True Pan-European
    Religion
    atheist
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    Nope. It was only used in this meaning in relation to gods (swiętość), the original meaning is same as it is now ("holy"), see IndoEuropean cognates - "saint", Latin "sanctus", Avestan "spǝnta", Lithuanian "šventas" et cetera, all meaning the same.
    Sorry I can't found nothing in English, it's in Polish:

Jaka jest genealogia słów święto, świętować?
    Z przyjemnością przedstawię pochodzenie wymienionych w pytaniu wyrazów. Rzeczownik święto pochodzi od dawnej, tzw. krótkiej, formy przymiotnika święty w rodzaju nijakim. Natomiast sam przymiotnik zarówno w odmianie krótkiej, prostej: świąt, święta, święto, jak i długiej, złożonej: święty, święta, święte jest dziedzictwem prasłowiańskim i występuje we wszystkich językach słowiańskich. Pierwotne, prasłowiańskie znaczenie tego przymiotnika to 'mocny, silny'; zachowało się w przedchrześcijańskich imionach Świętopełk to znaczy 'mający mocne, silne pułki', Świętosław, czyli 'cieszący się dużą sławą'. Znaczenie wtórne ukształtowało się w czasach przyjmowania chrześcijaństwa pod wpływem łac. sanctus, stąd święty to 'mocny duchem, mający moc nadprzyrodzoną'. Ta zmiana znaczeniowa polegała na przejściu od konkretu (tężyzna fizyczna) do abstraktu (siła ducha, charakteru). Później święty oznaczał również 'błogosławiony, pobożny' oraz 'świąteczny, uroczysty', a w użyciu rzeczownikowym 'osoba czczona publicznie i powszechnie, kanonizowana po śmierci'.
    Święto to właśnie święty dzień, czyli 'dzień obchodzony uroczyście ze względów kulturowych', a później także innych, np. narodowych, państwowych.
    Od rzeczownika święto pochodzi czasownik świętować 'obchodzić święto; spędzać jakiś dzień uroczyście'.
    Wyrazów pochodzących od święty, święto jest bardzo dużo, m.in.: przysłówek święcie oraz świętoszek, świętokradca, świątynia, odświętny, świątobliwy, święcić, święcone.
    Pozdrawiam świątecznie

— Krystyna Długosz-Kurczabowa, Uniwersytet Warszawski

Last Online
    04-07-2014 @ 07:53 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Corded
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Sleswig, Silesia, Rzeczpospolita
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Schleswig
    Y-DNA
    N1c
    Taxonomy
    Robust horseface with a touch of mong
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 92

0 Not allowed!

Pierwotne, prasłowiańskie znaczenie tego przymiotnika to 'mocny, silny'; zachowało się w przedchrześcijańskich imionach Świętopełk to znaczy 'mający mocne, silne pułki', Świętosław, czyli 'cieszący się dużą sławą'. Znaczenie wtórne ukształtowało się w czasach przyjmowania chrześcijaństwa pod wpływem łac. sanctus, stąd święty to 'mocny duchem, mający moc nadprzyrodzoną'. Ta zmiana znaczeniowa polegała na przejściu od konkretu (tężyzna fizyczna) do abstraktu (siła ducha, charakteru).
    I disagree with this. Esp. the idea that the meaning was derived from Christian influence, because this word has the same meaning in ALL Slavic languages, and Slavs were christianized after they've already split to dialects, and such an evolution absolutely could not possibly involve the whole Slavic area from Novgorod to Thessalonica. Also, check, for example, Baltic languages. Lithuanians and Prussians were the last to be christianized in Europe, as late as XIV century - and still have the same meaning of the same Balto-Slavic root - "švent̃as", Old Prussian "swentas". The etymology of Slavic "*swęntŭs" is exactly same as of Latin "sanctus". It might have for some period had that meaning as in the article (mocny, silny), but it was secondary. The primary meaning of this root has not changed since P.Indo-European times. Compare Vedic Sanskrit "cvāntás", Avestan "spǝnta-" et cetera, same.

a w użyciu rzeczownikowym 'osoba czczona publicznie i powszechnie, kanonizowana po śmierci'.
    Yes, this meaning is obviously from Christianity (since such a thing hadn't existed prior to it) - "holy" in Christian sense as opposed to "divine"/"miraculous" in Pagan sense.

Last Online
    06-27-2012 @ 09:01 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

One of the most beautiful mitologic creatures in Slavic paganism, which was presented in all Slavics.

Žar ptica

veni, vidi, dormivi

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Vile (in english fairies), we had a lot of them especially Montenegrins and Serbs like vile...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_fairies

I couldn't find something more representative about Baš Čelik, but we couldn't forget him as a part of our mytology.
    veni, vidi, dormivi

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Corded
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Schleswig
    Y-DNA
    N1c
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amarantine View Post
    One of the most beautiful mitologic creatures in Slavic paganism, which was presented in all
    Actually "Žar Ptica" ("Fire bird") is a fairy-tale derivative of a far darker Slavic mythological creature - the Rarog. It is the fire hawk-demon, associated with hurricanes, dragons, and firestorms. On the other hand, it could bring fortune (hence the fairy tales about fire bird's feather bringing luck et cetera).

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Isn't so beautiful that we share so common things...thnks to this thread I am in "so Slavic mood"
    veni, vidi, dormivi

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-26-2013 @ 10:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32

0 Not allowed!

Żar ptaki were apparently living in the crown of the tree that symbolised universe, while its roots was guarded by żmije. These were another sort of demons, and belief in żmije was common to all Slavs. Żmij personified some "heavenly" phenomenons like comets. It was apparently believed to be a guardian and protector of people.

Long earthwork fortifications built by Kievan dukes against steppe nomads were called "wały żmijowe". I wonder if its because of some connection to the demon, or just simply because they were long and "snaking around" the countryside

Żmij or a dragon featured in the coat of arms of one Masovian ducal family from the Piast dynasty (dukes of Czersk):

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Earth female
    Ethnicity
    Europe
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post

Żmij or a dragon featured in the coat of arms of one Masovian ducal family from the Piast dynasty (dukes of Czersk):

hmmmm looks like Dragon which was-is in used in Wales.
    veni, vidi, dormivi

А на красивые фантики клюют даже отпетые &#108 nisse's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-17-2010 @ 07:36 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    -
    Ethnicity
    -
    Politics
    -
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

0 Not allowed!

Some of my favourite mythical creatures are берегині/русалки..although I like many mythological creatures (I don't like the scary ones...although there are any of those).

Most of my knowledge about Slavic mythology is from ethnographic studies that I've looked at over the years, and some is from books such as "Вечера на хуторе близ Диканики", which I enjoyed immensely both because it's about the area I'm from and because of the folkloric element...I have to say, I much preferred reading it to reading ethnography textbooks ...just wish there'd be more books like that.

Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Corded
    Ethnicity
    European
    Ancestry
    Country
    Italy
    Region
    Schleswig
    Y-DNA
    N1c
    Taxonomy
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Long earthwork fortifications built by Kievan dukes against steppe nomads were called "wały żmijowe". I wonder if its because of some connection to the demon, or just simply because they were long and "snaking around" the countryside
    Russian source -

Nazwanije "Zmijev Wał" proischodzit ot narodnych legend o starodawnich bohaterach, kotory usmierziły i zaprzagły Zmija (alegoria koczewnikow atakujucych Ruś) w gigantski pług i propaсhały brazdu dla oborony ot stepi.
    (Don't think translation is necessary).

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information