Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Patrick Bateman
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,268
    Given: 92

0 Not allowed!

So it proves that there were some influences.
    I never argued with that. Influences were quite significant.

Swarog/Swarozyc is the only Slavic known from both the territories of Western and Eastern Slavs in historical sources.
    Also Weles and Jarilo/Jarovit.

The whole discussion went off tangent here, when you introduced the problem of genetic relation:
    At first i misunderstood your original post as implying some relation, but then you really brought up Satem-Centum and i jumped to the battle .

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    06-26-2013 @ 10:21 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 0

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Cail View Post
    I never argued with that. Influences were quite significant.

Also Weles and Jarilo/Jarovit.
    I am not certain about Weles. Historical sources mention he was a deity worshipped in Rus. That is certain. Some claim that Veles survived in Czech and Kashubian folklore as a demon of death or underworld - like Vele or Velevitka. Perhaps it is true, but I think that we will never know for sure since even if we equate them with Weles then he could have been "relegated" to such a level long before Christianity or could never have achieved the status of a chief deity in the West... But fair enough, it's a bit like Swarog/Rarog and the Iranian bird-gods or Swarga. This is some argument in favour of relation.

That is why I prefer to stick to contemporary written accounts. In these only Swarog and his Western variant Swarozyc seem to be attested a gods of both East and West Slavs.

On the internet you can find claims that Veles was the same Trzygłów, Trojan or even Rugewit, but I am sceptical since we know so little about those western gods. Likewise, I don't trust the aguments of toponymy - like Wolgast --> Weles (the whole relation between wół -> weles is dubious according to Brückner).

At first i misunderstood your original post as implying some relation, but then you really brought up Satem-Centum and i jumped to the battle .
    LOL! I see its a touchy subject with you!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread Information