h1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8,158
    Given: 4,510

3 Not allowed!

Default Fluoride - not a conspiracy

Water Fluoridation Linked to Higher ADHD Rates

FLUORIDE & IQ: THE 43 STUDIES

^ People not from red areas, don't think you are OK. Tea has lots of fluoride

Last Online
    01-26-2020 @ 09:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Canadian
    Country
    Canada
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136
    Given: 0

1 Not allowed!

Last edited by igo112; 03-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.

Last Online
    10-21-2021 @ 07:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Terrarian
    Country
    Norway
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3,303
    Given: 2,746

1 Not allowed!

Fortunately they don't add fluoride to the water supply here.

Last Online
    01-04-2024 @ 04:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    ¯
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,169
    Given: 973

2 Not allowed!

Water fluoridation has always been one practice I've been somewhat skeptical of. Unfortunately, though, it's still prone to being imbued with a whole lot of silliness and misinformation from conspiracy theorists who believe in conspiracy more than they do any actual belief; and I fear that it may not be getting its due attention because it's easy to bin it with baseless conspiratard claims like the supposed autism-vaccination connection. It would be a shame to delay finding the next asbestos, DDT, or MTBE because conspiratards' impressive track record of never being right makes it so easy to dismiss any idea they support in any fashion.

I really do wonder if the potential risks of water fluoridation are being properly investigated. As with any chemical, including water, fluoride is toxic above a certain level ("the dose makes the poison"). There's not really solid research out there that clears up what the dose at which fluoride's negative effects (neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption) become apparent truly is. The kids in, e.g., China who have been shown to have slight decreased IQs from fluoride exposure are getting absolutely overloaded with it, at levels that far exceed those found when its addition is controlled. Whether there are harmful effects at lower levels isn't perfectly clear. Still, there's reason for caution. Here's a study published recently, in England, that links increased rates of hypothyroidism (an endocrine disorder) with areas that practice fluoridation: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25714098
    FINDINGS: We found that higher levels of fluoride in drinking water provide a useful contribution for predicting prevalence of hypothyroidism. We found that practices located in the West Midlands (a wholly fluoridated area) are nearly twice as likely to report high hypothyroidism prevalence in comparison to Greater Manchester (non-fluoridated area).
    All of that said, this new study showing a correlation between water fluoridation and higher rates of ADHD is not proof of any negative effects. It's mere correlation, not causation. Too many variables aren't being controlled for. Most importantly, it's not directly testing fluoride exposure against ADHD diagnosis. And on top of that, ADHD is very flimsy as diagnoses go.
    The study isn't close to pointing to anything definitive. However, it was never going to, just based on the nature of the experimental design (and the authors are well aware of these limitations). But it's still an important one—one that calls for further investigation, at the very least.

Banned
    Last Online
    06-23-2021 @ 06:41 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    EM78GREENSAVANNAH's best friend
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
    The kids in, e.g. China who have been shown to have slight decreased IQs from fluoride exposure are getting absolutely overloaded with it
    10 IQ point reduction cannot be considered "slight", the majority of the overseas studies showed this much reduction in IQ and in some studies even well into the double digits.

The Fluoride content in my cities water is 1.2 ppm...... compare that to the amounts used in the studies:

Studies have found IQ reductions at 1.4 ppm (Zhang 2012); 1.8 ppm (Xu 1994); 1.9 ppm (Xiang 2003a,b); 0.3-3.0 ppm (Ding 2011); 2.0 ppm (Yao 1996, 1997); 2.1-3.2 ppm (An 1992); 2.3 ppm (Trivedi 2012); 2.38 ppm (Poureslami 2011); 2.45 ppm (Eswar 2011); 2.5 ppm (Seraj 2006); 2.85 ppm (Hong 2001); 2.97 ppm (Wang 2001, Yang 1994); 3.1 ppm (Seraj 2012); 3.15 ppm (Lu 2000); 3.94 ppm (Karimzade 2014); and 4.12 ppm (Zhao 1996)
    It also varies on the individual, people involved in athletic activity drink more water than sedentary people, and also those who drink tea as a leisurely activity have potential to exceed the Chinese studies when it comes to Fluoride intake.

Water fluoridation has always been one practice I've been somewhat skeptical of. Unfortunately, though, it's still prone to being imbued with a whole lot of silliness and misinformation from conspiracy theorists who believe in conspiracy more than they do any actual belief; and I fear that it may not be getting its due attention because it's easy to bin it with baseless conspiratard claims like the supposed autism-vaccination connection. It would be a shame to delay finding the next asbestos, DDT, or MTBE because conspiratards' impressive track record of never being right makes it so easy to dismiss any idea they support in any fashion.
    When there are people like Alex Jones and David Icke - founder of Reptilian theory (btw relation to my username is purely coincidental) who endorse anti-fluoridation, it is hard to associate yourself in any way with such people. They make claims that Fluoride was used by the Nazi's to keep camp subjects "docile and submissive" - which has been proven not to be factual at all. I don't think countries who fluoridate their water are even aware of the health risks, much like smoking cigarettes was once considered harmless as well as lead paint, so that's where rational anti-fluoride people differ from the delusional Alex Jones types.

I really do wonder if the potential risks of water fluoridation are being properly investigated. As with any chemical, including water, fluoride is toxic above a certain level ("the dose makes the poison"). There's not really solid research out there that clears up what the dose at which fluoride's negative effects (neurotoxicity, endocrine disruption) become apparent truly is.
    It is well known that Fluoride being a Halogen competes with another Halogen Iodine, for absorption, so this latest study that shows impaired thyroid function is not surprising at all, actually it's completely unnecessary, captain obvious stuff which is why I didn't even mention it.

Any Halogen can disrupt Iodine absorption, even Bromine which although outlawed in Europe is still used in many products in U.S. like Mountain Dew which can cause Bromine toxicity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromism

Under-active thyroid from *lack of dietary Iodine and then *Fluoride acting as a substitute for this lack of dietary Iodine is only one of the ways Fluoride causes health problems. The other is more serious and involves a direct impact on Nueron functioning in the brain:

Depending on what it is associated with (e.g., aluminium), F can pass through
    the brain-blood barrier and accumulate in the brain and cause damage in neuronal
    development and function by decreasing neural synapses, neurotransmitter
    synthesis, and the number of receptors.27-29 It also impairs the central neural
    system, leading to fatigue, malaise, insomnia, headache, lethargy, daze, mental
    impairment, and memory dysfunction
    EFFECTS OF FLUORIDE ON ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION IN MICE

Last Online
    01-04-2024 @ 04:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    ¯
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,169
    Given: 973

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    10 IQ point reduction cannot be considered "slight", the majority of the overseas studies showed this much reduction in IQ and in some studies even well into the double digits.
    I was looking at something that mentioned less than a full point. I'll have to look closer at the studies.

In any case, I would imagine the fluoride exposure in places like these Chinese cities is heavily correlated with a bunch of other factors that could also potentially fuck up people's nervous systems, making it hard to assess causality, but 10 IQ points at those concentrations? That's insane if legitimate.

Last Online
    09-17-2015 @ 06:23 AM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Celt/Roman/German mix
    Ethnicity
    British
    Ancestry
    English/Anglian, Irish, Italian, French, Huguenot
    Country
    New Zealand
    Region
    England
    Taxonomy
    alpine, + mediterranean/nordic mix
    Politics
    organic/love/theocracy
    Religion
    christian
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

0 Not allowed!

The real issue is about the "increased" tooth decay not the fluoride. The problem is that eveyrone is so busy trying to be "scientific" that they forget about the real issue. The pro-fluoridationists refuse to address the root issues: eg lots of our food is full of sugar esp breakfast cereals & biscuits etc.
    I find it hard to believe it is not a conspiracy.
    They don't just add fluoride but also alluminium.
    see my blog posts on this at :
    http://historum.com/blogs/rob+banks/...ion-facts.html
    and at
    2rbetterthan1.wordpress.com
    The bible said 1/3rd of the world's water would be turned to wormwood/blood.
    Do unto others as you would have done to you is the whole of the law.

p.s. thats interesting about ocean fish, gealtin, chicken skin, i didn't know that. Anyone that wants fluoride can easily get it themselves without forcing it on the rest of us.

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Collection of studies about fluoride:

http://www.slweb.org/bibliography.html#neurodamage

Last Online
    04-05-2015 @ 02:39 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Caucasoid
    Ethnicity
    White guy with green eyes.
    Ancestry
    Well everybody I meet tells me I'm a different ancestry. All guess I'm some kind of ethnic white.
    Country
    United States
    Region
    Isle of Man
    Y-DNA
    pseudoscience.
    mtDNA
    pseudoscience.
    Taxonomy
    It's 2015 not 1874
    Politics
    None
    Hero
    I like pastrami on rye.
    Religion
    Logic and reason.
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 9

0 Not allowed!

It's either fluoride or English teeth you choose...

Banned
    Last Online
    Meta-Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Bessarabian Jew
    Country
    Israel
    Region
    Aboriginal
    Y-DNA
    g2a1
    mtDNA
    h1
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

It should be mentioned that the #1 way people are exposed to fluoride is brushing teeth. The amount you get from toothpaste is exponentially greater than drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Even if you think you don't swallow any of it, you actually do. And also fluoride particles are very small and the mouth and cheeks are the best way to absorb anything, that's why tobacco products like snus or chew are taken sublingually.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Weiss View Post
    It's either fluoride or English teeth you choose...
    I'd rather sacrifice my teeth than compromise a single one of my precious brain functions. The benefits of fluoride on teeth enamel are minimal at best. Why not stop eating all that sugary shit and brush with fluoride free toothpaste or baking soda instead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information