PHP Warning: Illegal string offset 'type' in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 113
Sudden Repulsion Syndrome: When One Tiny Thing Your Partner Does Spells Doom for the Relationship

View Poll Results: Have you ever experienced Sudden Repulsion Syndrome towards someone?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 53.85%
  • No

4 30.77%
  • Not sure

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudden Repulsion Syndrome: When One Tiny Thing Your Partner Does Spells Doom for the Relationship

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35,722
    Given: 17,037

6 Not allowed!

Default Sudden Repulsion Syndrome: When One Tiny Thing Your Partner Does Spells Doom for the Relationship

When One Tiny Thing Your Partner Does Spells Doom for the Relationship

Source: https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/artic...e-relationship

Sudden Repulsion Syndrome is what happens when a small decision or behavior puts an abrupt end to a budding relationship. We investigate the common causes of SRS and what this says about dating culture today.

For Heather, the first barf-worthy moment presented itself near the beginning of a budding romance. Her would-be suitor, a "Corey Feldman lookalike" with a penchant for fedoras, showed up to their third date with drastically shorter hair. "It actually looked pretty great, until he turned around and I saw that he had left a tightly braided rat tail cascading from the nape of his neck," Heather said. She tried to be a "good sport" about the dangling mane—AKA, they still had sex—but, she says, "I had to keep moving the tail off his back and out of my sight during the act because the look of that tiny braid moving in tandem with his spine was absolutely ghastly! I stopped seeing him a couple weeks later for a lot of reasons, but mostly it was because of the rat tail."

While Heather's decision to terminate the relationship seems rational, her sudden, visceral reaction to her mate's haircut suggests a distinct phenomenon at work — namely, Sudden Repulsion Syndrome (SRS), a term first devised in 2007 to describe "a small, seemingly insignificant thing — a behavior, a physical characteristic, a genetic disposition toward Hummels — that immediately and irrevocably renders your mate unattractive." The syndrome, as its name would suggest, comes on quickly — it can alter your perception of a boyfriend within a matter of minutes. It's also fatal to the relationship.

The science behind SRS, just like everything else about it, is still up for debate, but it seems to occur in the aftermath of a honeymoon period. Once the dopamine has worn off, a flaw first dismissed as a quirk suddenly becomes a relationship's death sentence.

Despite the fact that obsessing over relationship minutiae seems like a holdover from a simpler time (2007 was also a year when people blogged about minutia for fun!), a quick survey among acquaintances revealed that yes, sudden repulsion still happens to people, including "good people" who don't usually have dirtbag knee-jerky reactions to things that happen around them (and who wouldn't "next" someone unless they had a good reason).

This would seem to indicate that SRS isn't simply neuroticism in overdrive. Perhaps, instead, it offers people an excuse to get out of a relationship they had a sneaking suspicion wouldn't work out in the first place—whether due to a partner's poor taste in film, questionable tramp stamp, or voluminous Instagram hashtags. But it remains debatable which revelations are worth torpedoing a relationship over.

One friend described to me an unsettling anime portrait, drawn for her by a date as a romantic gesture, as a deal breaker. "It was terrible!" she exclaimed, which seems a bit harsh if everything else about her suitor had been perfect. (Incidentally, it had not been.)

Dating coach Julie Spira notes that constantly feeling besieged by a date's unsavory traits could be a sign that your standards are impossibly high. "When clients that I'm coaching tell me they don't like someone's haircut, or had a problem with a tattoo they never knew about, I tell them not to sweat the small stuff," she said. "We are living in a society where we've turn into perfectionists, especially when it comes to love."

"It's one thing to be picky, but some singles have become so overly picky that they will dump their partner for wearing flip flops or shoes with socks," she continued.

In other cases, however, the repulsion seems justified. Lindsey had been seeing Valerie for a few weeks when her date made a late night confession that immediately killed the vibe. "She told me how she used to smuggle drugs into the country. I asked her if it was meth and she just winked at me," she said. Lindsey had already decided Valerie was a "shitty dog owner," but the meth smuggling was a deal breaker.

For Corey, it was an abrasive EDM rock song his date had produced that filled him with antipathy. "It was the most god awful song I'd ever heard, and it was about her, too," he told me. "At this point, she had already ghosted me for a week and I was kind of bummed about it but hearing the song made it all better. I thought, 'Oh, wow, well at least I don't have to pretend to like this.'"

For others, though, SRS describes a self-defeating tendency that attaches itself to otherwise perfectly serviceable relationships. "It wasn't until my senior year in high school when I had a chance to observe a pattern," recalled Stephanie. "Every time I started dating someone new and they stopped being unattainable and started being reciprocating and vulnerable, they immediately became disgusting for a period of anywhere between one week to thirty days."

Stephanie says she now doesn't sweat it when she feels disgusted by a new lover, knowing the feeling will eventually pass. When she dated a charming Bostonian whose accent had suddenly become a liability, she "waited two weeks, faked happiness, and the repulsion evaporated. Just like that."

"I didn't even realize that this happened to other people until I gently proposed my repulsion theory to several close girlfriends," she added. "It's more common than you'd think."

Last Online
    04-01-2024 @ 05:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    White American
    Country
    United States
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,266
    Given: 7,816

3 Not allowed!

If she farts in front of me, it's over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    But 2 dicks in the ass is a really cool experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Profileid View Post
    He's ashamed his son is almost 40 years old and only works a few hours a week as a dancing cow.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

5 Not allowed!

It happened to me once, very badly. I was seeing this guy, and the shape of his head bothered me so much I called off the relationship. It became so intense that I couldn't see anything else except his egg-head. The worst thing about such an egg-head is that you cannot hide it. If you have a horrible wart on your knee, nobody sees it and it can be removed. The only option for this man was the guillotine.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

2 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lightshade25 View Post
    If she farts in front of me, it's over.
    Girls fart. Get over it.

Veteran Member
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Country
    Belgium
    Y-DNA
    R-CTS241
    mtDNA
    K1
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15,955
    Given: 11,667

6 Not allowed!

I also once woke up next to a girl I was seeing and lost physical attraction to her. It was very awkward. She was desperately fishing for affection in vain because she noticed something was wrong. I broke up with her soon thereafter. One and half year later I started to become infatuated with my memory of her again and I noticed her logging on my MSN (still blocked) a week later. I decided to contact her again but we quickly met again. Sadly it didn't work because I believe I fucked up in more ways than once.
    I was 19 at the time and thought I knew how the world works and that didn't work with her. It didn't help that her best friend who was my best friend's girlfriend didn't like me and influenced her. I still was friendly to her, but I fucked up in one faux-pas by talking about her mental illness to her in a disparaging way. Shouldn't have done that. She broke all contact with me, and I fucked up by sending her ten e-mail over the course of one month. Meeting her now would be too awkward for both her as myself so I'm left with the idea of what could have been.

I got over her, but she was my second and she still is stuck in my head and I doubt I'll ever forget her. Learned a lot from the real experience and also a lot in the years until now from my dreams where she appeared in. But were I to meet her tomorrow, I'd be very distant and so would she and it would feel awkward for both of us.

Last Online
    01-10-2019 @ 02:04 PM
    Ethnicity
    Shqiptar
    Country
    Albania
    Y-DNA
    J2b2-L283
    Hero
    MrMalus
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5,957
    Given: 7,024

5 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimiera View Post
    It happened to me once, very badly. I was seeing this guy, and the shape of his head bothered me so much I called off the relationship. It became so intense that I couldn't see anything else except his egg-head. The worst thing about such an egg-head is that you cannot hide it. If you have a horrible wart on your knee, nobody sees it and it can be removed. The only option for this man was the guillotine.

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

1 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Danielion View Post
    She broke all contact with me, and I fucked up by sending her ten e-mail over the course of one month.

I am embarrassed for you.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-27-2021 @ 09:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    italic, Mediterranian , Romance , Neanderthal
    Ethnicity
    south european
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Lazio
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H
    Hero
    Kazimiera
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 1,690

0 Not allowed!

well :-)) sure it was not love
    i hope that guy was not in love too

Fantasy Peddler
    Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Caucasian
    Country
    South Africa
    mtDNA
    I1b
    Thumbs Up

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Amor Vincit Omnia View Post
    well :-)) sure it was not love
    i hope that guy was not in love too
    He was more into me than I was into him. It turned out nasty, but that is a story for another day.

It was like this!!!! The more you try not to see it the more visible it becomes.

Veteran Member Apricity Funding Member
    "Friend of Apricity"

Last Online
    06-27-2021 @ 09:29 PM
    Meta-Ethnicity
    italic, Mediterranian , Romance , Neanderthal
    Ethnicity
    south european
    Country
    European Union
    Region
    Lazio
    Y-DNA
    R1b
    mtDNA
    H
    Hero
    Kazimiera
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,074
    Given: 1,690

1 Not allowed!

Girls fart. Get over it.

DO attention , if u are a Highly Sensitive person don't read this :

About fart i have to tell a story .

I remember i was around 20 n i was almost drunk
    I was in a car with a my friend .....and i fart ....yes i fart in a terrible stinky way .

and what i did ? i did the most infamous thing a human could do !!!

before he could be able to open the window I blocked him and i putted one of my hand on his mouth so he could not breathe with his mouth but only with his nose .

I think i ll go to hell for that

I know i know it's disgusting .....but i enjoyed it in a satanic sadic way
    Last edited by Amor Vincit Omnia; 02-15-2017 at 11:38 PM.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information