PDA

View Full Version : Can this Afghan pass as a Slav?

Sikeliot
11-02-2013, 10:36 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c9/TJKAAPamiri_Tajik.jpg

Mans not hot
11-02-2013, 10:38 PM
Lol, no.

Smeagol
11-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Maybe, but atypical.

Azalea
11-02-2013, 10:59 PM
That's an ethnic Tajik man AFAIK.

It even says in your link: Pamiri Tajik.

Sikeliot
11-02-2013, 10:59 PM
That's an ethnic Tajik man AFAIK.

33% of the Afghan population is Tajik. They are the second largest, after Pashtuns who make up 44%.

Azalea
11-02-2013, 11:07 PM
33% of the Afghan population is Tajik. They are the second largest, after Pashtuns who make up 44%.

Tajiks make up 26% of the Afghan population and they are often not even considered 'real Afghans'. Only Pashtuns are - which is also the ethnic group that comes to mind when people think of Afghans. Anyway, ethnicity is far more relevant than nationality and it's not even clear if this man is from Afghanistan to begin with.

Sikeliot
11-02-2013, 11:08 PM
Tajiks make up 26% of the Afghan population and they are often not even considered 'real Afghans'. Only Pashtuns are - which is also the ethnic group that comes to mind when people think of Afghans. Anyway, ethnicity is far more relevant than nationality and it's not even clear if this man is from Afghanistan to begin with.

Pashtuns don't even make up half of the population. There is no "real Afghan" since Afghan isn't an ethnicity to begin with; the people are Tajik, Hazara, Pashtun, etc.

NORWORLD
11-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Could pass as a Turk.

Azalea
11-02-2013, 11:18 PM
You can go ask any person from that area, the ethnic group associated with Afghanistan are the Pashtuns. Pashtuns are considered to be 'real Afghan' whether you think there is a real Afghan ethnic group or not. And even though they don't make up the majority of the Afghan demographics, they are by far the largest ethnic group in the country. Besides all of this, it's not even clear if than is from Afghanistan to begin with. So seriously, why this discussion? I just pointed out the ethnic group of this man, which is even in the link of your picture, yet you are throwing in (false) numbers and what more?

Then again, why do I bother replying to your thread. It's like talking to an autistic person.

Sikeliot
11-02-2013, 11:20 PM
This photo was posted in another thread here as Afghan. If you have an issue take it up with them. I can even provide you with the link.

Mark
11-02-2013, 11:22 PM
He doesn't look Slavic to me.

armenianbodyhair
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
No.

Azalea
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Issue with what? If anyone has an issue with anything, it's obviously you with me mentioning the ethnicity of this man. It's very much possible someone posted this in an Afghanistan thread. Maybe even posing him as a Pashtun man. But the link information is clear and even when you google the picture, it's obvious that this man is Tajik. You couldn't figure that yourself?

Azalea
11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Correction btw, this man is not even Tajik but ethnic Pamiri from Tajikistan. Similar to Tajiks, but not the same. Have fun classifying. :)

Hayalet
11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Could pass as a Turk.
Agreed, he would look typically Turkish with a darker eye color.

Sisak
11-02-2013, 11:28 PM
yes

Sikeliot
11-02-2013, 11:31 PM
Issue with what? If anyone has an issue with anything, it's obviously you with me mentioning the ethnicity of this man. It's very much possible someone posted this in an Afghanistan thread. Maybe even posing him as a Pashtun man. But the link information is clear and even when you google the picture, it's obvious that this man is Tajik. You couldn't figure that yourself?

They listed him in the thread as Tajik from Afghanistan.

Azalea
11-02-2013, 11:32 PM
Well it's an ethnic Pamiri man from Tajikistan. So now you know. It took me 30 seconds googling.

Dynamo
11-03-2013, 12:01 AM

I'm sorry but don't make assumptions when you're not afghan yourself. Tajiks are afghans as much as Pashtuns are, they have been inter marrying with each other for a very long time. It's media and stupid patriotic people that brings division between these two ethnic groups. Yes they do speak different languages, but they both respect each other and a lot of afghans have ancestry from both groups. As for the man, he is an afghan from the north, and yeah IMO he could pass in the Slavic countries.

Dynamo
11-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Correction btw, this man is not even Tajik but ethnic Pamiri from Tajikistan. Similar to Tajiks, but not the same. Have fun classifying. :)
Nope, pamiris are a sub group of the Tajiks.

Pjeter Pan
11-03-2013, 12:05 AM
I see he's been smoking dat good kush

Azalea
11-03-2013, 12:11 AM
My experience with Afghans (Pashtuns) is that Tajiks are often not liked. But then again, this my experience.

When it comes to this man, he is not from Afghanistan. Take the link of the picture, go to google images, fill in the link and you'll get the source of the picture. This man is a Pamiri from Tajikistan. Not from Afghanistan.

And Pamiri people are considered to be a different ethnic group. They are not a sub group of Tajiks. They actually speak a different Iranic language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamiri_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamir_languages

Dynamo
11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
My experience with Afghans is that Tajiks are often not liked. But then again, this my experience.

When it comes to this man, he is not from Afghanistan. Take the link of the picture, go to google images, fill in the link and you'll get the source of the picture. This man is a Pamiri from Tajikistan. Not from Afghanistan.

And Pamiri people are considered to be a different ethnic group. They are not a sub group of Tajiks. They actually speak a different Iranic language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamiri_people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamir_languages

Like I said, stupid patriotic people try to divide themselves. Normal afghans don't care if your pashtun or Tajik, they hang around each other normally. Although Dari is usually speaked between them, easier language? Probably. It doesn't matter if the guy is from Tajikistan or not. Pamiri people are classified as Tajiks ( in my experience as being an afghan) they are a eastern Iranian people. They speak a different language but still grouped under Tajiks

Azalea
11-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Well I won't intermingle in Afghan affairs. You are from Afghanistan so you probably know better. But you must understand that Tajik means alien, foreign, non-Turk. It's originally a Turkic term and it was used for Iranic peoples by Turks. So it's not that strange that some Iranic peoples are still labeled under this term, but looking at it from a objective point of view, it doesn't make sence to classify Pamiris and Tajiks together. It would be like classifying Kurds as Pashtuns, Persians as Kurds, etc. etc. Even anthropologists classify Pamiris as a separate ethnic group - and so does your country. As a matter of fact, from what I have read, only China labels Pamiris as Tajiks.

Dynamo
11-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Well I won't intermingle in Afghan affairs. You are from Afghanistan so you probably know better. But you must understand that Tajik means alien, foreign, non-Turk. It's originally a Turkic term and it was used for Iranic peoples by Turks. So it's not that strange that some Iranic peoples are still labeled under this term, but looking at it from a objective point of view, it doesn't make sence to classify Pamiris and Tajiks together. It would be like classifying Kurds as Pashtuns, Persians as Kurds, etc. etc. Even anthropologists classify Pamiris as a separate ethnic group - and so does your country. As a matter of fact, from what I have read, only China labels Pamiris as Tajiks.

I get your point but the examples were awful lol. Why are you trying to make pamiris so different than Tajiks? Believe me I'm a afghan myself and people class pamiris as Tajiks. The only difference is their native language and where they live, which is in badakhshan province. Please it sounds like pamiri people should gain independence from what you're speaking lol. The ones living in Afghanistan are, afghan then Tajik then badakhshani or pamiri. Easy :)

Azalea
11-03-2013, 01:13 AM
I am not trying to make them different, I am only showing you that they are two different ethnic groups. This is not my personal view, opinion or whatever. It's a proven fact. Basic anthropology. Other than that, I have zero connection or what so ever to these people and I couldn't give a damn if they would gain independence, or not.

Chaya
11-03-2013, 01:18 AM
no

Dynamo
11-03-2013, 01:22 AM
I am not trying to make them different, I am only showing you that they are two different ethnic groups. This is not my personal view, opinion or whatever. It's a proven fact. Basic anthropology. Other than that, I have zero connection or what so ever to these people and I couldn't give a damn if they would gain independence, or not.

What facts are you telling me already that I don't know? I just said in society it's different, phenotypic ally they're the same as Tajiks.

Shah-Jehan
11-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Balkan Slav maybe?

MINARDOWICZ
11-03-2013, 01:33 AM
More like a turk but yes he could pass...

rashka
11-03-2013, 01:46 AM
Part of him looks Russian, part looks Iranian and a minor part is Mongol. He has that distinct Pamir or Iranian chin that one sees often amongst them.