PDA

View Full Version : Would banning firearms reduce murder and suicide ? (Harvard study)

The Lawspeaker
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
WOULD BANNING FIREARMS REDUCE
MURDER AND SUICIDE?

A REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL AND
SOME DOMESTIC EVIDENCE
DON B. KATES* AND GARY MAUSER**

INTRODUCTION .................................................. ..........650
I. VIOLENCE: THE DECISIVENESS OF
SOCIAL FACTORS........................................... ........660
II. ASKING THE WRONG QUESTION..........................662
III. DO ORDINARY PEOPLE MURDER?........................665
IV. MORE GUNS, LESS CRIME?....................................670
V. GEOGRAPHIC, HISTORICAL AND DEMOGRAPHIC
PATTERNS.......................................... .....................673
A. Demographic Patterns ..................................676
B. Macro‐historical Evidence: From the
Middle Ages to the 20th Century .................678
C. Later and More Specific Macro‐Historical
Evidence.......................................... ................684
D. Geographic Patterns within Nations ..........685

Note by Asega:
Thank you, Ulf (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115747&postcount=180).

Atlas
10-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah. You can kill and commit suicide with a knife.

The Lawspeaker
10-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah. You can kill and commit suicide with a knife.
Or with a rope- I know plenty of people that can kill using nothing more then their bare hands.

nohypocrisy
10-28-2009, 10:19 PM
It's easier to kill with a firearm than with a knife or rope. A baby that for mistake found daddy's pistol could kill an adult man while it could be almost impossible if he found mommy's kitchen knife.

The Lawspeaker
10-28-2009, 10:25 PM
It's easier to kill with a firearm than with a knife or rope. A baby that for mistake found daddy's pistol could kill an adult man while it could be almost impossible if he found mommy's kitchen knife.
Yes. So tell me. What idiot would leave a gun on a place where a kid could find it ?
Those things belong in locked cabinets to which only mummy and daddy have the keys.

nohypocrisy
10-28-2009, 10:32 PM
Yes. So tell me. What idiot would leave a gun on a place where a kid could find it ?

A redneck probably. And it has happened before so it seems there is a lot of idiots in this world.

The Lawspeaker
10-28-2009, 10:38 PM
A redneck probably. And it has happened before so it seems there is a lot of idiots in this world.
Yes so blame the idiots that can't handle a gun. Not the majority of gun owners.

Karaten
10-28-2009, 10:49 PM
You could make an argument for homicide with guns if not for Norway, but suicide cannot have an argument made. Suicide has no struggle and if someone were to commit suicide, they will find some way to do it, whether it's a gun, a knife, or some rope. I see no basis to conclude that you can even factor suicide into the argument.

Jamt
10-28-2009, 11:11 PM
Yes so blame the idiots that can't handle a gun. Not the majority of gun owners.

Nancy Reagan kept her gun by her bed I think. A lot of idiots in northen Sweden lean thier elk rifles behind the door and so on.

SwordoftheVistula
10-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Nancy Reagan kept her gun by her bed I think. A lot of idiots in northen Sweden lean thier elk rifles behind the door and so on.

Not a problem if you don't have young children. In fact, better to have access quickly in case of an intruder, so you aren't running around 'unlock gun cabinet, unlock ammo cabinet, take trigger lock off, load gun'..."hey you burglar hold still right there while I get this damn thing ready"

Nodens
10-29-2009, 12:10 AM
A child that is old enough to disengage the safety on a firearm should be old enough to have learned firearms responsibility.

Ulf
10-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Remember, the problem is the inanimate object, never would it be ignorance or stupidity!

Fuck educating people, we'll just ban the object for everyone! :thumb001: We should coddle the stupid.

We should ban all vehicles, too.

FACT (http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm): In 2006, there were 30,896 gun deaths in the U.S: 12,791 homicides (41% of total deaths), 16,883 suicides (55% of total deaths), 642 unintentional shootings (2% of total deaths), 360 from legal intervention (1.2% of total deaths) and 220 from undetermined intent (.8% of total deaths).
(Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2009.)

VS

Fatal Vehicle Crashes 39,189 (http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/fatal-accident-statistics.html)

Also (http://www.ichv.org/Statistics.htm):
Suicide is still the leading cause of firearm death in the U.S., representing 55% of total 2005 gun deaths nationwide. In 2005, the U.S. firearm suicide total was 17,002, a 1.5% INCREASE from 2004 suicide deaths. The state of Illinois saw a nearly 10% INCREASE in gun suicides from 387 in 2004 to 424 in 2005. Most suicides in the U.S. are committed with firearms.

-Numbers obtained from CDC National Center for Health Statistics mortality report online, 2008.