View Full Version : Child Prostitution - South Africa's young street walkers

Peyrol
11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISFxedkhl8

Kazimiera
11-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Child prostitution spiralling

http://www.vocfm.co.za/media/k2/items/src/842521f074d36199c5967bdae77618e1.jpg

Human trafficking and child prostitution is a cause for concern in the Mother City, especially in Bellville, where authorities have seen a worrying trend over the past few months. According to Mayco member for Safety and Security, Alderman JP Smith, they are see seeing a lot more young women being recruited into prostitution rings, particularly in Voortrekker Road. The other areas of concern are properties situated between the Main Road and Railway Road in Bellville, Parow and Goodwood.

“There is a lot of criminal activity and drug dealing taking place there. These are very problematic areas and one of the slum properties, Parksig Villas, has been the cause of a great deal of crime in the area and is becoming Bellville’s version of the derelict Senator Park in the City Centre. Police have spent a great deal of time on the building and SAPS have been raiding it continuously," Smith reported.

The Vice Squad have been continuously targeting the building due to tip-offs of prostitution and drug activity there. “That is where they found the 16-year-old girl... she was among the well-known faces there. It turns out that she was trafficked, however we see this scenario most of the time with the Chinese nationals and also at times with our neighbours from Mozambique and Zimbabwe.”

Most of the time, poor girls from informal settlements and especially rural areas are lured to Cape Town under false pretenses. “When they arrive… they find out that the job they were offered is not what they initially thought. It is in fact prostitution and they are pulled into the whole drug scene and forced to take drugs and raped. It is all downhill from there...”

Scourge

To curb the scourge of prostitution in the Mother City, the Vice Squad have partnered with the Provincial Task Team. “These joint efforts between the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), SAPS, various NGO’s and the City are important. A lot of work needs to be done to curb this onslaught, as a lot of young lives are being destroyed. Young men and women are pulled into prostitution and their lives are really wrecked as a result thereof.”

He said although some NGO’s believe prostitution is a career which many people choose, that is not what they see on the streets. “When they decide that they want to come off the street, we assist with the more developmental side. We do the policing, the arrests and issue the tickets to street walkers in terms of our city by-laws. We also provide support to those who indicated that they want to come off the street, they are then taken to places of safety, which are not in the public eye.”

Smith said the 'pimps' will not be able to recover them in these safe houses and eventually they can reintegrate with their families or extended families, which are often located outside the city. “Within the first six months of the Vice Squad operation, 10 cases were discovered, but over the last year we saw consistent figures building so we had several every month. I estimate that the figure now sits at about 30 or 40 cases.”

He said there are very few human trafficking cases, where a girl states that she is being held against her will. “What we often see is girls who are confused, unsure or scared, but they never say they are held against their will.” The girls are often introduced to the circumstances by a friend. “This was the case with the 16-year-old where she was taken to that block of flats a month before by a friend. She met the Nigerian nationals who live in the apartment. They then got her hooked on drugs and forced her to have sex with them, without payment. Once her self-esteem was demolished they then made her go out on the street.”

Trafficking

He said it is very difficult to determine if this is what happened when speaking to them on the street. It is also very difficult to call it trafficking, although there is manipulation and intimidation involved in almost every case. “We have seen cases almost as explicit this, but at times much worse. "A woman’s child was being held by the pimp in the evening while she was sent to work on Koeberg Road and she was not allowed to leave the pimps home during the day.

"There had to be a raid on the house to get her out. We tried to make contact with her before that, but the pimp unfortunately kept the staff away from her," he explained. "There is definitely a whole spectrum of intimidation and threatening behaviour, of which the furthest extreme is physical restraint, as was the case with this girl.”

Smith said deliberate attempts are often made to target very poor girls with little resources to check up on information and verify it as true. “Once they leave the rural areas for the City, their families cannot check up on them to ensure that they are in good health. Often families are lulled into a false sense of security… the pimp will go there and entice the family by making them feel confident. He will often present them with gifts, and if they are poor they will not say no and may even feel in debt to the pimp.”

He said the girl in this case was 16-years-old, but they saw girls aged 13 and 14 in the same position on the streets, with their parents having no idea where they were. Smith urged concerned members of the public to contact the Law Enforcement Services Directory if they suspect that there are similar cases in their area.

Source: http://www.vocfm.co.za/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=4849&Itemid=131

Peyrol
11-07-2013, 03:54 PM
I found this video disgusting, very distrubing...i wonder if the ANC will do something about this situation.
A question...under boer Apartheid government there still was this horrible situation? Or it's all a post '94 thing?

Loki
11-07-2013, 03:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xISFxedkhl8

Such a shame that Afrikaner women need to do that. Welcome to the new South Africa :picard1:

Peyrol
11-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Such a shame that Afrikaner women need to do that. Welcome to the new South Africa :picard1:

A deep changement from this...

http://youtu.be/qTMAv2WkmN0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1OremG15c

Loki
11-07-2013, 04:05 PM
I found this video disgusting, very distrubing...i wonder if the ANC will do something about this situation.
A question...under boer Apartheid government there still was this horrible situation? Or it's all a post '94 thing?

Life as a whole was much better in the Apartheid days, I think. Things like these were unheard of back then.

Baluarte
11-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Life as a whole was much better in the Apartheid days, I think. Things like these were unheard of back then.

Makes sense. Seems South Africa has entered a soft mode decay, a milder and slower version of the downfall of Rhodesia.

Peyrol
11-07-2013, 04:12 PM

The best solution in 1994 would have been the restoration of one of the boers republieks...maybe Transvaal or Orange for afrikaners and maybe coloured, and the rest to the bantoos.
I wonder why Mandela pushed for a ''united country''.

Kazimiera
11-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Does the ANC do ANYTHING except filling their pockets with taxpayers money? No.

The most positive work is being done by NGO's like Molo Songololo (http://www.molosongololo.com/). And even so, it is a difficult problem to tackle from a legal perspective because the police officials are often involved in it too, and are payed off by the pimps. With a bit of bribery, police dockets "disappear". What is being seen publicly is only a fraction of what is really going on. The numbers are also difficult to determine because some of the girls are Malawian, Zimbabwean and from Mozambique. Also, it is severely underreported. The most reliable stats are from the NGO's themselves.

Child prostitution has always existed, but post '94 a climate has developed where people are desperate for money, many more drugs available and therefore more addicts, and where immigrants (specifically from Nigeria) want to make a quick buck.

There have always been pedophile rings, both pre- and post-94. Except that organised pedo activity was smeared shut by the old government, as if it didn't exist.

But the street-walking girls is mainly a post-1994 phenomenon. If you look at the communities these girls come from, it is usually the poorest of the poor. The ANC government has done very little poverty alleviation, and even if it did WHERE DO YOU EVEN BEGIN to tackle this problem? There are so many social problems and they all go hand-in-hand. It is massive problem to tackle. The prostitution is a symptom of a very sick society.

Kazimiera
11-07-2013, 04:23 PM
The best solution in 1994 would have been the restoration of one of the boers republieks...maybe Transvaal or Orange for afrikaners and maybe coloured, and the rest to the bantoos.

I think you have a skewered view of the Boer Republics. The last ones ceased to exist on 31 May 1902. More than 110 years ago.

Prisoner Of Ice
11-07-2013, 04:26 PM

Because the black states would be stone aged. Now everything will be stoneaged but they can feed off what momentum there was before african rule.

Herbalist
11-07-2013, 04:37 PM

I doubt that. It was probably just more covered up. As you might not know, apartheid was modelled after Canada's Indian Act (which is still law here), and there is a lot of child trafficking in Canada of white and aboriginal children, but you never hear of it.

blogen
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
A deep changement from this...

These Boer girls do not derive from the Anglosaxon middle class. The majorty of the Boers were poor always and a part of the original Boers were nomads than the Gypsies the Balkan. The apartheid was their protectionism, the system spent huge monies for their welfare. But when it was over they were left to themselves and lot of Boers sank back into the misery.

Kazimiera
11-07-2013, 04:40 PM

It is a shame that ANY women need to do that regardless of colour.

Loki
11-07-2013, 04:42 PM
These Boer girls do not derive from the Anglosaxon middle class. The majorty of the Boers were poor always and a part of the original Boers were nomads than the Gypsies the Balkan. The apartheid was their protectionism, the system spent huge monies for their welfare. But when it was over they were left to themselves and lot of Boers sank back into the misery.

Wtf? You have no clue, don't make such idiotic statements. Boers built the most prosperous parts of South Africa with their expertise.

blogen
11-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Wtf? You have no clue, don't make such idiotic statements. Boers built the most prosperous parts of South Africa with their expertise.

The British colonists and not the Boer majority. Two white groups live in SA, an Anglo-Saxon origin English and a Dutch-Huguenots origin Boer and their story were totally different.

Kazimiera
11-07-2013, 04:49 PM

You're talking out of your ass, man!

rhiannon
11-07-2013, 04:49 PM
The British colonists and not the Boer majority. Two white groups live in SA, an Anglo-Saxon origin English and a Dutch-Huguenots origin Boer and their story were totally different.Dude, you must not know anything about Loki, lol

Loki
11-07-2013, 04:51 PM
The British colonists and not the Boer majority. Two white groups live in SA, an Anglo-Saxon origin English and a Dutch-Huguenots origin Boer and their story were totally different.

Of course. But it's nothing like you described. I myself am a 100% Boer from one of the oldest Boer families who settled in South Africa. I actually trace my line to the royal Egmond family - one of the principle noble families in the Netherlands during medieval times.

blogen
11-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Of course. But it's nothing like you described. I myself am a 100% Boer from one of the oldest Boer families who settled in South Africa. I actually trace my line to the royal Egmond family - one of the principle noble families in the Netherlands during medieval times.

Good for you, but you know the story of the Afrikaans poverty then. The Afrikaaner nationalism and the apartheid politics of the National Party was based on the poor Boer masses.

Manifest Destiny
11-07-2013, 05:04 PM

Because he was smart enough to see what goes on in other African countries?

Anyway; the Libertarian in me says that adult women have a right to sell their bodies if they wish. But these aren't adults, and the guys who are picking them up should be charged with statutory rape or even child molestation.

Peyrol
11-07-2013, 05:10 PM

That's false.
Transvaal and Oranje (and also Natalia and Stellaland for some degree) were prosperour states, that's why british imperialist such Livingstone and Rhodes promoted the ideology of annexation of these states to the British Empire, annexation that happened after the last Boer War.

blogen
11-07-2013, 05:30 PM
That's false.
Transvaal and Oranje (and also Natalia and Stellaland for some degree) were prosperour states, that's why british imperialist such Livingstone and Rhodes promoted the ideology of annexation of these states to the British Empire, annexation that happened after the last Boer War.

There was not a rich country, this was the country's problem. The Brits developed the mining, they had a capital to this. And the Brits waged war for the minerals and not for the poor Boers. Krueger wanted to develop his poor nation, but he made a mistake: onto the British's harm (http://motherearthtravel.com/history/south-africa/history-7.htm) (the profit of the mining companies). The war was the British an intervention for the interest of the mining industry. And the British expropriated technically the full mineral property. This expropriation was similar than later the expropriation of the African lands for the Boers in the Apartheid era, when the Boers learned from the mistake of the past. The consensus of the apartheid arranged the problems of the poor Boers onto the blacks' harm, this copied the British colonial system, where the Boers were the Blacks. The politics of the exploitation and oppression was multilayer: Brits/Boers/Blacks. And now the Blacks repeat this politics, this is their apartheid now.