PDA

View Full Version : "Ulten Berger"?

CordedWhelp
11-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Just found a document for an ancestor who's ID I knew of, with a listing of place of birth as "Ulten Berger". This individual's surname was Krumlinde (skipper family from the far north of Germany/Sleswig). "Ulten" is a province in the far north of Italy...but the surname is a very north German name, and subsequent records for places having lived prior in the "old world" to migration (there was a bit of back and forth between the u.s. and germany/denmark in this ancestor's case) show different places around a general area in northern germany/southern denmark (including Ribbe).

Any perspectives as to what Ulten Berger means?

CordedWhelp
11-10-2013, 08:23 PM
Bump

Prisoner Of Ice
11-10-2013, 08:25 PM
I'm sure it's related in origin to Berger name, not something exotic.

CordedWhelp
11-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I'm sure it's related in origin to Berger name, not something exotic.

I think what you are getting at is most likely the correct answer, but I tossed around the theory because the area is traditionally German-speaking (didn't get annexed by Italy until 1919)...and Berg=mountain. Ulten is situated in a rugged Alpine environment in the South Tyrol region.

Like a way of saying "hillbilly"...or mountain-folk.

I do not GUESS this is the case, but I have been doing a bit of genealogy into my mother's side, so I'm keeping a relatively open mind.

Prisoner Of Ice
11-10-2013, 08:39 PM
Berger or Bergman is very common name. Ulten is probably more germanic first name but fits in easily.

It could be something else but you don't look it.

Mikula
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Could it be "Alten Berger" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altenberg,_Saxony