PDA

View Full Version : What is the meaning of life?

Lutiferre
11-01-2009, 04:14 AM
What is the meaning of life?

Or what is your meaning of and with life?

In what do you find the greatest meaning in life?

Ulf
11-01-2009, 04:20 AM
To fuck and hate.

To drink and fight.

Have babies.

Repeat.

Loxias
11-01-2009, 04:22 AM
Probably not staying on the internet for way too much time, in this regard we all fail at life.

(I say that, until I get the motivation to write a real answer)

Eldritch
11-01-2009, 07:00 AM

One could argue that my life is meaningless, since the ultimate point of life is to procreate and to pass on your culture, values and traditions (and whatever wealth and property you may have) to your offspring, but I do not have children and never will.

Psychonaut
11-01-2009, 07:08 AM

Maximization of one's physical, mental and spiritual potential?

To be the best man, husband, father, psychonaut, etc. that I can be.

When I am doing those very things which I am meant to do.

Tabiti
11-01-2009, 07:59 AM
To find who you are, to explore all your potential and even beyond ones' talents

To approve myself. To learn how to feel the hidden secrets of the Universal wisdom. To be part of it.

Learning, thinking, speaking, creating.

Colonel Frank Grimes
11-01-2009, 11:42 AM
People create their own meaning to life. For some it's to do the work of God, for others its their career, etc. For myself its to express myself creatively. I love art in all its forms. It keeps me alive. Hence it gives my life meaning.

Eldritch
11-01-2009, 11:46 AM
People create their own meaning to life. For some it's to do the work of God, for others its their career, etc. For myself its to express myself creatively. I love art in all its forms. It keeps me alive. Hence it gives my life meaning.

Do you mean simply creating art, or also enjoying art created by others?

Black Turlogh
11-01-2009, 11:49 AM
One could argue that my life is meaningless, since the ultimate point of life is to procreate and to pass on your culture, values and traditions (and whatever wealth and property you may have) to your offspring, but I do not have children and never will.

I'm sure they could make that argument, but what a sad and cold way of viewing things, wouldn't you say? The idea that we're here to keep the lines going and little more seems so scientific that it's absurd to me.

But I agree with Frank. Life's what you make of it, as they say.

Colonel Frank Grimes
11-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Do you mean simply creating art, or also enjoying art created by others?

I enjoy both. Although I spend much more time enjoying other people's work. The creative process, as we all know, takes much energy. I'm usually tired at the end of my day to be able to put two brain cells to rub together, but eventually I'll get what I want done.

Liffrea
11-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lutiferre

Nobody can answer that for you, if you don’t know then nobody else does.

My meaning? I don’t think I have one, yet.

As an Odinist I believe in striving to be all that I can be physically, mentally and spiritually, to achieve. Is that the purpose or a means to an end? Good question, I’ll let you know if/when I have an answer. For the moment being alive is enough.

Life.

MeorgeGichaels
11-01-2009, 01:24 PM
The meaning depends on the person-you give yourself your own meaning

My meaning changes every day-from providing for certain people to enjoying it, yesterday my meaning was deceiving as many people as possible for a certain outcome-today my meaning is to regret yesterday's actions

Tomorrow my meaning might be to get as drunk as possible

Meaning changes.

Piparskeggr
11-01-2009, 01:36 PM
In answer, overall I do not know what, or if, there is a true meaning in life. Once it is over, I'll know for sure then.

Why I continue...because I think the journey from birth to death is worthwhile in and of itself. During the journey, I believe that something beyond me is watching and wants me to have a good effect in the words I speak and the actions I perform, leaving the world a little better for me having been in it.

Absinthe
11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
I think it was to spread the Gospel of God on teh internets. No? :wink

Loki
11-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Lutiferre
11-01-2009, 03:19 PM
I think it was to spread the Gospel of God on teh internets. No? :wink

I created this thread just to give people a chance to say what they find meaning in, not to press my meaning on them.

Isn't meaning a fundamental, human thing? I think we constantly do things based on what we find meaning in, even when that meaning is meaninglessness or the destruction of other peoples values.

So far, I tend to find Psychonauts answer most resonating with my own meaning:

I fully agree. Entelecheia or, becoming what you are.

Inese
11-01-2009, 04:22 PM
Finding a good job later and a man to life and marry. Giving birth to children and support my family and my relatives and do something for my country and when i die one day i want to say to myself " I had all i wanted and i was lucky at the end, i can close my eyes without anger or worry!!" :nod:

Loxias
11-01-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't know exactly, my personal take on it is affected by my life so far and my personality, I don't think it can be absolutised. Although I entertain the hope, that one day, some light will be shed, under my eyes, onto the true meaning of life.

One of my strongest drives in life is a "will to beauty". I am naturally driven to the contemplation of the beauty of things and thoughts, natural or manmade. My definition of beauty is inclusive and blurry, I would describe it as the characteristics of an object (material or immaterial) that transcends its simple existence to imprint itself in me and sublime my emotions.
This love of beauty has set in me an ideal of producing beauty (through art), and myself acting beautifully in life.
Of course, acting beautifully is an ideal that I am very far from achieving at the moment. It requires discipline and genius, which I both lack. Yet, to approach it, I will strive to push myself to my best potential, physically, mentally and hopefully, spiritually.
There is still a lot of work to do, and I am still sorting out the hows.

Art, learning about it, admiring it, and the satisfaction that I can have with my own attempts at producing art works.
Striving to attain states that transcend my ordinary consciousness is also an important aim.

In the end I realise I am just a selfish immature child at heart, easily finding things to be marvelous. A mere aesthetical man. I try to go beyond this state, but without much conviction. Maybe with time it shall come.

Lutiferre
11-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Creative expression and art is also very important for me. Art is the most potent culmination of meaning and will - if life could be anything, it should be a work of art, and one which itself creates art. But of course, that is something which it inevitably becomes, at least from a transcendent viewpoint, but living it out makes easily makes it feel like a failure that doesn't live up to the artists perfectionism. But failure is a reality that is part of any great work of art, as well.

Grumpy Cat
11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
U0kJHQpvgB8

Cato
11-01-2009, 09:31 PM
Sort answer: To die.
Longer answer: To live a worthwhile and honorable life between birth and death and to be true to yourself.

Ulf
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Seriously though, this is my opinion: Absurdism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdism).

"...in spite of or in defiance of the whole of existence he wills to be himself with it, to take it along, almost defying his torment. For to hope in the possibility of help, not to speak of help by virtue of the absurd, that for God all things are possible — no, that he will not do. And as for seeking help from any other — no, that he will not do for all the world; rather than seek help he would prefer to be himself — with all the tortures of hell, if so it must be."
—Søren Kierkegaard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%B8ren_Kierkegaard), The Sickness Unto Death (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sickness_Unto_Death)

Just existing is enough meaning for me. Spread my seed, have fun, be an idiot. I've got those down pat now. :thumbs up

Crimson Guard
11-01-2009, 10:59 PM

Answers:

1) It ends.

2) To live a good, productive and healthy life as much as humanly possible and take care of my family and friends.

3)To carry on cultural tradition of my ancestors. To one day get married to a lovely woman and raise a family of my own and live long enough to see my grand children come into this world and be happy.

Loddfafner
11-02-2009, 01:21 AM
Life is just a chemical reaction.
Conscious, human life gives meaning to the universe and to life itself.
If the physicists are right that all possible universes happen, then the one that led to the possibility of chemical reactions that enabled the universe to witness itself if the one that counts.

So - experiencing is what we are here for. Astronomers should be our priests because they are ones who experience the bulk of the universe.

Loxias
11-02-2009, 01:24 AM
Life is just a chemical reaction.
Conscious, human life gives meaning to the universe and to life itself.
If the physicists are right that all possible universes happen, then the one that led to the possibility of chemical reactions that enabled the universe to witness itself if the one that counts.

So - experiencing is what we are here for. Astronomers should be our priests because they are ones who experience the bulk of the universe.

Yes, although about hte astronomers, it's not because they see more of the universe that they experiece more of it, though, imo.

Barreldriver
11-02-2009, 01:26 AM
My meaning of life is to first and foremost protect the kingroup. Second to preserve my legacy. Third to pick the banjo, chaw, spit, and drink. :D

Majar
12-04-2009, 02:57 AM
To contribute, to the best of your ability, to the progress of the human species or leaving the world a little better than how you found it.

LoneWolf
12-04-2009, 03:26 AM
turk our jur

topsy213
11-21-2012, 04:53 AM
How could we offer a helpful respond to ‘what is the meaning of life’ without basically understanding how to explain our less-than-ideally-behaved, seemingly-imperfect human problem? I stumbled upon an article here that should supply really good solution to our egotistical and aggressive self. Read the following and share your thoughts

http://www.worldtransformation.com/what-is-the-meaning-of-life/

Anusiya
11-21-2012, 05:23 AM
A self conscious life, filled with little aims for every day that comes. Perhaps a bigger, long-term dream helped too.

Sol Invictus
11-21-2012, 05:31 AM

To be the best man, husband, father, psychonaut, etc. that I can be.

When I am doing those very things which I am meant to do.

This is why I miss you, Chris. You need to hastily return to join me in combat against these spiritual and existential nihilists that has overtaken TA.

HAIL VICTORY!

Drawing-slim
11-21-2012, 06:24 AM

Osprey
11-21-2012, 07:16 AM
to remain in a contended state of mind and doing something worth remembering.
And finding a material passage to the divine ie under standing nature...

Svipdag
12-16-2012, 01:33 AM
To me, the meaning of life has always been the acquisition of knowledge for its own sake. As a boy, I wanted to emulate Sir Francis Bacon and "..take all knowledge to be my province." I gradually came to realise the impossibility of attaining this goal, but the pursuit itself proved to be enough for me.

Insatiable curiosity has sustained me long after the enjoyment of other pleasures has been much impaired by the infirmities of age. I don't fully understand WHY I feel a need to know, but it is a fundamental part of my nature.

I am convinced that eventually, physical immortality will become available. It will have to be restricted to those who could endure it. Those who are easily bored and have no way to occupy their minds throughout eternity would find immortality a curse, an interminable torment. Forever would not be enough to satisfy my thirst for knowledge . Alas, I was born too early.

Immortality will not be achieved in my lifetime, and, if it were, I am in such deplorable physical condition that I would hardly be able to take advantage of it. Of what use my knowledge will be to me or anyone else after my death, I have no idea, but I am driven to seek it.

"TRAHIT SVA QVEMQVE VOLVPTAS" - PVBLIVS VERGILIVS MARO

arcticwolf
12-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Life has no meaning at all. There is no God, there is no purpose. It's a grinder, that chews one up and spits one out. It's a juggernaut that destroys everything in it's path. In other words it's an effect of stupidity so profound that just few even know it exists.

That's not what you want to believe? Tough nookie, it's still the Truth! :laugh:

Jackson
12-16-2012, 01:50 AM

Without a shadow of a doubt.

Now we just need to find the question!

Don Arb
12-16-2012, 01:50 AM
The meaning of life is to give life meaning

Svante
12-16-2012, 02:13 AM
to remain in a contended state of mind and doing something worth remembering.
And finding a material passage to the divine ie under standing nature...

i think meaning of life is to survive and to be with your family. i will like to be in contended state of mind but there are to many enemys.

larali
12-16-2012, 02:22 AM
i think meaning of life is to survive and to be with your family. i will like to be in contended state of mind but there are to many enemys.

Something like this, I guess.

I really want to do something more, to compensate for the evil in the world, but I'm at a place where I can't do much else... and it's frustrating.

larali
12-16-2012, 02:22 AM
The meaning of life is to give life meaning

Wow I like that!

Kukulkan
01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
I don't believe in an objective meaning. you make up your own
( yeah it sounds really fucking cliché nowadays, but nonetheless it's how I view it)

To enjoy your time would be the best meaning that I think everyone would fall under.
What means you use to get to that is just different.

Neon Knight
01-13-2013, 11:31 PM
It is life which gives meaning to everything else. If there was no one to experience the universe then it might as well not exist. Therefore, life gives meaning to itself - we give meaning to each other.

Bobby Six Killer
01-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Find the meaning.

Forget about the idea we are hold to destiny, and we are the arquitects of our history.

The truth, about everything in the physical and the world we don't see. If there's one actually.

Baldur
01-18-2013, 09:21 PM
There isn't any, life is hell.

Gereis
01-20-2013, 04:35 PM
meaning of life is having children

Gereis
01-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Also take care of eachother

02-05-2013, 12:19 PM
There's no "meaning" to life other than to carry it on and procreate. Life begets life, it's a simple and as circular as that. As others have said, you can try to give it some meaning while you're alive, but ultimately, there's no other objective meaning.

Mistel
02-05-2013, 03:52 PM
Procreate, find your purpose in life and try and leave the world a little better off than when you entered it. Life has a lot of meaning if you believe in God. Maybe less for atheists :confused:

Austo
02-05-2013, 03:57 PM
The meaning of life has always been to make sure that ones own species survives.

But now that we sadly are not threatened by anything but ourselves, the meaning of life is actually gone.

So meaning of life is/was to survive!!

Cern
02-05-2013, 04:03 PM
It is life which gives meaning to everything else. If there was no one to experience the universe then it might as well not exist. Therefore, life gives meaning to itself - we give meaning to each other.

I agree.

LouisFerdinand
07-20-2017, 12:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebt0X5ybm9Y

Magnolia
07-20-2017, 12:19 AM
To create...

NordicMan
07-20-2017, 12:24 AM
To make 10 White babies.

Iloko
07-20-2017, 12:39 AM
To be who you see yourself to be.

Drawing-slim
07-20-2017, 10:42 AM
The only true meaning of life is discovering that is a big fucking joke. A twisted joke filled with irony every step of the way.
Procreation is for losers. I dont give a fuck if my child could be the next mozart, da vinci or goethe, striving just to procreate would make me a colosal pathetic loser. And that i am not.

Mädel Edelweiß
08-22-2017, 11:13 PM
There's no inherent meaning for existence. And there doesn't have to be. Nature does not exist to prove a point, it exists to exist and to be. In a way, it is strange and absurd that anything exists at all, but this is tempting isn't it? To understand. This is why you ask this question, because as a human we want to understand. But I don't think asking what the meaning of life is is the right question.

Humans have evolved a higher cognitive ability to question and understand things, still this is all from the human perspective. I think, personally, one should seek to better understand the nature of humanity, the world, and the universe as a whole. Your personal existence is your business, so long as it isn't impeding on others. In this sense, if someone wants to collect their boogers under a computer desk.. more power to them, but if their hobby is going out raping and murdering people, there will be a problem because it is impeding on others' existence.

Root
08-22-2017, 11:15 PM
the same question I'd ask but vice versa, what is the meaning of birth/death?

Batavia
08-28-2023, 06:10 PM
For me, the meaning of life is to do my best (and if it's just a little) to secure a long time future for our mankind and enjoy this struggle as much as I can.
I want to make the best of it and prevent the world from perishing.

That sounds pretentious, but you can also achieve a lot on a small scale.

There are also philosophical gimmicks that can help give meaning to life, for example, the eternal return or the common theory of an afterlife in heaven (which I don't believe in).

And of course it´s important to enjoy life, to be creative and so on...

Cybele
08-28-2023, 07:15 PM
"The meaning of life is just to be alive. It is so plain and so obvious and so simple. And yet, everybody rushes around in a great panic as if it were necessary to achieve something beyond themselves" Alan Wilson Watts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDqqB8kh_Ek

I believe at individual level, each creates their own “meaning” or “mission”, something that makes sense for them, to fill the void of their existential dread.

Cybele
08-28-2023, 07:19 PM
I want to make the best of it and prevent the world from perishing.
That sounds pretentious, but you can also achieve a lot on a small scale.
Can you elaborate, if you don’t mind?

Loki
08-28-2023, 07:54 PM
The meaning of life? I'll ask God one day when I see him :)

Our purpose on earth? To learn -- to acquire wisdom about life, to learn to have compassion and empathy with others, to love other people and share it with others, to share God with others who don't know him, to mature in character in preparation for eternity with God and his family.

Victor
08-28-2023, 07:58 PM
Become a Saint or die trying.

KirillMazur
08-28-2023, 08:42 PM
Become a Saint or die trying.
Who is a saint and who is a sinner is directly dependent on the current government and socio-economic system.
Alas.
The system has changed, and now you aren't a Saint, but опущенный.:)

Peceneg
08-28-2023, 08:57 PM
When you want to find out about the meaning of life:

1. You need to take a break from the phone and from other people's opinions about the meaning of life

2. Meditate. No one tells you to take refuge in the mountains or in the temple. You only need to close your eyes for 10 or 60 minutes and meditate.

3. The answer is inside, not outside.

ugochaves
08-28-2023, 09:07 PM
The meaning of life? I'll ask God one day when I see him :)

Our purpose on earth? To learn -- to acquire wisdom about life, to learn to have compassion and empathy with others, to love other people and share it with others, to share God with others who don't know him, to mature in character in preparation for eternity with God and his family.
We are ape-men and will never become saints. Every second we love someone very much and hate someone very much. If there is a god, he sees our souls. In Orthodoxy, no one can go to heaven, even you, Loki, will go to hell. Because you don't confess to Orthodox priests. I never confessed. I was baptized into Orthodoxy at the age of 12. My godmother is Ukrainian. I'm sinning every second. But I still believe in Jesus. I do not know how to escape. I am a sinful crusader. All the crusaders are in hell today. I am a vulgar, aggressive primitive hominid. I have something good that cannot be applied in this life, otherwise people will erase and destroy me. So how can an Orthodox person get to heaven? We don't have a purgatory where relatives will pay money. We're either saints or we're going to hell.

ugochaves
08-28-2023, 09:13 PM
I want to confess, but I won't be able to admit that Spaniards are equal to Aryans. Because they humiliate us. We must resist, otherwise we will not be there. The Christian faith says - stop resisting, turn your cheek to the Spaniards...they will gladly hit my cheek and the cheek of my Aryan daughter. They will humiliate my mother and daughter. They will pay off with money in Catholicism. So they can do it knowing that they can pay.

Victor
08-30-2023, 01:16 PM
Who is a saint and who is a sinner is directly dependent on the current government and socio-economic system.
Alas.
The system has changed, and now you aren't a Saint, but опущенный.:)

Bs. See the guys getting beheaded for not abandoning their faith somewhere in the Middle East or earlier in Chechnya. They're closer to God now than anyone who lived a life of a saint and died by natural death, not everyone will be granted such death. A person who took me to concious faith is father Daniel Sysoev, a martyr shot by a Muslim in his parish, next to altar in a church in the south of Moscow, for converting Muslims to Orthodoxy and active sermon between them.

Bodhisattva369
11-13-2023, 10:27 PM
LOVE! It's ALL about LOVE!!

Tradra
11-13-2023, 10:33 PM
To suffer.