PDA

View Full Version : Self-Defense Laws In Norway

Arrow Cross
11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Greets.

To all our Norwegian posters and anyone else familiar with their relevant laws; opening this thread in the hope that you're aware of the country's current policies regarding the ownership and usage of various self-defense sprays. I have a female friend up there who's certainly worried about the increasingly multicultural urban circumstances in which she has to navigate day to day.

There are multiple articles on the Net suggesting there is a form of legal self-defense beyond the police-only pepper spray, one that uses a different substance.
See here, for instance: http://www.code3tactical.com/pepper-spray-oc-spray.aspx

True or false? If true, where can one aquire such items?

Arrow Cross
11-01-2009, 01:10 PM
Shameless bump, due to the thread sinking way too fast in such a forum activity. :p

lei.talk
11-03-2009, 04:25 PM
...opening this thread in the hope that you're aware of the country's current policies regarding the ownership and usage of various self-defense sprays...

There are multiple articles on the Net suggesting there is a form of legal self-defense beyond the police-only pepper spray, one that uses a different substance...

True or false?
If true, where can one aquire such items?norwegian contributions to this thread
will be educational

and appreciated.

SwordoftheVistula
11-03-2009, 10:15 PM
norwegian contributions to this thread
will be educational

and appreciated.

No such luck...they all had their laptops stolen by muggers :D

Arrow Cross
11-03-2009, 10:28 PM
No such luck...they all had their laptops stolen by muggers :D
E chuta! :mad:

Lars
11-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I don't know the laws of Norway but they are often the same as the rest of Scandinavia and even the Nordic Countries.

In my country it's illegal for private citizens to buy pepper spray but in recent years it has become standard equipment for police officers. It bet the same applies for Norway.

HawkR
11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
You can't own a pepperspray here in Norway, except if you've been threatend, and can prove it. That's last I heard at least.

Lutiferre
11-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I don't know the laws of Norway but they are often the same as the rest of Scandinavia and even the Nordic Countries.

In my country it's illegal for private citizens to buy pepper spray but in recent years it has become standard equipment for police officers. It bet the same applies for Norway.

I have a CS gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CS_gas) spray. Not sure if it's legal though.

lei.talk
11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
the best one i have used!

https://youtu.be/-n_jRjCTjeY
available from this catalogue (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?p=122544#post122544)

Arrow Cross
11-14-2009, 01:09 PM
I am fully aware that it's illegal, but my question was pertaining to an alternative, of which news flow around the Internet like a dead illegal immigrant in the Mediterranean.

Oh well.

Woodly
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
The closest thing we can call a self-defense weapon, is a so called "Panic-buzzer".
It's a little device that makes a horrible sound to alert people around and to scare the thief/rapist etc.

LoneWolf
01-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Please excuse my ignorance and post to a question not directed at me. But can you really not carry a knife or buy pepper spray to defend yourself? I am a Pennsylvanian and this idea is sort of startling to me.
Thanks,
Lonewolf

Woodly
01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Well, if you are in some kind of work were a knife is useful, you can carry it to and home from work.

But if I walk around in Norway with a 10cm knife, then the police can come and arrest me. It is plain stupid, but the rule is there because gangs, crazy people and others can not go around with knifes an cut people.

I am going to take a look at the rules of self-defense here in Norway. There could be a hidden rule or a way around it.
(Many of the laws here in Norway goes against each other. :P )

HawkR
01-05-2010, 11:38 AM
It's in Norway as most other places, you cannot carry a gun/knife etc. because the law says so. This law is here so that the criminals can't carry it either, but they are criminals! Of course they carry. I can accept the law if it went more like: You are not allowed to carry any kind of weapon when under a toxicated state or something like that.

Arrow Cross
01-08-2010, 01:13 AM
The closest thing we can call a self-defense weapon, is a so called "Panic-buzzer".
It's a little device that makes a horrible sound to alert people around and to scare the thief/rapist etc.
Yes, thank you, the person mentioned in the OP already obtained one, though I'm highly skeptical what good it'll do to her.

Pallantides
01-08-2010, 07:29 AM
I believe you're allowed to carry a knife if your going to use it for something work related.

SuuT
01-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Pepper sprays are illegal in Norway but easily obtained: The pro-shop here (http://www.golfsenteretmyrens.no/main/index.php?frontpage=true) actually sells them from behind the counter :D as do many sporting goods type stores in urban areas.

P.s. A knee to the groin is legal and a lot cheaper.

Woodly
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
P.s. A knee to the groin is legal and a lot cheaper.

Hehe, thats true. But many criminals use knifes, baths, guns and more. Specially in the resent years.

And with sexual assault it's not always to fight back.