PDA

View Full Version : British holidaymaker discovers lost underwater 'city'

Liffrea
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
A British holidaymaker has uncovered what is believed to be a lost, ancient temple while snorkelling in the Mediterranean.

Michael Le Quesne, 16, was swimming off a popular beach in Montenegro with his parents and his ten-year-old sister Teodora when he spotted an odd looking 'stone' at a depth of around two metres.

It turned out to be a large, submerged building which may have been the centrepiece of an important Greek or Roman trading post, swallowed up by the sea during a massive earthquake.

A British team of experts led by Dr Lucy Blue, presenter of BBC Two show Oceans, is to investigate the significant find in this largely unexplored corner of south east Europe.

Dr Blue said that if the discovery is confirmed to be an underwater temple it would “put Montenegro on the map”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/montenegro/6451859/British-holidaymaker-discovers-lost-underwater-city.html

Osweo
11-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Takes an Englishman, doesn't it? :wink:

In Norway I was amused at the name of a mountain 'Spilsby peak' or whatever, and commented that it was like a name you'd expect to see in Lincolnshire. "Ah but it's named after an English mountaineer, the 'Father of Norwegian Alpinism'..." :D

{We'll pass over le Quesne's Frenchy name... }

anonymaus
11-02-2009, 03:41 PM
My first thought was "Lyonesse!?"

My second thought was "That's retarded. Let's keep that stupidity secret."

Oh for two.

Lahtari
11-02-2009, 04:22 PM
How long will it take for people starting to shout "Atlantis"? Any bets? :D

Osweo
11-02-2009, 04:25 PM
My second thought was "That's retarded. Let's keep that stupidity secret."

Heh, it's a newish discipline. And the Lost Plains of Gwyddno, City of Mausna, and Portus Setantiorum all still lie undisturbed under the silt of ages off the Lancastrian coast, so we can't mock the Chernogortsy too much for having been sat on this for years without realising! Well done on this bit of luck, Црна Гора! :)

I just loved the sense of archaeological enthusiasm emanating from this latter day Indiana Jones, though:
“I’ve been dragged around a lot of ancient ruins, so if it hadn’t been for that I wouldn’t have looked twice.” :D