PDA

View Full Version : What is your Ethical Ideal?

Krystal Meth
11-22-2013, 10:12 PM
My ethical ideal stems from an objective structural context of genetic self-interest. Whatever increases the biological fitness of my group is good, and whatever decreases it is bad. Man's purpose, viewed in the framework of my version of evolutionary ethics, may be defined as the effective replication of "selfish genes". By group, I understand breeding population. By purpose, I mean anything that serves a purpose, for example the human eyes are tremendously purposive, but I do not mean to imply that they have a literal designer.

The "self" is a vehicle created by genes with the purpose of replicating more genes. The individual does not exist in meaningful terms; a person can only be defined in relation to external objects, not in isolation. The human body requires air & nutrients and so on to survive and therefore the definition of the individual must include its environment and external relationships. In further examples, what defines a chair is its relationship to external objects in that we use it to sit on, a cup is defined by its purpose as a vessel we use to drink from. Therefore, in isolation, a chair, cup, or person does not have a reality.

I am not committing the naturalistic fallacy from deriving value from fact because I solve the is-ought problem by clarifying that "ought" means an action which is necessitated by reasons stemming from a structured context. For example, "it is lightning, therefore it ought to thunder". Now, some "oughts" are hypothetical since they follow from other "oughts" that no-one is compelled to accept. However, there are some structured contexts that nobody can avoid such as evolutionary theory. Man cannot escape evolution, therefore is logically compelled to act in a manner that is conducive to group survival because of evolutionary strategies such as kin selection which favours the reproductive success of the group. Even if people don't or refuse to act for the good of the group, they cannot escape this reality.

Breedingvariety
11-23-2013, 05:51 AM
However, there are some structured contexts that nobody can avoid such as evolutionary theory. Man cannot escape evolution, therefore is logically compelled to act in a manner that is conducive to group survival because of evolutionary strategies such as kin selection which favours the reproductive success of the group. Even if people don't or refuse to act for the good of the group, they cannot escape this reality.
1. According to you, any action is conducive to survival of a group. That means ethically individual can do anything and therefore there is no ethics which would determine if an action is ethical.
2. You don't specify for what groups survival individual is acting. It could be specie, race, ethnicity, religious group. Different actions for interests of different groups, would still be ethical, according to you.

Breedingvariety
11-23-2013, 07:55 AM
I don't have an ethical ideal. I have spectrum of morality from most moral to most immoral:
- Negation of the world
- Compassion
- Courtesy
- Rudeness
- Cruelty

Konstantinovich
11-26-2013, 02:40 AM
My ethical opinions are that "Life-Fulfillment" or "flourishing" are the greatest goods. Exactly what the value of life-fulfillment is varies between people, but the everyone's personal flourishing will have some things in common. Like being moral rather than immoral leads to a greater life-fulfillment. The value of the thing itself is a little hard to explain. I think the state of having not regretted one's life, having meaning connected with it, would be important. Life-fulfillment takes into account animals as well, as we can see that animals enjoy their lives in a way similar to but different to us. Their's is a fulfillment of pleasure, while humans have an existential (meaning/purpose-oriented) component. As for what moral laws are preeminent, I think that the categorical imperative is most basic and important.

Feral
11-26-2013, 02:52 AM
A combination of chaotic good and lawful good. :lol:

http://easydamus.com/chaoticgood.html
http://easydamus.com/lawfulgood.html

</nerd>

YeshAtid
12-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I'm somewhat veered towards Kant's notion that all people are inherently rational, and that when certain circumstances require it most will exercise their cognitive reasoning in order to find a solution. Therefore, I don't feel that imposing any kind of moral imperative upon the masses will be beneficial in creating a more "ethical" society, in fact one could even go so far as to argue that by doing so man's rebellious nature is engendered, leading to an increase in "immoral" behavior. This is often coupled with Jeremy Bentham's brainchild(pardon the cliche) of Utilitarianism, wherein man as a collective should seek to maximise the pleasure felt by people whilst minimising any form of pain.This is indeed based on the presumption that humans are rational enough to deem this to be a desired societal outcome, and so will take great pains and compromises to fully attain this aim. If these two rather abstract ideas were conjoined, then society would be a far more conducive and happy society, but alas this seems to be quite a "tall order", hence I'll remain thoroughly misanthropic:(

maxpayne3
12-07-2013, 10:52 PM
utilitarian consequentialist policies within a consistent deontological framework (e.g. a constitution)

character/virtue issues should be practical and would be dealt with at the local level ofc

arcticwolf
02-11-2014, 05:45 PM
These precepts which are universal

Not causing harm to any being
Not taking of what is not given
Not distorting reality/lying
No sexual misconduct ( sexy romantic, caring is ok, no weird shit though
No clouding of the mind (drugs, alcohol, fanatical thinking etc

There is no way anyone can go wrong following these 5 precepts, they are the base of ethics. The more you get away frrom following these 5 precepts the less ethical you will be, no matter how much you disagree.

The short version is: Do no harm, Do good, Train your mind.

Breedingvariety
05-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Those who harm, suffer more than the harmed. I believe in karma.

Greed and vanity cloud the riches of the spirit.

Liars have the most time to tell lies to themselves and therefore they are the most deceived.

Sex clouds the mind. It is the opposite of intelligence.

Those who seek the most pleasure with drugs and alcohol, will experience the most suffering. As pleasure is not the nature of this world.
Tortured souls seeking redemption in material find physical torture instead.

There is no way anyone can go wrong following these 5 precepts
I agree.

Mortimer
05-17-2014, 08:18 AM
1. According to you, any action is conducive to survival of a group. That means ethically individual can do anything and therefore there is no ethics which would determine if an action is ethical.
2. You don't specify for what groups survival individual is acting. It could be specie, race, ethnicity, religious group. Different actions for interests of different groups, would still be ethical, according to you.

yeah just wanted to say the same, he could view humans as a group or whites or french etc. i know he means whites though most people do when they talk about breeding populations and genes

i think im a anthropocentrist and humanist, i follow also the golden rule, and im also enviromentalist and animal lover

Mortimer
05-17-2014, 08:19 AM

There is no way anyone can go wrong following these 5 precepts, they are the base of ethics. The more you get away frrom following these 5 precepts the less ethical you will be, no matter how much you disagree.

i agree my slavic brother

arcticwolf
05-17-2014, 10:26 PM
Those who harm, suffer more than the harmed. I believe in karma.

Greed and vanity cloud the riches of the spirit.

Liars have the most time to tell lies to themselves and therefore they are the most deceived.

Sex clouds the mind. It is the opposite of intelligence.

Those who seek the most pleasure with drugs and alcohol, will experience the most suffering. As pleasure is not the nature of this world.
Tortured souls seeking redemption in material find physical torture instead.

I agree.

Agreed brother Balt.

Wish I was a wordsmith you are. Well put!

de Burgh II
05-20-2014, 05:08 AM
I would have to say my ideal is egoist/individually driven for the most part. I would have to say because I've never had a natural talent/something that was inherent in some people that are gifted with such traits that comes naturally to them. I guess this kind of explains my "Napoleon complex" (minus the short stature) because all my life it seemed that in the beginning I was put down since people would gloat about in my face sometimes which kind of shaped my outlook. Some of these particular people would be so self absorbed and so lazy that it boggled my mind how this was even logical! Even in the somewhat "rock bottoms" that had some consistencies throughout my life; I refused to concede! It only reinforced my determination to prove them wrong by remaining resolute until the day I die! Surely enough it paid off. Sure I guess they surpassed me with their natural talents which I'll admit in its own right. I've had something they didn't; conviction! Regardless whatever the obstacles were I would accept it for what it was and take it head on! Over that time it only strengthened my conviction into an "indomitable" will and never concede to defeat! If anyone wanted to take my success away from me; they would have to take it away from cold, dead body!

That is why I say don't let anyone take away your own gift; your individualism and your determination! Strengthen one's mind and will for all to aspire! Let your indomitable will express to enemies that you stand proud and you will dish out whatever they throw at you that some weak minded fools couldn't never do! Let your will be the embodiment of your strength and drive! Prove to the world that you are worthy of own well deserved success! If anyone tries to take away your well deserved success; let them know you won't go down without a fight with you being the victor! You don't have to feel sympathy for parasites. They're the lowest form of life; weak willed... pathetic... irrational monstrosities that want to take away you well deserved success that you shed blood on day and night unjustifiably! That is why... think as an individual and stay strong until the end! No matter what... crave and scalp your future of your own design! Crush anyone that comes in your way that has the audacity or the NERVE to take away a honest, hardworking individual's success such as yourselves away from you! Let your will aspire for those to come that even in your darkest days... we all have our hidden potential within that is waiting to be unleashed for all to aspire! Contribute positively to your own society and don't let any parasites take away that everyone contributed equally to shape!

KeinMitleid
05-29-2014, 10:30 PM

This is a rather close minded view. What exactly do you mean 'do no harm'? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you believe that there is such as thing as universal ethics.

KeinMitleid
05-29-2014, 10:34 PM
My personal ethics are based on ancient Pagan values. I believe in destroying any and all enemies/threats, fighting to preserve the kin/folk, and terminating weakness within yourself. Strength, loyalty, Will power, Discipline, Honor, Ruthlessness.

Breedingvariety
05-29-2014, 10:44 PM
This is a rather close minded view. What exactly do you mean 'do no harm'? And correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you believe that there is such as thing as universal ethics.
Universal morality.

My personal ethics are based on ancient Pagan values. I believe in destroying any and all enemies/threats, fighting to preserve the kin/folk, and terminating weakness within yourself. Strength, loyalty, Will power, Discipline, Honor, Ruthlessness.
And universal immorality.

Vorpal
05-29-2014, 10:46 PM
white Lil B mixed with pope John Paul the 2nd

KeinMitleid
06-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Please do explain how 'universal morality' exists. And are you calling my morals immoral? Why?

Breedingvariety
06-05-2014, 07:57 AM
I believe in destroying any and all enemies/threats
Before destroying enemies, one needs to know the ideal he seeks to realise and present condition. Otherwise he might destroy friends. Though getting to know present condition can change one's ideal.

fighting to preserve the kin/folk
That assumes kin/folk can't be in the wrong.

and terminating weakness within yourself. Strength
First one needs to know what strenght and weakness is. Otherwise one may terminate stregth.

loyalty
Without an oath there is no loyalty, there is just a feeling of affinity. On the other hand oath assumes infallibility.

Will power
Will power is blind.

Discipline
Discipline is good, as long as one isn't too dogmatic about it.

Honor
Honor is good if it means not lying and not stealing. Honor is bad if it means vanity.

Ruthlessness
Ruthless means without mercy. Blunting of all empathy.

Please do explain how 'universal morality' exists.
Time and space create matter. Patterns of material change within time and space mean causality. We as subjects experience objects as particulars existing in space and time. This material world of particulars is an illusion (veil of Maya) and it is beyond good and evil.

Spiritual world is beyond time and space. Its realm is universal morality with good and evil.

Delusion (Maya) is believing the material world is reality. This delusion leads to spiritual evil. Illusion itself isn't evil- it's just a phantasmagoria. However the belief in the phantasmagoria, which is beyond morality, leads to evil actions due to spirit being confused and lost in the world of particulars and myriad of possibilities.

Truth is one universal morality of good and evil. All material truths are particulars and they are illusions and delusions.

"Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it." Christ

Breedingvariety
06-11-2014, 02:46 PM
Comparison of good and evil:

Compassion- cruelty; freedom- possession; blessing- trauma; selflessness- multiple personalities; humility- vanity; intelligence- stupidity; truth- lies; purity- filth.

Wolf Howl
06-13-2014, 03:33 AM
I believe in living life to the fullest and striving everyday to improve myself. I believe in discipline and self-reliance. I treat everyone with a basic modicum of respect when I first met them and then treat them with the level of respect they've earned from me from thereon. Everyday I do something that challenges me and pushes my spiritual, physical, mental, or emotional boundaries.

I shun cowardice and embrace strength. I don't believe in a "right" or "wrong" per se but I do believe actions are either honorable or dishonorable.

I also think hate is natural and a necessary feeling and emotion. Today everything is about love, we are told to love everyone and everything. However a love that is not contrasted by anything is worthless. Without knowing what we hate we can never truly understand what we love. This hippy dippy universalist "we are the world" kind of love is impotent, barren, and passionless. A man who can't be bothered to hate is incapable of truly loving anything.

I believe in duty to your nation, to your people, and to your family. President John F. Kennedy admonished us to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I live by that mindset. I ask little to nothing of my folk or my nation. In this atmosphere where everyone must be coddled, everyone must get a trophy, and every is a special snowflake there can be no growth. We can only grow as people when we struggle, when we have to fight. We live in selfish and decadent times where people want the world handed to them and believe the word "sacrifice" is a dirty word.

People talk a lot about "freedom" but what most people seem to consider "freedom" is really nihilistic hedonism. True freedom comes from self-discipline and self mastery. People who live a hedonistic lifestyle are slaves to their whims and are not free at all.

KeinMitleid
06-13-2014, 10:31 PM
Good and Evil are two ends of the Wolfsangle, so to speak. They are part of each other and exist not as separate concepts. To answer the critique of my morality, I have an ideal and standards and therefore know what opposes it and naturally I assess all threats however when it is a physical one in which my life is threatened it goes without saying there isn't time to assess much. And I said fighting to PRESERVE the kin/folk. What I mean therein is preservation in a biological sense. Whatever threatens the very existence of the kin/folk must be eliminated as is the natural order of things. It is the struggle that is essential to nature. And again, you assume that no thought goes into assessing what strength and weakness is. There is a great amount of existential thought involved here, this is not dogmatic in the slightest. Will power is the life essence, so to speak. It is the difference between the superior and the inferior men, between the weak and the strong. Will power and spirit are essential to progress and greatness, as life is a battle of wills-to-power. Discipline and will power go hand in hand. Honor is a difficult to define term, but truth is certainly is a major aspect of it. Mercilessness in the face of your enemies is natural and a strength. Why allow the threat to remain in existence? Why allow whatever enemies may be a chance to attack you again? Destroy them. Empathy is a weakness. And if you're going to quote that possibly non-existent, meek, schizophrenic Jew then I'm afraid nothing I will say will really get through.

KeinMitleid
06-13-2014, 10:32 PM
I 100% agree with you're idea on freedom. Freedom is an abstraction of strength. Free will is an illusion, for there are only strong and weak wills.

Äijä
06-13-2014, 10:39 PM
I believe in living life to the fullest and striving everyday to improve myself. I believe in discipline and self-reliance. I treat everyone with a basic modicum of respect when I first met them and then treat them with the level of respect they've earned from me from thereon. Everyday I do something that challenges me and pushes my spiritual, physical, mental, or emotional boundaries.

I shun cowardice and embrace strength. I don't believe in a "right" or "wrong" per se but I do believe actions are either honorable or dishonorable.

I also think hate is natural and a necessary feeling and emotion. Today everything is about love, we are told to love everyone and everything. However a love that is not contrasted by anything is worthless. Without knowing what we hate we can never truly understand what we love. This hippy dippy universalist "we are the world" kind of love is impotent, barren, and passionless. A man who can't be bothered to hate is incapable of truly loving anything.

I believe in duty to your nation, to your people, and to your family. President John F. Kennedy admonished us to "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." I live by that mindset. I ask little to nothing of my folk or my nation. In this atmosphere where everyone must be coddled, everyone must get a trophy, and every is a special snowflake there can be no growth. We can only grow as people when we struggle, when we have to fight. We live in selfish and decadent times where people want the world handed to them and believe the word "sacrifice" is a dirty word.

People talk a lot about "freedom" but what most people seem to consider "freedom" is really nihilistic hedonism. True freedom comes from self-discipline and self mastery. People who live a hedonistic lifestyle are slaves to their whims and are not free at all.

I hope you get many followers and become a leader.