PDA

View Full Version : The Story of the Middle Ages by Samuel B. Harding [Audiobook]

Wildland
01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Intended for a youthful audience, The Story of the Middle Ages, published in 1906, tells the history of the Middle Ages in simple and entertaining fashion, and helps to explain the influence of the Middle Ages on modern times. Topics covered include the rise of the Christian church, Feudalism, Charlemagne, the Crusades, the Hundred Years’ War, and the daily life of peasant, noble, and clergy.

[Public Domain free audiobook] (http://librivox.org/the-story-of-the-middle-ages-by-samuel-b-harding/)

TheGreatest
01-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I'll listen to it shortly.

Though I have the feeling that it might be a Huxley/Orwellian style critique of the past. I'm not surprised since that's rather common about the Medieval Period.
Quite similar to the latest junk being pressed onto kids these days. About the Old USA being ''Racist White man's institution" were all Blacks got lynched, everyone was blue eyed (the horror...) and all that jazz. Though don't mention to the Kids that there wasn't a huge controlling/interfering bureaucracy, and don't dare to mention the non-existent crime, the ability to order guns and cocaine in the mail, no income taxes and a factory's salary being enough to purchase a home and start a family..

I mean the present is so perfect... People back then were savaged and racist!
Now excuse me while I continue to pay the apartment's rent, commute for 5 hours, put up with racial abuse err harmony from the ''new Americans",file the income taxes (so the Government can "protect" me :rolleyes: ) and feel safe about there being no evil guns...

:D

Wildland
01-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Actually it's about how we all dwelled from the same start point, later to spread around Europe, with distinct characters as Germanic, Slavs, Britons and Celt.
How we struggled and fighted, tribe against tribe to later unite in common against the Hunns.

The first parts are great, looking forward listening to the later parts.