PDA

View Full Version : Similarity with parents

Tabiti
11-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Few questions:
Which parent do you look more like?
Is there any scientific genetic explanation to the claim that girls looked more like their fathers and boys like their mothers? Is that true in fact?
What about grandparents similarity?
Are there different mechanisms for inheritance of the different physical traits - hair color, eye color, nose shape, body shape?

Absinthe
11-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I take mostly after my father, and my grandfather. People say I am a carbon copy of them. :o

Tabiti
11-03-2009, 12:43 PM
I've inherited features from both parents. I look like myself mostly, however you'd easily recognize me as my father's or mother's daughter.

Stefan
11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
I've been told I looked like both parents at different stages of development. When I was around 12/13 years old I was told almost 5 times a month that I looked like my mother. Now I'm starting to look like my father more. In reality, I think I look more like my Paternal Grandfather and my Maternal Grandmother's Grandfather. Here is a picture of both of my parents.

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3120&d=1257254265

Here is a picture of me.
http://www.theapricity.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3043&d=1256342616

Edit: I forgot to answer the other questions. I don't think anything is set in stone from one sex, or even on generation of ancestors, but there is a more likeliness that you will get some traits from certain people. I think Pigmentation is an example of something that travels from Father to Son and Mother to Daughter, for example. I don't have any knowledge to back it up, but that is just an observation I've made.

Allenson
11-03-2009, 01:03 PM
An interesting question and one that I'm not sure the answer of.

One anecdote that I can add though is that for most of my life, I would say that I've resembled my mother more than my father...but, the older that I've become, I seem to be changing a bit and looking more and more like the old man...

Loxias
11-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Just as Tabiti, it is visible that I look like both my parents.
My mother is very gracile, and has a profile identical to that of greek statues (nose is the continuation of the forehead, same shape of the mouth and chin), hazel eyes, dark brown hair and a very ectomorphic build.
My father is a sort of robust alpinid/CM, with a broad face and forehead, a short nose, brown eyes, black hair and a mesomoprhic build.

I came out very similar to my mother, same pigmentation, similar build (albeit a bit more robust), yet it's as if features from my father had been imprinted on, my profile is half way between theirs, the way the flesh is arranged on my face (muscles) is definitely my father's.

As of my siblings :
-Younger sister who turned out more similar to my dad (short nose, broader face), but with my mother's build and even lighter pigmentation (blue eyes and chestnut hair).
-Even younger sister is a carbon copy of my mother, albeit for brown eyes. They look so similar at the same age it looks like cloning.

From my observations, children usually acquire the bodybuild of their mother, more than their father, although the father's build can have an incidence on it.

Inese
11-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Some relative say i am a good mix of my mother and father!! My nose and my ears are of my father and the nose is really a total clone! :rolleyes: And my eyes and eye color is exact the same to his eyes.

My lips, eyebrows and hairs are of my mother. The soft face form and the chuby cheeks too!! Hm and yes i have the height of my father and the little bust size of my mother :puppy_dp: Because i think i am full grown now and all :pray: was useless loool!! ^_^ But what ever i had a good catch with my genes and traits dispite that small problem :nod:

Bari
11-03-2009, 01:27 PM
I look alot like my father, only that he is a little darker.

Bard
11-03-2009, 01:40 PM
I look mostly like my mother.
Light brown hair, tall (not my mother who is quite short, but her bros are at least 1.85/1.90), green eyes, fair skin.

Psychonaut
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Few questions:

I ended up halfway between my maternal grandfather (who was a Mediterranid) and my father (who is a Corded Nordid).

Gooding
11-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Few questions:
Is there any scientific genetic explanation to the claim that girls looked more like their fathers and boys like their mothers? Is that true in fact?
Are there different mechanisms for inheritance of the different physical traits - hair color, eye color, nose shape, body shape?

I resemble my mother more than my father.The pigmentation and hair color come from my maternal grandfather, while my features are largely those of my maternal grandmother, with influences from my father.

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I am a bit of both in appearance, but closer to my father, though both have a similar look too :P

Dombra
07-18-2014, 12:23 PM
I look more like my mother

King Claus
07-18-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm leaning for at least 80% to the perfect appearance of my glorious father, and also my behaviour.

Linet
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
I dont look like my mother, i am probably a clone of her with different color or hair and eyes http://emoticoner.com/files/emoticons/smileys/copy-smiley.gif?1292867575. In the past people would either call me with her name or they would stop me and ask me if i am her daughter.

Tyfani
07-18-2014, 12:43 PM
I believe the reason we think girls look alike to their fathers and boys to their mother is this:

Let's pretend that the offspring shares 50-50 by mother and father on characteristics.
The male characteristics are way more outstanding on a girl's face so that is why we reach the conclusion that the daughter looks more like her father. The same goes for the boys as well.
Of course there are some things (nose or eyes) that will pop out no matter what. I know a girl that looks exactly the same with her mother apart from the eyes that are copy-paste from her dad :p everybody says she is just like him :p

Also it has to do with how much the couple look alike. If they are common people with same colours and no special outstanding characteristics, 90% of the sons will look like their father and girls like their mother

Tyfani
07-18-2014, 12:45 PM
To go on, I take me as an example. I don't look like my father or my mother but anyone can tell I am their daughter "as a total"

Linebacker
07-18-2014, 01:15 PM
Few questions:

By facial structure,I look more like my mother(Classified Baltid-CM) but by pigmentation I have my father's dark features(Classified Dinaro-Borreby)

None whatsoever.

Vasconcelos
07-18-2014, 02:30 PM
I look a lot more like my uncle (mother's brother) than my parents. When we were kids I was his spitting image.

Tacitus
07-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I'm probably an even mix of both parents, even though people say I look more like my father.

As for grandparents, I apparently have the exact same eye color as my maternal grandfather (medium brown), but I think that comes from the fact that my mother's eyes are hazel while my father's are a very dark brown.

Amud
07-18-2014, 09:09 PM
I take more after my mother, who is some sort of Keltic / Tronder type. My dad is some sort of Dinaro-Med, but with a short, Alpine-like nose. I've definitely inherited some traits from him, but they are not traits that go into determining a person's subrace.

Leo Iscariot
07-18-2014, 09:31 PM
The only thing I really got from my dad is my nose, otherwise I've been told that I look more like my mom.

moja123
07-19-2014, 05:39 PM
In my case paternal genes are much more dominant, I believe. My grandfather and father (from Georgia) both have reddish hair / green eyes while my mother has brown eyes and black hair. My facial features resembles my father a lot and I also have reddish brown hair and green eyes.