PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mbit/s for almost everyone

Östsvensk
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
http://www.dn.se/ekonomi/100-mbits-till-nastan-alla-svenskar-1.987681

90 percent of all households will have access to at least 100 Mbit/s before 2020. That is the governments goal. The industry welcomes the strategy, but it will take more than that to keep the management within IT.

Again and again, Sweden has been pointed out as one of the most mature IT-countries in the world. But during lately, more and more critical voices have been heard from both IT companies and interest groups. The government has been criticized for not having a clear strategy and for not wanting to invest sufficiently.

But on Tuesday, the Infrastructure Minister Åsa Torstensson presented a new broadband strategy.

The Government's aim is now to access 90 percent of all households and businesses to broadband with at least 100 Mbit/s before 2020. Before 2015, 40 percent will reach that speed.

- This is very welcome. We will do everything we can to achieve these goals. We would have loved to see that the government's goal would be that all Swedes will get 100 Mbit/s, says Håkan Dahlström, head of business broadband, Telia Sonera.

The proposal is also welcomed by the IT-industry organization and Telecom companies.

- That the government now presents a goal feels like a step in the right direction. It is also positive that Åsa Torstensson invites companies and organizations to talk about this. But now it is important that this will not be a meeting consisting of a little coffee with cookies, it needs action now, says Mikael von Otter, commercial political expert on IT and telecom companies.

Mikael von Otter does think that the government's target is low. Neighboring Finland, among other countries, has higher goals for its broadband strategy.

- There are also a number of questions that needs to be straightened out. We claim in particular that support from the state will be needed for accessing broadband to sparsely populated areas.

In February next year, the government will have to submit a bill concerning the broadband issue. But according to Åsa Torstenssons press secretary Kenneth Hultgren, there are no plans that the state will go in with a multi-billion support.

Today, over one million Swedes have access to fiber which can provide up to 100 Mbit/s when surfing. But technology is constantly evolving and several operators also plans to invest in mobile broadband to reach very high speeds.

According to Håkan Dahlström, Telia Sonera will love to build their fiber network out, but on the same time it is important that the Post and Telecom agency as soon as possible decides the price that Telia will take out when other companies will rent their network.

- This is a heavy investment and we don't want the price to be changed after we have made our investments.

anonymaus
11-03-2009, 02:47 PM
90 percent of all households will have access to 100 Mbit/s before 2020.

Awesome!

That is the governments goal.

:confused:

The industry welcomes the strategy, but it will take more than that to keep the management within IT.

...more and more critical voices have been heard from both IT companies and interest groups. The government has been criticized for not having a clear strategy and for not wanting to invest sufficiently.

¿Que?

Why are these companies sucking at the Swedish taxpayer's teat if things are going so well...?

W. R.
11-03-2009, 05:23 PM
I wish I abandoned the dial-up by that time. :D

God damn Beltelecom and all monopolists in the world.

Östsvensk
11-03-2009, 05:52 PM
¿Que?

Why are these companies sucking at the Swedish taxpayer's teat if things are going so well...?

Well, at least it is better that they are putting the money on this proejct instead of giving them in welfare checks to non-whites. :)

Lahtari
11-03-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, at least it is better that they are putting the money on this proejct instead of giving them in welfare checks to non-whites. :)

Do you think the money given to this is away from welfare checks given to non-whites?

This is just another case of a social-democratic government forcefully selling people things that most of them do not need. They are still paid for, either as tax payers or ISP customers.

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 06:13 PM
This is just another case of a social-democratic government forcefully selling people things that most of them do not need. They are still paid for, either as tax payers or ISP customers.

The actual government is not social democrat there, you need better information.. :coffee: :cool:

Damn right.. I liked the proposal! ;)

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Today, over one million Swedes have access to fiber which can provide up to 100 Mbit/s when surfing. But technology is constantly evolving and several operators also plans to invest in mobile broadband to reach very high speeds.

Where I study can provide up to 100 Mbit/s when surfing, I guess.. ;)
Almost all universities already have in this country.

Östsvensk
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Where I study can provide up to 100 Mbit/s when surfing, I guess.. ;)
Almost all universities already have in this country.

The good thing with the article is that they speak of at least 100 Mbit/s. :thumb001:

Lahtari
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
The actual government is not social democrat there, you need better information.. :coffee: :cool:

Yes I know, I didn't mean the party but the system. Bad choice of words.

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 07:40 PM
The good thing with the article is that they speak of at least 100 Mbit/s. :thumb001:

Såg nyss en sida där man kan köpa 200 Mbit/s ner och upp det är ju helt sjukt!

http://www.svensktbredband.se/

:D

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Our govt likes to spend insane money on worthless ends, that's it.

Östsvensk
11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Our govt likes to spend insane money on worthless ends, that's it.

How is access to high speed Internet and probably channels in HDTV at 1080p "worthless"? I doubt that other methods (except satellite) could handle many channels in 1080p.

Technology evolves, and thus it needs upgrades. :thumb001:

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I think it is better the government spending money on technological development than it spending on other things unusable such as "humanitarian help" or in "pseudo-refugees" .. wtf??

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
How is access to high speed Internet and probably channels in HDTV at 1080p "worthless"? I doubt that other methods (except satellite) could handle many channels in 1080p.

Those things are very near worthless anyway.

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I think it is better the government spending money on technological development than it spending on other things unusable such as "humanitarian help" or in "pseudo-refugees" .. wtf??

How do you know that this "technological development" - or mass production and mass distribution of technology rather - is not the very thing that attracts foreigners more than anything else?

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 08:53 PM
How do you know that this "technological development" - or mass production and mass distribution of technology rather - is not the very thing that attracts foreigners more than anything else?

You have a point there, it is mass distribution of technology .. in the end it ends up attracting foreign in some way, unfortunately ...

However, example, how much the government is spending money to Iraqis refugees since 2003? What Sweden has gained in return?

At least, the above project can generate jobs for the locals..

Östsvensk
11-03-2009, 08:59 PM
You have a point there, it is mass distribution of technology .. in the end it ends up attracting foreign in some way, unfortunately ...

However, example, how much the government is spending money to Iraqis refugees since 2003? What Sweden has gained in return?

And in the end, it should force some of the "refugees" to give their welfare money away for the purpose of Internet. :D

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 09:08 PM
And in the end, it should force some of the "refugees" to give their welfare money away for the purpose of Internet. :D

Dry "their" money ;).. at the end we who pay it :D

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM

You haven't noticed the everincreasing tendency of Swedish enterprises, corporations and chains to contract foreigners on terms that are much more cost effective?

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 09:57 PM
You haven't noticed the everincreasing tendency of Swedish enterprises, corporations and chains to contract foreigners on terms that are much more cost effective?

In the case of qualified workers, such as Indians, Americans and Thai for IT companies, I have observed this phenomenon in Malmö or Baltic and Poles immigrants in civil construction..
.. I find it negative too, but how can you compare that to 30,000 annually uneducated refugees
with no financial return, only costs?

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 10:55 PM
In the case of qualified workers, such as Indians, Americans and Thai for IT companies, I have observed this phenomenon in Malmö or Baltic and Poles immigrants in civil construction..
.. I find it negative too, but how can you compare that to 30,000 annually uneducated refugees
with no financial return, only costs?

Are you pretending that Swedes stand entirely above this massive influx of labour?

If one wants a civilisation in which soil means absolutely nothing more than material resources for industry, then what you said would make some sense and otherwise not, in my opinion.

Stefan
11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
I envy you small countries. The average in the United States is somewhere around 5Mbit/s. I have around 8mbit/s. I guess the U.S is just too big to implement something that fast on a large scale.

Brännvin
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Are you pretending that Swedes stand entirely above this massive influx of labour?

I am against these two types of immigration both are destructive to medium and short-term, I'm just pointing out a fact that one type of immigration is "worse" than the other, actually..

If one wants a civilisation in which soil means absolutely nothing more than material resources for industry, then what you said would make some sense and otherwise not, in my opinion.

I know what you mean, but I don't want it..
It is the postmodern era where we living, the country as a whole is already within this structure.. What would be the alternative to this then?

Anthropos
11-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I am against these two types of immigration both are destructive to medium and short-term, I'm just pointing out a fact that one type of immigration is "worse" than the other, actually..

Worse for a politician's reputation and for corporate management, that is. For the man on the street, economically effective influx is worse, especially since Swedes must first cease to be Swedish citizens if they want to compete with that influx on equal terms.

I know what you mean, but I don't want it..
It is the postmodern era where we living, the country as a whole is already within this structure.. What would be the alternative to this then?

The word 'no' is an alternative.

Lahtari
11-04-2009, 07:48 AM

And when the net gets stuck just while you're watching a movie, you'll have 0 channels with the resolution 0x0px. No thanks. :D

If some people want to pay for things like HDTV, let them pay for it. Most people would still be fully content with the old analog TV.

I envy you small countries. The average in the United States is somewhere around 5Mbit/s. I have around 8mbit/s. I guess the U.S is just too big to implement something that fast on a large scale.

I'm using 1Mb/s, and that's well enough for me. I don't use p2p and I don't need to watch more than one Youtube video at a time. For normal surfing, most bottlenecks are in the server end anyway.

Vulpix
11-04-2009, 08:38 AM

Is it? How come Japan is still 98.5%-ish ethnic Japanese? :icon_ask:

Anthropos
11-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Is it? How come Japan is still 98.5%-ish ethnic Japanese? :icon_ask:

Because Japan does not fit the description? Japan is highly developed technologically, but her technology is not distributed to everyone.

Vulpix
11-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Because Japan does not fit the description? Japan is highly developed technologically, but her technology is not distributed to everyone.

Ok looks like I misunderstood you.

Lahtari
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM

It's not about distributing technology, it's about distributing money and having open borders.

Why should poor people move to a country even if it had a free 100Mb/s connection for everyone if they couldn't even afford basic living, let alone a computer? The poor of the world are not after high tech, they're after handouts and job opportunities.

Anthropos
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Ok looks like I misunderstood you. I take it that with "not distributed to everyone", you mean in a government-sponsored kind of way?

Yes. Technology is not to be underestimated for as long as it is purposeful, i.e. for as long as it is not propagated for its own sake.

It's not about distributing technology, it's about distributing money and having open borders.

Why should poor people move to a country even if it had a free 100Mb/s connection for everyone if they couldn't even afford basic living, let alone a computer? The poor of the world are not after high tech, they're after handouts and job opportunities.

Let's not split our hairs over this. There can be many different aspects of 'distribution', and I see no intrinsic value in making sure that some people are destitue. As for the borders, that's another aspect, but mass distribution of commodities for their own sake is bound to screw up a civilisation whether or not mass immigration is also implemented or not. Local initiatives are always smothered by that line of national finance, in a way that one ought not to encourage (unless of course one thinks that governmentally planned corporate capitalism and outright economical corruption is the pinnacle of civilisation).

Brännvin
11-04-2009, 05:18 PM
About Japan;

Yes, they also use foreign workers as cheap labor, the difference is that the policies of "guest workers" works in Japan better than in any "western country".

Anthropos
11-04-2009, 05:56 PM
About Japan;

Yes, they also use foreign workers as cheap labor, the difference is that the policies of "guest workers" works in Japan better than in any "western country".

That the terms for guest workers in Sweden are 'bad' according to Swedish standards is a big part of the problem, that was one of my points, and that is even more true since Swedes cannot escape the Swedish standard. But to speak about 'bad terms' like that is really misleading, since those terms are not decided upon in Sweden. Swedish citizens just couldn't, for the sake of competing for those jobs, agree to a lower salary or a more effective working schedule, because it is against the law and against agreements that unions made with employers on behalf of Swedish citizens.

The result is that Swedes are unemployed in proportionally greater numbers. In the EU, guest workers are employed on the terms of the country in which they are citizens, not on the terms of the country in which they work. In other words, it is always the multinational employer who benefits from this arrangement, and rarely if ever Swedish citizens, since we have this fancy 'standard of living' and all these insurance policies that are also legislated for us over our heads. All these things just go to make for an absurd labour market for Swedes, while it doesn't really help us much in any way, since prices are also proportionally higher.