PDA

View Full Version : What is your view on respect?

Sehnsucht
11-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Do you believe that all humans deserve a basic level of respect unconditionally regardless of behavior?

Or do you think that respect is conditional, must be earned and that people who have not done or accomplished something to earn or "champion" their respect deserves no respect at all?

I believe that all people, (with the obvious exceptions such as serial killers, rapists, mass murderers, etc.) especially high rank people such as myself deserve to be respected because everyone has some value as an individual created by God. To not respect someone is to treat them like dirt and deny their rank. You see, respect is something that God wants people to give one another as noble individuals it is not something that must be "earned" or "championed" respect is not a trophy that must be "earned" or "championed". Respect is an entitlement not an award. You don't need to earn respect because people need to respect you regardless of whether you "earned" it or not. I hate it when people won't respect me or say respect must be earned because that is not a godly view at all. Such people are an exception to the rule they who do not respect you because they think you need to earn it they should be denied their basic right to have respect.

If people are not willing to respect you then you don't need to respect them. People who do not respect others do not deserve respect themselves. I expect people to respect me because I am a high rank individual and you should too, regardless of your deeds.

arcticwolf
11-28-2013, 08:17 PM
No, no one does. Respect has to be earned.

What everything deserves, including humans is civility and kindness.

Szegedist
11-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Respect must be earned.

Those who respect everybody and everything for the sake of it, respect from them means nothing.

miscellaneous
11-28-2013, 08:21 PM
I personally hate that word. It is so vague and relative. What does respect actually mean? That word is empty, overused on anything and everywhere which as a consequence devalued its meaning.

KidMulat
11-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I feel all humans have an intrinsic value and therefore because they are of worth they are worthy of respect.

My default is to respect all people outright, they have to do/say something that displays disrespect to others/myself for me to no longer give it to him.

Leadchucker
11-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I feel all humans have an intrinsic value and therefore because they are of worth they are worthy of respect.

My default is to respect all people outright, they have to do/say something that displays disrespect to others/myself for me to no longer give it to him.

I'll second that. Well said.

Also
11-28-2013, 08:29 PM
I respect everyone, including myself. Respect is given, admiration is earned, people should learn the difference.

Smaug
11-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Dignity and kindness are pertinent to all Human beings regardless of status, respect on the other hand must be earned.

The King, I am
11-28-2013, 08:41 PM
I respect everyone if they respect me

MelinusMargos
11-28-2013, 08:44 PM
I agree with the people above, respect must be earned, as dignity and kindness. But not everyone is worth of respect or equality.

Veneda
11-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Basic politeness and respect for humans is a must. All above this depends on how interaction proceeds. I have no problem to respect people for their different opinions. Actually it is advantage to me, because it helps me to perceive the issue from the different point of view. So it grows, providing that opinion exchange undergoes with mutual respect.

Leo Iscariot
12-24-2013, 11:31 PM

Agreed.

GrebluBro
12-24-2013, 11:34 PM
All humans by Default deserve respect
Actions determine whether more respect or disrespect.

Oneeye
12-24-2013, 11:43 PM
How do you guys define respect? And what examples can you give of yourselves being respectful towards another?

de Burgh II
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Respect in its own way is something that you have to earn in order be deemed "worthy" of such a thing. I go by the philosophy " I only give people what they have coming to them." Meaning that if a person is giving you respect, then, I'll be more than happy to give it back. If a person give you disrespect; by all means, give disrespect back. Simple as that.

Caismeachd
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
You need to brutally put people in their place to earn it because the most undeserving of it want it/pretend to have it the most.

portusaus
01-06-2014, 01:04 AM
I personally hate that word. It is so vague and relative. What does respect actually mean? That word is empty, overused on anything and everywhere which as a consequence devalued its meaning.

Agreed. Respect is a social construct that doesn't mean anything outside of the perspective of the individual.

People become infuriated over a lack of something meaningless.

rhiannon
01-28-2014, 03:31 AM

No, no one does. Respect has to be earned.
What everything deserves, including humans is civility and kindness.

Both of these.:)

However, we can leave out Child killers, serial killers, murdering POSs in general, child rapists, pedophiles, and other violent filth whose goal in life seems to be destroying the lives of innocents.

Aldaris
05-04-2019, 07:39 PM
My definition of dignity (although a bit simplified) is basically ‘amount of respect´ you get from others as an individual aswell as the ‘amount of respect´, which the social groups you are part of get. The simplification is that one can engage in a behavior I’d mark as indignified while not being disrespected by anyone for that, so the two terms aren’t completely synonymous in my view. Traditional definitions often include some kind of moral or just behavior, but I do not include these, for such definitions lump together things that are pretty much unconnected under one label. To finally answer the question, no, people aren’t all born with the same invariant, positive ‘amount of respect’ and then everything is up to them, for at the moment when you are born, you are inevitably assigned with ascribed social characteristics. A rather extreme example, but people will not respect a daughter of a poor Thai whore in the same way they would respect a son of a wealthy Portuguese nobleman.

Celestia
05-04-2019, 07:41 PM
I believe that every decent and morally good human being deserves a basic level of respect.

El_Abominacion
05-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Manners and a basic level of respect should be mandatory. They’re things that many of us in the younger generations lack severely nowadays

Insuperable
05-04-2019, 07:52 PM
I respect it.

Aldaris
05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
I believe that every decent and morally good human being deserves a basic level of respect.

Why do you believe so? Respect, as I understand it, doesn’t have anything with approval of one’s actions, for it comes with social status, not moral behavior.

Celestia
05-04-2019, 08:02 PM
Why do you believe so? Respect, as I understand it, doesn’t have anything with approval of one’s actions, for it comes with social status, not moral behavior.

Well it depends on what respect means to you.
I am not going to be disrespectful to someone who has a lower social status then me if they are a moral person.
You can have the highest social status but if you are an asshole and belittle others, I am not going to respect you.

War Chef
05-04-2019, 08:14 PM
I am not going to be disrespectful to someone who has a lower social status then me if they are a moral person.
You can have the highest social status but if you are an asshole and belittle others, I am not going to respect you.

What is "social status" these days anyway? Besides the number of likes you have on Facebook.

Celestia
05-04-2019, 08:16 PM
What is "social status" these days anyway? Besides the number of likes you have on Facebook.

hahaha, I guess it could mean what kind of money you're making or position you have in your career.

Moje ime
05-04-2019, 08:20 PM
I respect someone who keeps promise in every sense but for that, person has to have strong personality. I didn't meet many people like that.

War Chef
05-04-2019, 08:21 PM
I respect someone who keeps promise in every sense but for that, person has to have strong personality. I didn't meet many people like that.

This seems to be a Slavic girl thing for sure. I've heard this before & yeah, im the scumbag who couldn't keep his promises

Gründig
05-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Clearly you should show respect for people on a daily basis, it's called having common courtesy. With this being said, I believe real respect is earned.

Aldaris
05-04-2019, 08:24 PM

I did not define it in my previous post, since the definition would be extremely complicated and thats assuming I’d even be able to do that, which I doubt, actually. I have attempted to formalize my inner feelings with words, but I have never fully succeded, in my opinion, for it always lacked the essence or some important axioms. I’m therefore left with examples, mostly. An evil, cruel tyrant with a strict code of conduct can be respected and hated at the same time by his servants, for example. Respect is something like an acknowledgement of one’s higher social status, but this notion is far from perfect.

Celestia
05-04-2019, 08:26 PM
I did not define it in my previous post, since the definition would be extremely complicated and thats assuming I’d even be able to do that, which I doubt, actually. I have attempted to formalize my inner feelings with words, but I have never fully succeded, in my opinion, for it always lacked the essence or some important axioms. I’m therefore left with examples, mostly. An evil, cruel tyrant with a strict code of conduct can be respected and hated at the same time by his servants, for example. Respect is something like an acknowledgement of one’s social status, but this notion is far from perfect.

Ah of course. Respect is a hard thing for one to define. I think it's more of a personal feeling someone has. But you're right. I can respect someone and still hate them at the same time. But my true utmost admirable respect will be for someone of power who uses it to help others.

Mans not hot
05-04-2019, 08:30 PM
Life around you with people get competitive and challenging from different background, religious, ideology but still share the same respect as long as they are agreeing to disagreeing and respect each with the same treat. Disrespectful is a sign of hatery, provocation, jealous and among other things.

Aldaris
05-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Ah of course. Respect is a hard thing for one to define. I think it's more of a personal feeling someone has. But you're right. I can respect someone and still hate them at the same time. But my true utmost admirable respect will be for someone of power who uses it to help others.

It certainly holds, that feelings are hard to define, without omiting the essence. Psychology is no mathematics. I was extremely confused about my feelings since I was three or four years old until my teens. For example, when I was about four years old, my mother had taken me to the doctor to get some vaccination, I didn’t care about the pain or anything like that, but I felt violated and disrespected, for an invasive act has physically been done to me against my wiill, I felt terribly humiliated and angry, so I’ve totally ravaged the place, when the doctor left and I was alone in her office. I will never forget the rage.

Aldaris
05-06-2019, 07:45 PM
How do you guys define respect? And what examples can you give of yourselves being respectful towards another?

I can define respect simply by listing some general rules, which every respected person has to satisfy, but such definition would lack context, as it wouldn’t state, why the rules are chosen in this precise way. There are some evolutionary reasons, why are we (well most of us, anyway) able to identify the concept in the first place. Respect has everything with sense of worthiness as a human being at the most elementary level, with the special emphasis on the expression ‘most elementary’. Interestingly, one can think of himself as the smartest, most awesome person in the entire universe, yet still can feel like he isn’t respected enough as a human and feel inferior, while some dumb jerk can get a lot of respect. I do not like to speak of respect in the way most people do, as I regard the common usage of the word to be extremely liberal and redundant, to the point, we have a hard time explaining ourselves with the current vocabulary (as is evident right now). Expressions like ‘I respect him because he is so smart’ or ‘I respect him because he helps people around him and is so nice to everyone’ make no sense by my definition, as the dumb and evil can still retain nobility and some ‘ethereal’ humanity (not in a moral way). Certain dehumanization is necessary in the order for the value of what I call respect to be lowered - being thought of solely as some kind of unit to generate something, your body being used as a source of amusement, being part of a social group, whose members perform such acts, all of these things are valid examples of this.

Magnolia
05-06-2019, 08:03 PM
I keep respect for everyone till a person doesn't convice me that the person doesn't worth of my respect. I think this is the most healthy attitude for everyone. You can't be respected if you don't keep respect for others... that's rule.

Pascal6996
05-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Respect is the most overused word in the most immoral world.

Moje ime
05-06-2019, 08:25 PM

Well said.

Aldaris
05-06-2019, 08:27 PM

To hell with ‘goodness’.

Magnolia
05-06-2019, 08:48 PM

What is moral... according to you? The golden rule of morality says 'Dont do to others what you dont want them to do to you'. Probably a definition issue - i cant understand how one could be respectful if the person is not moral.

Aldaris
05-09-2019, 06:57 PM

A very complex thing, which is hard to define, if you don't want to be overly general and vague, ending up saying nothing. In one of my previous posts (https://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?103915-What-is-your-view-on-respect&p=6017248&viewfull=1#post6017248), I have kind of defined, what I mean by 'respect', although I'm not entirely satisfied with it, as I still don't think, I've properly dealt with all the subtle stuff connected to what I really mean. That'd be the hardest part in the definition of social status. Other variables, on which social status is based on (rather uninteresting, in my opinion), include competences, wealth, cultural capital, etc.

Kivan
05-09-2019, 07:07 PM
From the personal side, respect depends on the attitude, you have to deserve it. Although, anyone who behave decently deserve to have his/her space and propriety respected regardless if you like the person or not.

Aldaris
05-09-2019, 07:14 PM
From the personal side, respect depends on the attitude, you have to deserve it. Although, anyone who behave decently deserve to have his/her space and propriety respected regardless if you like the person or not.

How do you understand the notion? As was pointed out before, it has become incredibly vague.