PDA

View Full Version : Dutch TV station asked to apologize after racism complaints on Chinese participant

microrobert
11-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Dutch TV station asked to apologize after racism complaints on Chinese participant

The Discrimination Hotline of Amsterdam (MDRA) has written to Dutch TV station RTL, asking for a formal apology after receiving complaints that a Chinese-origin participant was racially mistreated by a Dutch judge in a talent show.

During the Nov. 16 episode of Holland's Got Talent, several alleged slurs were made by jury member Gordon Heuckeroth against Chinese-origin participant Wang Xiao. Some of his comments to Wang included, "Which number are you singing? Number 39 with rice?"

The remarks were picked up by media in the United States, China and Holland a few days later and created an uproar. Dutch Deputy Prime Minister Lodewijk Asscher also weighed in, calling the statements inappropriate.

Heuckeroth reacted saying Wang did not feel offended. "If that man had felt differently, I would have offered my apologies," he told local media.
"It was an innocent joke, stigmatizing yes, but I do not consider it as racism," he said. Adding that he perhaps joked "too much."

The MDRA received 15 complaints of racism and said it took the matter seriously.

"Looking at the surnames, the complaints were mainly made by people from the Chinese community or the Asian community," Jessica Silversmith, director of the MDRA, told Xinhua.

"In the complaints, the judge's statements are called racist and unacceptable. Also, people cannot understand that he does not wants to offer apologies," she added.

Heuckeroth responded on Twitter on Wednesday saying: "I believe that everyone is going nuts!"

Dutch TV station asked to apologize after racism complaints on Chinese participant | GlobalPost (http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/xinhua-news-agency/131128/dutch-tv-station-asked-apologize-after-racism-complaints-chi)