PDA

View Full Version : Catholic hospitals denying life-saving treatment to pregnant women

Krystal Meth
12-03-2013, 12:34 PM
When you show up at a hospital, in need of medical aid, you expect that you're going to get the care that you need—that the doctors and nurses will figure out what's wrong, explain to you the options for treating it, and give you the best medical care possible.

That's what Tamesha Means thought, until she showed up at Mercy Health hospital.

Tamesha was only 18 weeks pregnant when her water broke prematurely. She rushed to Mercy Health—the only hospital within half an hour of where she lived. The hospital did not tell her then that she had little chance of a successful pregnancy, that she was at risk if she tried to continue the pregnancy, and that the safest course of care in her case was to end it. The hospital simply sent her home.

She came back the next day, bleeding and in pain, and again was turned away. Again, she was not told of the risks of trying to continue the pregnancy, or what her treatment options were. Tamesha returned yet a third time—by now suffering a significant infection. The hospital was prepared to send her away once more, when she started to deliver.

Tamesha's baby died within hours of being born—at 18 weeks, it never had a chance.

How could something like this happen? Because Mercy Health is Catholic-sponsored, it is required to adhere to the "Ethical and Religious Directives," a set of rules created by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB) to govern the provision of medical care at Catholic-run hospitals. At hospitals like Mercy Health, the Directives are put above medical standards of care.

The Directives prohibit Catholic-sponsored facilities from providing vital health services and the information patients need to make informed decisions about their health care, and from honoring patients' wishes when they conflict with Catholic directives. This is true even if as in Tamesha's case, compliance with the Directives pose a direct threat to patient health.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/reproductive-freedom-womens-rights-religion-belief/pregnant-woman-suffers-you-wont-believe-whos

Also
12-03-2013, 12:53 PM
Wow, a Catholic Hospital following Catholic Directives, let's turn them into godless amoral secular atheist (or really anti-theist) abortionists. The only reason why there is a single hospital in her county is because the Church built one.

dude
12-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Wow, a Catholic Hospital following Catholic Directives, let's turn into godless amoral secular atheist (or really anti-theist) abortionists. The only reason why there is a single hospital in her county is because the Church built one.

Excuse me you ignorant moron, this was in the US, not in a third world country as Brazil.

Also
12-03-2013, 01:23 PM
Excuse me you ignorant moron, this was in the US, not in a third world country as Brazil.

Do people in this first world country, the US, know the difference between the words "county" and "country" from their own language and how to read properly? I think their problem is not only hospitals.
The hospital was the only one in her county, as the ACLU itself says: https://www.aclu.org/reproductive-freedom-womens-rights/tamesha-means-v-united-states-conference-catholic-bishops.

dude
12-03-2013, 04:48 PM
Do people in this first world country, the US, know the difference between the words "county" and "country" from their own language and how to read properly? I think their problem is not only hospitals.
The hospital was the only one in her county, as the ACLU itself says: https://www.aclu.org/reproductive-freedom-womens-rights/tamesha-means-v-united-states-conference-catholic-bishops.

Its because I'm an ass.

silver_surfer
12-03-2013, 05:08 PM
This reminds me of the story out of Europe about a year ago, where that woman died because they refused to give her an abortion. I think it was in Ireland.

Smaug
12-03-2013, 08:41 PM

Brazil is not a third world country but rather an emerging economy.

alb0zfinest
12-03-2013, 08:43 PM
Brazil is not a third world country but rather an emerging economy.

Which is a nice term for 3rd world. But technically Brazil is a 2nd world country going by its GDP per person.

Smaug
12-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Which is a nice term for 3rd world. But technically Brazil is a 2nd world country going by its GDP per person.

No, Third World is Third World. Poor. Emerging is Second World (not using the Cold War termination for communist nations but the current one), a Middle Class-like country.

alb0zfinest
12-03-2013, 10:01 PM
No, Third World is Third World. Poor. Emerging is Second World (not using the Cold War termination for communist nations but the current one), a Middle Class-like country.

Not necessarily China for example is labeled as emerging yet China is far from second world. emerging is like developing countries which are usually 3rd world. But as I have already said Brazil is second world.