PDA

View Full Version : Danes: We are too tolerant of Muslims

VAARON
12-03-2013, 11:55 PM
After numerous heated debates over whether Muslims are imposing their culture upon Denmark, poll shows most think too many concessions are made for the minority (http://cphpost.dk/news/danes-we-are-too-tolerant-of-muslims.7324.html)

http://cphpost.dk/image/crop/22405/673/450.jpg

The public debates over banned Christmas trees, halal meat at schools and cashiers wearing headscarves appear to have made the Danish population more wary about giving their Muslim neighbours cultural concessions.

According to a new survey by market researcher TNS Gallup, carried out for Berlingske newspaper, every third non-Muslim Dane is under the impression that Denmark is too tolerant of its Muslim minority population.

Jens Peter Frølund Thomsen, a political science professor at Aarhus University, said that the most surprising thing about the survey was how little the Danish mentality has shifted, even though the Muslim immigrants arrived years ago.

“The demands of assimilation weigh heavily on the Danish public," Thomsen told Berlingske. "We have a very ethnocentric culture and when people speak of integration in Denmark, they’re really talking about assimilation.”

READ MORE: How one local decision created a national ‘War on Christmas’

Danes right to protect values
Mehmet Necef, a lecturer at the Institute of Middle East Studies at the University of Southern Denmark and the co-author of the book ‘Er Danskerne racister?’ (‘Are Danes Racist?’), argued that Danes are right to guard their values.

“A decision to only serve halal-butchered meat is a failure because initiatives that cater specifically to a certain group will generate considerable irritation in the other group,” Necef told Berlingske.

Necef pointed to the survey findings that showed that even 20 percent of people who vote for left-wing party Enhedslisten believe that the Danes are too tolerant of Muslims.

“There is even irritation amongst people who have a positive view on Muslims and immigrants," Necef said.

READ MORE: You’re Still Here? | ‘Are the Danes racists?’

Hotly-debated issues
Muslims' place in Danish society has taken centre stage this past year following a number of high-profile incidents that left ethnic Danes feeling irked by what they interpreted as Muslim minorities imposing their culture upon them.

Last Christmas, the decision by a resident’s association of a housing complex in the northern Zealand town of Kokkedal to not fund an annual Christmas tree led to so much controversy that the cultural minister at the time, Uffe Elbæk (formerly Radikale), received death threats.

Then, this past summer, heated debates over whether halal meat should be served in public institutions or pork in the nation’s daycare institutions prompted the prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt (Socialdemokraterne), to step in.

“We need to remember in our zeal to welcome new citizens not to lose sight of our own culture,” Thorning-Schmidt told DR Nyheder back in August.

READ MORE: The storm in the kebab shop: The great halal debate returns

Danes, immigrants lead separate lives
Lise-Lotte Duch, the head of FAKTI, an association that helps female refugees and immigrants, contends that one of the biggest problems is that Danes and immigrants lead separate lives that rarely intersect. Because of that, prejudices are never broken down.

“If I had a Pakistani neighbour, I might think that their kids were noisy, that it smelled of curry and that their shoes on the step-landing were bloody annoying," Duch told Berlingske. "But if I get to know them and the wife offers to buy me a cola while I’m sick with the flu, I would suddenly become more tolerant of the other things.”

According to the survey, just 27 percent of Danes have Muslims in their social network, including work colleagues and family members.

VAARON
12-04-2013, 12:37 AM
BUMP.

Anglojew
12-04-2013, 12:51 AM
I would argue that we're too tolerant of Islam.

If we're going to import Muslims to the West we have to deislamise them or we can't complain when they bring their backwards values to the West.

Alternatively, we could encourgae reform Islam and more modern interpretations to take hold in their countries of origin.

Immigration is a bandaid solution anyway. Far better to recolonise the third-world and impose modern institutions and good governance upon failed states.

alb0zfinest
12-04-2013, 01:05 AM
I would argue that we're too tolerant of Islam.

If we're going to import Muslims to the West we have to deislamise them or we can't complain when they bring their backwards values to the West.

Alternatively, we could encourgae reform Islam and more modern interpretations to take hold in their countries of origin.

Immigration is a bandaid solution anyway. Far better to recolonise the third-world and impose modern institutions and good governance upon failed states.

The same can be said about Judaism. Why should we tolerate eating of foreskin? or regarding women as completely inferior? or kosher slaughter? yet we tolerate anyways. So you have a choice we either tolerate both, or we tolerate neither.

We are too tolerant of religion in general. Any rituals or ideas that go against the countries laws, imo should be banned. I'm not saying not let people believe what they want, but things like for example honor killings that sometimes are ignored to "show respect" to ones religion, should be banned.

Prisoner Of Ice
12-04-2013, 01:10 AM
Banned christmas trees is fucking ridiculous and makes me rage. Is that where this shit comes from in USA, too?

Prisoner Of Ice
12-04-2013, 01:12 AM
The same can be said about Judaism. Why should we tolerate eating of foreskin? or regarding women as completely inferior? or kosher slaughter? yet we tolerate anyways. So you have a choice we either tolerate both, or we tolerate neither.

Nobody eats foreskin any more, and it should obviously be banned. You can't change what people think, though.

Colonel Frank Grimes
12-04-2013, 01:21 AM
Banned christmas trees is fucking ridiculous and makes me rage. Is that where this shit comes from in USA, too?

Obviously not since the problem there is Muslims complaining about their children getting a superficial glimpse of Christianity in the class room and seeing it in ghey malls, I suppose, when they go shopping.

Here in the USA it's *whispers* the Jews... or just leftists in general who twist civil liberty laws.

Svipdag
12-04-2013, 01:23 AM
No, here it's the atheists who object to any public display of the symbols of any religion. They invoke the "separation of church and state",which was intended merely to assure that there would never be a state church, to demand that no symbols of any religion ever be displayed on any government-owned property.

CONSVETVDO LOCI OBSERVANDA EST -- Anon. Y. Mous

alb0zfinest
12-04-2013, 01:30 AM
Edit

Petros Houhoulis
12-09-2013, 10:59 AM
No, here it's the atheists who object to any public display of the symbols of any religion. They invoke the "separation of church and state",which was intended merely to assure that there would never be a state church, to demand that no symbols of any religion ever be displayed on any government-owned property.

CONSVETVDO LOCI OBSERVANDA EST -- Anon. Y. Mous

It would be more accurate to suggest that the Atheists reject the spending of public money on religion and the display of religious emblems in government property, which results to confusion to the general public, because people would begin to equate government with a specific religion.

Petros Houhoulis
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
After numerous heated debates over whether Muslims are imposing their culture upon Denmark, poll shows most think too many concessions are made for the minority (http://cphpost.dk/news/danes-we-are-too-tolerant-of-muslims.7324.html)

http://cphpost.dk/image/crop/22405/673/450.jpg

The public debates over banned Christmas trees, halal meat at schools and cashiers wearing headscarves appear to have made the Danish population more wary about giving their Muslim neighbours cultural concessions.

According to a new survey by market researcher TNS Gallup, carried out for Berlingske newspaper, every third non-Muslim Dane is under the impression that Denmark is too tolerant of its Muslim minority population.

Jens Peter Frølund Thomsen, a political science professor at Aarhus University, said that the most surprising thing about the survey was how little the Danish mentality has shifted, even though the Muslim immigrants arrived years ago.

“The demands of assimilation weigh heavily on the Danish public," Thomsen told Berlingske. "We have a very ethnocentric culture and when people speak of integration in Denmark, they’re really talking about assimilation.”

READ MORE: How one local decision created a national ‘War on Christmas’

Danes right to protect values
Mehmet Necef, a lecturer at the Institute of Middle East Studies at the University of Southern Denmark and the co-author of the book ‘Er Danskerne racister?’ (‘Are Danes Racist?’), argued that Danes are right to guard their values.

“A decision to only serve halal-butchered meat is a failure because initiatives that cater specifically to a certain group will generate considerable irritation in the other group,” Necef told Berlingske.

Necef pointed to the survey findings that showed that even 20 percent of people who vote for left-wing party Enhedslisten believe that the Danes are too tolerant of Muslims.

“There is even irritation amongst people who have a positive view on Muslims and immigrants," Necef said.

READ MORE: You’re Still Here? | ‘Are the Danes racists?’

Hotly-debated issues
Muslims' place in Danish society has taken centre stage this past year following a number of high-profile incidents that left ethnic Danes feeling irked by what they interpreted as Muslim minorities imposing their culture upon them.

Last Christmas, the decision by a resident’s association of a housing complex in the northern Zealand town of Kokkedal to not fund an annual Christmas tree led to so much controversy that the cultural minister at the time, Uffe Elbæk (formerly Radikale), received death threats.

Then, this past summer, heated debates over whether halal meat should be served in public institutions or pork in the nation’s daycare institutions prompted the prime minister, Helle Thorning-Schmidt (Socialdemokraterne), to step in.

“We need to remember in our zeal to welcome new citizens not to lose sight of our own culture,” Thorning-Schmidt told DR Nyheder back in August.

READ MORE: The storm in the kebab shop: The great halal debate returns

Danes, immigrants lead separate lives
Lise-Lotte Duch, the head of FAKTI, an association that helps female refugees and immigrants, contends that one of the biggest problems is that Danes and immigrants lead separate lives that rarely intersect. Because of that, prejudices are never broken down.

“If I had a Pakistani neighbour, I might think that their kids were noisy, that it smelled of curry and that their shoes on the step-landing were bloody annoying," Duch told Berlingske. "But if I get to know them and the wife offers to buy me a cola while I’m sick with the flu, I would suddenly become more tolerant of the other things.”

According to the survey, just 27 percent of Danes have Muslims in their social network, including work colleagues and family members.

Of course the government cannot interfere in the decision of the council to not allow a Christmas tree, but instead it should do what was necessary in the first place: Send those Muzzies without proper papers back to where they came from, and even cancel citizenships and stuff to those who fled their homes because of intolerance, only to become intolerant in the country which hosts them...

This is the ONLY solution!

The King, I am
12-09-2013, 11:13 AM
fuckk, Christmas is one of the most celebrated holidays here, right now every dane has a Christmas tree and decorations on their homes

Wtf is wrong with the danish government for allowing this, my dad told me about a school no longer serving pork because of the ethnic minorities in the school, pork is what puts Denmark on the map, that and pastries, why would they allow this shit to happen

It starts small like this but in 20 years it ends up like London