PDA

View Full Version : Greetings From the Latest Sheep!

Freomęg
01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Hey everyone. Some of you might know me from Skadi. I tried oh-so-hard to limit my web-preservationism to one forum, but seemingly, so many of my Skadi-comrades call this place home too that curiosity got the better of me. I can't yet say whether I'll be as active here as on Skadi.

To those who don't know me:
I'm the son of an English father and a Dutch mother. I've inhabited south-eastern England all of my life (though I grow increasingly weary of it :rolleyes:). My primary interest is making and listening to music - heavy metal and rock foremost. Beyond that I weight-train, explore Britain's ancient sites and read. I'm a freelance designer by trade, have a beautiful fiance and exercise my distate for modernity and animal cruelty in the form of a strict vegan diet.

Politically, I refute the left/right paradigm. I've found it to be meaningless in all honesty. All that counts is your opinion on levels of government intervention. I believe in liberty but not anarchy, conservatism and National sovereignty, but not racial superiority. Spiritually, I'm reluctant to put firm labels on my beliefs because they incorporate aspects of Paganism, Occultism, Shamanism and Gnosticism. Though I do practice these things in a decisively 'British' way - drawing on both Celtic and Germanic tradition.

There! I've no doubt that'll raise a few eyebrows. ;)

Tolleson
01-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the forum.:wavey001:

Revenant
01-03-2009, 01:36 PM
G'day, welcome to the forum.:thumb001:

Lady L
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Glad to see you here! :thumb001:

Vulpix
01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
LOL funny intro title :D. And a nice introduction :).

I recognise your username from Skadi :p.

I agree the left/right paradigm is too simplicistic.

So hi and welcome to the Apricity Cythraul :thumb001:!

Hope you like it here :).

Beorn
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Greetings, Cythraul. Another Englishman is always a good thing. :thumbs up

Freomęg
01-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Thank you all. If any of you recognise me from Skadi but have different usernames here, let me know so I know who's who.

Loki
01-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Welcome Cythraul :)

I remembered you from Skadi, although we didn't get the chance to personally debate/meet over there. Glad to see you found your way here, you are very welcome! :)

Oh by the way, I can assure you the only publicity stunt (http://forums.skadi.net/showpost.php?p=918293&postcount=16) I made on Skadi was by adding the link pic to my signature. ;)

Psychonaut
01-03-2009, 09:29 PM
Howdy!

I was really hoping you'd show up here so I could pick your brain about the way you blend Celtic and Germanic things religiously.

Jägerstaffel
01-03-2009, 10:08 PM
hey there

Freomęg
01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
I was really hoping you'd show up here so I could pick your brain about the way you blend Celtic and Germanic things religiously.
Hey Psychonaut. Mainly it's a case of finding the commonalities between the two and focussing on them above discrepancies. I actually find that's a rather good method when drawing knowledge from any of the world's traditions. Inexplicable commonalities, rather than being wild coincidences, mark the path to wisdom. Take my avatar as an example - the Ouroboros, Jormungandr or Midgard Serpent - recognised in Celtic, Germanic, Egyptian, Greek and even Aboriginal Australian in similar forms.

Likewise, the Germanic Valknut and Celtic trinity symbol, both said to represent the three realms, are comparable:

http://images.faithclipart.com/images/3/1175887062189_17/img_1175887062189_171.jpg
http://members.tripod.com/~kewelristar/images/valknut.gif

Psychonaut
01-03-2009, 11:57 PM
My wife and I have been kicking Celto-Germanic ideas around for a while, since we're both of mixed stock as well. The biggest problem we've run in to isn't with the Gods, who seem to be very comparable, but the festival days, where you've got essentially the same holidays being celebrated at two different times by Celts and Germanics. We certainly wouldn't, for example, want to celebrate Yule and Samhain, like the Wiccans do, but to preserve the integrity of the seasonal system, it seems like you've got to pick one set of holidays or the other.

Loyalist
01-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Great to have you here!

Aemma
01-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Likewise, the Germanic Valknut and Celtic trinity symbol, both said to represent the three realms, are comparable:

http://images.faithclipart.com/images/3/1175887062189_17/img_1175887062189_171.jpg
http://members.tripod.com/~kewelristar/images/valknut.gif

Gid'day Cythraul. It's good to have you here. I'm the same person here as I am on Skadi. :) I have read some of your posts on Skadi and have enjoyed them very much so I'm glad you found your way here. I think your insights will add a lot to the discussions. :)

I think that comparing and contrasting the different traditions would make an awesome thread so if either you or Psychonaut want to start it (or anybody else for that matter), go for it! :) If you wait too long I might just snatch it up though! ;)

As for matters religious and spiritual, I'm pretty much a strict traditionalist Germanic Heathen in my own spiritual practice, though I recognise that many of us (myself included) can and do claim rights to more than one pre-Christian indigenous European spiritual tradition. It's nice to see that kind of expression can be more fully discussed here for those members who adhere to such. :) Like I said, I think that this could become a really interesting thread. :)

As for the similarities between the Germanic Valknut and the Celtic Trinity (which are both gorgeous symbols I might add), my only counter to what you stated would be that the Valknut also has a long tradition of being strictly attached to Odin and the more warrior aspect found in Germanic mythology. Its significance also has much to do with the idea of its power through Odin to fetter (the opponents') and unfetter (his own warriors') the minds of those in battle. Although from my readings thus far, there does not seem to be an element of the Valknut representing the three realms, I personally like the Valknut (and had been wearing one up until my jewelry gave me a rash!:mad:) precisely since it carries more meaning to me with respect to honouring the Norns and the ultimate reality which they represent.

I think I need to read up a bit more on Celtic symbolism and mythology actually. But I'm sure my learning will go much further if good folk like you could post your ideas about the commonalities and dissimilarites. ;)

Cheers for now and again welcome here Cythraul!...Aemma

Freomęg
01-05-2009, 03:05 PM
I think that comparing and contrasting the different traditions would make an awesome thread so if either you or Psychonaut want to start it (or anybody else for that matter), go for it! :)

Done! (http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1105) :thumb001:

HawkR
01-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Hello and welcome:)

Absinthe
01-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Greetings, Cythraul...you're one of my favorite people :)