PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus question

Absinthe
11-07-2009, 11:31 AM
NOD32 or Avast! :icon_ask:

Right now I have avast! but I have a feeling that it slows things down, terribly.

I can't say for sure because this is a new PC and it has only run on Avast! so far...but it looks like it is freezing applications every so often, etc.

People who've tried both, which do you think is better? Should I uninstall avast! and install NOD?

RoyBatty
11-07-2009, 12:12 PM

Right now I have avast! but I have a feeling that it slows things down, terribly.

I can't say for sure because this is a new PC and it has only run on Avast! so far...but it looks like it is freezing applications every so often, etc.

People who've tried both, which do you think is better? Should I uninstall avast! and install NOD?

Eset NOD32 is a firm favourite in the warez community. I don't use AV programs myself (can't be bothered) but my understanding is that this is the one to have.

Arrow Cross
Yes you should. While efficiency is always up to subjective opinion, Nod undeniably takes a lot less of your precious memory. :p

I barely notice on my speed when it runs. And I don't get viruses either.

Ulf

I use avast! and I've noticed that when it does a virus update my computer slows down considerably...

I used AVG for a while but it started to slow my computer up after they updated it, so who knows anymore, I'd stick with avast! until it becomes unbearable. :(

RoyBatty
11-07-2009, 12:16 PM
I use avast! and I've noticed that when it does a virus update my computer slows down considerably... I was thinking of switching to AVG (http://free.avg.com/). Personally I think Norton and McAfee are real resource hogs and do more harm than good as they've never seemed too good at protecting.

I used AVG for a while but it started to slow my computer up after they updated it, so who knows anymore, I'd stick with avast! until it becomes unbearable. :(

I wouldn't use AVG. It can be a bit of a hog. Another thing about it is that it incorrectly ID's a lot of programs as viruses or trojans which aren't. Ie, lots of false "positives".

I suspect that the reason for this is that they're paid $$$ by companies to misidentify certain files during the AVG scanning routine. One example of this is a Windows XP license key retrieval tool being falsely ID'd as a trojan.

RoyBatty
11-07-2009, 12:26 PM
PS Ulf, agree about McAfee and Symantec being resource hogs and bloatware. Wouldn't install ANY of their products unless the idea was to cripple my computer.

Absinthe
11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks people :) So I guess NOD is the best. I will try to find it now :)

Loki
11-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I will give NOD a try as well. My internet service provider issues me with a comprehensive antivirus package, but it seems to crash my computer every so often.

Lahtari
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't use AVG. It can be a bit of a hog. Another thing about it is that it incorrectly ID's a lot of programs as viruses or trojans which aren't. Ie, lots of false "positives".

I suspect that the reason for this is that they're paid $$$ by companies to misidentify certain files during the AVG scanning routine. One example of this is a Windows XP license key retrieval tool being falsely ID'd as a trojan.

I think it just works in the basis of checking what the program is able to do, like listen on incoming ports like trojans do. While that kind of blind detection sure gives lots of false positives, think it from the perspective of a computer illiterate person: "Hey, this works much better than my previous AV software!" :D