PDA

View Full Version : Southern Netherlands, Celts or Teutons?

The Lawspeaker
11-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Southern Netherlands, Celts or Teutons? (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/celt.html)

The Celts are coming, how about you?
With this slogan a lecture was held in "De Brakke Grond" (Amsterdam) from January 17th until March 1st 1997.
It was accompanied with an exhibition about the Celtic-Belgian culture and findings: pottery, urns, swords and coins.
But one could also see (±1950 - 1970) Belgian schoolclass-plates (view images below), on which one could watch the scenes about the "ancient Belgians".
http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/images/menap.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/images/nervi.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/images/oudeb.jpg
Even cartoons about the Celts (Asterix), a pre-plough "eergetouw" and a maquette from a Celtic village were present.
The exhibition supported a series of scientific discussions, in which aspects of the life of the Celts / Teutons (language, trades, coins) were the main topics.
The most important discussion was about "Celts in the Netherlands?" (Jan 25th 1997), where I hoped to find an answer on the question:
"Were there Celts / Gauls or Teutons in the Netherlands in the era before / during Caesar?"
It appeared that one could answer that question from a linguistic and archeologic point of view.
A.Linguistic
Definition of "Celts":
various tribes that speak a Celtic language, which is very different of the ancient Germanic.
Of course there haven't been found any writings in the Low countries before (and after!) the appearence of the Romans in Belgium and the Netherlands.
Just a few post-Roman rune inscriptions. Still, some geographic names and names of leaders / tribes are known.
Because there are so few names known, I'll name them all *) (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/celt.html#%21) :

Novio Magus: Nijmegen (Novio = new?) magus = plain
Eburoni: 'who is protected by the yew-tree', they were a tribe that was spread over nortwest Belgium and the Dutch southwest Eburos = yew = pine tree with poisonous seeds and eatable berries.
Menapii: tribe in Zeeland and northern Flanders
Carvion: the town "Herwen" between Nijmegen and Doetinchem
Texuandri: tribe in Noord-Brabant (after the Eburoni disappeared)
Ambiorix: leader of the Eburoni, who lived ± 54 B.C.E., when the Romans came to the Netherlands. He won as the leader of the Belgae a battle against them...

Julius Caesar wrote in his 'Bello Gallico' that the Eburoni and Texuandri were not Celts.
But he wrote also, that he slaughtered the Eburoni in 50 B.C.E., about which the archaeologists haven't found evidence (yet?).
B.Archaeologic
(Beautiful Celtic artifacts (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/pics.html))
The characteristics of Celts are:

pottery which has striking edges ('French fashion', 'Marne') after 500 B.C.E.
glass bracelets in different colours (after 2nd century B.C.E. in the -Dutch- eastern river area was perhaps even an industry)
coins: not currency but gifts / taxes (the Eburoni made coins to give them as taxes to another tribe, the Adwati)
sling bullets from baked loam (Oss, Weert)
temples: square or multi-angular wooden enclosure, sometimes surrounding a small wooden temple (Empel)
stilistic art: figurative images from , e.g., horses and man
extremely good developed techniques from iron and non-ferrous forgery: gold, silver, bronze, enamel
fortifications: 'oppida'
no political unity, much reciprocal battles
druïds
natural religion, focussed on the elements (water, fire, air)

Remarks from Drs. P. v.d. Broeke (Institute for Prehistory, Leiden):
"There have been noticed resemblances in the Southern Netherlands with the Celtic culture.
At least the first 5 characteristics (see above) have been recognised.
Still we must stay cautious before we draw conclusions.
The Batavians (an immigrated Teutonic tribe) could have imported the sling bullets.
We also lack evidence for the local production of Celtic items such as glass bracelets, swords and pottery in in the Southern Netherlands. [There have been found ± 7000 fragments of glass bracelets near Nijmegen....ed. (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/personal.html)]
On the other side the main part of the Southern Netherlands show strong cultural resemblances with the land north of the Rhine, eg. by the manufacturing of buildings and the life in non-fortified villages. [Prof. N. Roymans described a fortification or something that looked like it in his book "Opgravingen in de Molenakker te Weert", 1995... ed. (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/personal.html)]
Also from Caesars books one can conclude that the Southern Netherlands had an ambiguous position."
Remarks from dr. P. Schrijver (Rijksuniversiteit Leiden): "One can't stop at the question Celtic or Teutonic. There are many indications that there were also other languages spoken in that area at that time than just Celtic, Teutonic or even Indo-European.
Examples to state that opinion are the words: Friezen, leeuwerik en hoofd." (="Frisians", "lark", "head")
Prof. N. Roymans already launched the discussion in 1992 by stating: "One may ask if that difference (Celtic or Teutonic) was relevant for the people then. It is doubtful if an inhabitant of the Southern Netherlands could / would describe himself being a Celt or Teuton. [Caesar said one did....ed. (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/personal.html)] These words are, by the way, Latin and Greek...
By intensive trading with France, the middle-Rhine area and North-Germany there was a political, economical and cultural influence on the Netherlands."
Maybe we can better speak of a Gallo-Teutonic culture preceeding the Gallo-Roman culture? For the time being, until newer evidence is found...
*) !! Almost all the geographic names in the Southern Netherlands have a Teutonic origine !! See map below

http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/images/V-toponiemen.jpg

The green dots are Teuton toponyms, the red dots are Celtic
Lecture "The Celts in the Netherlands"

By mrs. Diepenveen (Univ. Amsterdam, April, 3rd 1998)
The lecture started with a great promise. She would try to show the different aspects from the questions:
Were there ever Celts in the Netherlands?
Who were they and when and where did they live? A) Historical (texts from Greek and Romans, inscriptions)
According to the Greek writers Herodotus and Hecatus "Keltoi" lived from the Danube until the Pyrenees.
By that name, "Keltoi", they meant "barbarians", that is, "non-Greeks".
The Celts conquered Rome (390 B.C.E.) and threatened Delphi (Greece, 279 B.C.E.)
And both Alexander the Great (335 B.C.E.) and Dionysius from Syracuse (Southern Italy) hired Celtic warriors for their armies. When Alexander the Great asked what they were frightened for their leader answered "...that the heaven will fall upon our heads!"
Later a Celtic tribe conquered Central Turkey where they continued to live as "Galatae".
But who were the "Celts"?
The Greek write about them, especially to emphasize the differences between them and the "civilised" Greek.

Celts: Greek: drink a lot of, pure, wine dilute the wine with water will easily trade a slave for a barrel wine think wine is more valuable than slaves look savage and furious with chalk in their hair and fight naked with just a torque (neck-ornament) look civilised with their beautiful armour are quickly furious with others; they fight easily with their clansmen, even for the best place at the table
are civilised and behave educated
http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/images/brennus.gif
Caesar noticed (50 B.C.E.) also other cultural facts. There is a lot of superstition, there are druids and prophets who become of importance after an education of 20 years...
Lucanus (1st century B.C.E.) wrote about their gods. The most important were: Teutates, Taranis, Esus, Lugh, Cernunno(s), Sucellus en Dagda.
Also threeheaded godesses ("Matronae") were present. In the Netherlands there were also Matronae. In Zealand many statues of the goddess "Nehalennia" have been found. And Nehalennia is a Celtic name.
An inscription of the name "magesanus" has also been found, against the Latin "magusanus"...
But the Celtic territory was large and in that area there were differences as well as resemblances, as well in language as in belief and culture.
Gods (male as well as female) were named and related to rivers (rhena-Rine), mountains, woods (arduenna-Ardennes), etc.
Sanctuaries were square, open air, places with a tree or one or more poles on it with maybe sculls on them. An example is the Temple of Empel near Den Bosch.
That temple has officially been build in the 1st century C.E., in stone (by Romans and/or Batavians (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/batavians.html)) but (according to the archaeologists) had its origin in the 2nd century B.C.E.!
She pointed out, that our culture has its roots in the prehistory and one has to see the bigger image, the total impression of that time. And in the same time remain aware that we're looking back with 20th century eyes at cultures where completely different values and cultures ruled. There are differences, but also resemblances (between our time and theirs).
Celtic holidays, about 500 B.C.E.
November, 1st: samain / samhain = Celtic newyear, a time of insecurity, the ghosts of the dead wander around (Hallowe'en!)
February, 1st: imbolc = this day has something to do with the first milk
May, 1st: beltain / beltane = a new start, young cattle is chased (as a sort of purification) through the smoke of fires, and then cows are put to grass.
August, 1st: lughnasad = festivity in honour of Lugh, the God of the sun.
Note: these dates are highly questionable, because for example the month "August" didn't exist back then!
B) Language
The source of the Celtic language is Indo-European, which origines lay in Mesopotamia (Iraque).
The remainings of the Celtic language are present as far as North-Western Europe.
The theory about the spreading of that language is partly based on archaeological findings [like inscriptions...ed. (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/personal.html)] But one has to be careful with that, because it's dangerous to link a Celtic sword with Celtic as a language. Maybe the sword arrived at its destiny where there were no Celts at all...
It's general accepted, that the geographical source of the Celts lays in Central Europe: East France, Swiss (La Tène) and Austria (Hallstatt)
Celtic characteristics after findings, by era (Hallstatt A and B are in the Netherlands in the Late Bronze Age)
700 B.C.E. ("Hallstatt C") : 4-wheeled wagon graves, only men, in barrows (Oss, Wijchen)
600 B.C.E. ("Hallstatt D") : graves around fortifications / oppida in very large barrows, big wooden grave chambers, 4-wheeled wagons, also women. No swords, but daggers. (Heuneburg- S-Germany, "princess of Vix"- France, no examples from the NL...H.)
450 B.C.E. ("La Tène A") : Marne- Moselle area: good, depictive art, 2- wheeled chariots (Nijmegen)
350 B.C.E. ("La Tène B") : (not discussed)
250 B.C.E. ("La Tène C") : ("middle- La Tène") (not discussed)
150 B.C.E. ("La Tène D") : tools are given as grave-goods
(Watch pictures from Celtic Gods, grave goods and culture) (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/gpics.html)
Remarks by Mrs. Diepenveen:
-gravegoods were ALWAYS used before there're deposited [sometimes even the gravegoods were worn down... ed. (http://www.angelfire.com/me/ik/personal.html)]
-imported goods were exclusively meant for the preparation and pooring of drinks (wine?) imported from perhaps Roman or Greek settlements. There are many examples from the Netherlands: large bronze buckets / situlae from Oss, Meppen, Overasselt, Rhenen, Baarlo, Ede, etc.
-the length of the people was about 1.50 m, 1.70 m, until about 1.80 m.
-all knowledge is based on graves. The Celtic culture was spread all over Europe; so their typical rectangular shields were used all over Europe.
Conclusions
There are resemblances between the Dutch culture then and the Celts:
-qua language
-qua culture
-qua belief
"But are these THE Celts? I don't think so" according to mrs Diepenveen.
I asked her for her comment on a statement from drs. P.v.d.Broeke (Instituut voor Prehistorie, Leiden):
Statement (watch lecture above):
Resemblances with Celtic culture have been found in the Southern Netherlands. Recognised are:

pottery which has striking edges ('French fashion', 'Marne') after 500 B.C.E.
glass bracelets in different colours (after 2nd century B.C.E. in the -Dutch- eastern river area was perhaps even an industry and in Oss 34 fragments in 4 different colours)
coins: not currency but gifts / taxes (the Eburoni made coins to give them as taxes to another tribe, the Adwati- 810 coins have been found near Empel alone- watch image below)
sling bullets from baked loam (Oss, Weert)
temples: square or multi-angular wooden enclosure, sometimes surrounding a small wooden temple (Empel)

Remarks from Mrs. Diepenveen:
These "Celtic" findings can't be called "Celtic". Everyone had contact with everyone, it could all have been imported.
There were also differences with the Celts, like the ways people build houses. And don't forget: "language area" is something else than "culture area".
Look, for example, at the Frisian dialects in England and Norway. Those "Frisians" don't have the same culture as "our" Frisians.
And so the lecture ended, unfortunately there was to little time to continue.
I think it's a pity still a few questions remain unanswered:

Did traders import the sling bullets (Oss, Weert, Wijchen, Houten)?
Where are the boarders from the -generally accepted- Celtic geographical source as there have been found so much more Celtic graves at the boarders of Central Europe?
Why did she emphase "exclusively drinking goods were imported" while she later said "everything could have been imported"?

It is fine to handle and interprete facts very careful. But personally, my confusion about "Celts in the Netherlands" has just grown by this lecture by the many facts that haven't been explained.
The last word has definitely not been said yet about this subject and I hope during a coming lecture there will be more time to sought things out.
Mrs. Diepenveen adviced the following book where she partly based her lecture on: De Kelten, T. Powell, 1980

I am not sure what to think about it but perhaps interesting enough to post.
If I look at the spelling and linguistic errors it is clearly not professional but ehh.

The Black Prince
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah bad text, very rommelig (messy).

Anyway the way we regard the pre-Roman people from the Southern Netherlands and adjacent Belgium is still matter of debate. Concerning artefacts they fall fully within the La Tène culture and the Romans saw them as Gallic (though not as Kelts, this they reserved for the people between the Narbonne, the Seine and west of Dacia).
However as Caesar noted down in the Bello Gallica, some Belgic tribes insisted that they hailed from north of the Rhine and were Germani not Galli. Nevertheless Caesar made the Rhine the border between Gallics and Germanics.

Some scholars created a 'Nordwestblock' culture, distinct as well from the Germanic as Keltic world. They believe those people had their own identity but since they didn't wrote anything down, they have been forgotten in history and were eventually absorbed by either Gallo-Roman or Germanic peoples.

Personally I think of a more transitional pattern and not a distinct group. In those days the people where loyal to their village community and communicated/intermarried/exchanged goods with nearby villages. Creating a mostly transitional pattern of language and culture, unless this transition was barred by natural causes (peatlands, mountain ridges, dense woods, sea). In this case the continental Belgae wether they saw themself as related with the southern living Celtae or the northern living Germani should best be described as Celto-Germanic or Germanokelten as the German speaking countries do.

asulf
11-19-2009, 10:06 AM
Even if it is proved that the Batavia have been the ancestors of current Dutchman
I think for me, it is certainly an important component of which, to my eyes a Germanic source proved

The Batavia (or Batavorum) is one of the most ancient Germanic peoples. Separated very early from that of the Chatti they seem to have always maintained, if not custody of Germany, the very heart of "Braves!
Proud and brave the Batavians have undoubtedly inherited the spirit of freedom and resistance of the Chatti and have developed their own culture 'island dishes' due to their particular territory. > As the region's friendly was originally located at the mouth of the Rhine, between its two arms to the sea which then form the place called "Insula Batavorum" Island Batavia.
A place very well preserved and protected between two large branches of the Rhine with a strategic haven for the people and the river offers a way to move very fast and far to trade or war. Besides, if one arm is still called the Rhine, the other was formerly called Vahal, Waal, today! (This is reminiscent of the Valhalla). If their country was so entrenched and little wide, they exceeded the boundaries probably not in the Netherlands today, but rather in Belgian Gaul.
When Rome discovered their country they named the Batavia ... and they named the capital Batavia, Batavodorum.

Chronicles Batavians

-50? : First confrontation and annexation by Rome in the "Gallic Wars".
-16: Participate in Foedus the attack against the Cherusci Drusus and cats.
11: Turning the Weser's Orange ambushed the vengeful Cherusci.
12: Period of the most successful agreement with Rome.
60/61: Participating in the campaign Roman General Suetonius Paulinus against the Celts in England today.
69: Revolt of Batavia Gaius Julius Civilis and his people then federated in Rome under the brief reign of the Emperor Aulus Vitellius.
70: The Emperor Vespasian to crush the revolt by Civilis his Legion.
End 1st Century: Batavodorum capital, Batavia, is known Ulpia Novomagus under Emperor Trajan, which reinforces the Foedus and promotes peace.
250: Annexed gradually by the Franks that they confuse.

Various sources then blend the origins of Batavia with the Germans of the Rhine but also make it an ancient people Chatti which they are pursuing separate their migration along the river to its mouth.
From there they were at their peak, a familiar location to promote their development, their locations and their culture especially erudite. But came as we saw the arrival of the Romans. Their destiny was forever changed and they were among the first to pass a Foedus peace, which consisted in its origin to be exempted from tribute except that their warriors participating in the Roman countryside.

The Legend of "Braves"

There are few traces of the passage of Caesar and the annexation of Batavia except a particular episode of "Gallic War" when the Batavian led by their leader then Cariovalde against their eternal enemies, the Cherusci. These succeed in a maneuver to separate the Romans. The Batavian resistance fought so incredible as hearsay. Finally Cariovalde rushed through the lines Cherusci with his horse and ends up riddled with dozens of arrows!
His sacrifice was not in vain because he restored courage to the last Batavians who were saved by the arrival of Roman legions having found time, winning is perhaps their legendary nickname Braves ...

Erik
01-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I can accept that in Ardennes Celtic tribes have lived. But see the name of river of
Schelde. This is a typically germanic name. So this is a prove that Germanic tribes have
lived in south of Netherlands and Belgium from 800 BC.

There are a lot of riddles of about the Belgae who according to Ceasar came from the other side of Rhine. Archaelogists could not discover any difference between the culture westor east of the Rhine. But why nobody did thougt that Belgae came from the north
of the Rhine (North of Netherlands)?

Aragorn
01-11-2010, 10:46 PM
A theory of claims I hear on various forums: Flemish and Southern Dutch are Germanic (=Dutch) speaking Celts.

What you think about that claim?

The Lawspeaker
01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
That it is interesting enough to see it taken through scientific testing. From my own observation: Southerners are usually somewhat smaller and darker then the Dutch of the North and East.

Erik
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
But the Celts used to have fair hair and blue eyes. Some linguists made
conclusions about the presence of Celts in north of the Netherlands,
because a lot of place-names ended on apa ( a disputed celtic word
for water). But in Icelandic places there exist apa places names too.
What do you think about the name of river Schelde? Names of rivers and
mountains are much older than place names. Maybe the name of Schelde
is a prove for the presence of Germanic tribes in south of Netherlands of
Belgium 1000 BC! Perhaps Belgium was home land of the Germanics.

Jarl
01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Here is a good pdf on Celts and Germanics:

http://www.davidkfaux.org/Cimbri-Chronology.pdf

From the article it seems that ancient Belgica was primarily inhabited by Gaulish/Celtic tribes like Belgae, Eburones, Aduatuci. It is not really clear, however, the names of their chieftains are Celtic, not Germanic. Additionally Celtic names were common among some tribes inhabiting Jutland and its vicinity - the Teutons and Cimbri.

For Eburones (often identified with Ambrones) we've got Ambiorix.

For Cimbri, all the known chieftains had Celtic names - Boiorix (King
of the Celtic Boii tribe of Italy and Bohemia), Gaesorix (King of the Gaesatae, Rhone Valley Celts from Gaul; often recorded as Celtic mercenary warriors), and Lugius (afterthe Celtic god Lugh).

For Teutones, we've got Teutobod.

Linguistic testimony given by Pliny the Elder indicates that Cimbri spoke a P-Celtic language, similar to the Welsh/Gaulish. Apparently, the sole names - Teutones and Cimbri have Celtic etymology.

Another good source:

http://books.google.com/books?id=f899xH_quaMC&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=Teutones+Celtic+names&source=bl&ots=p_XxbiCz0M&sig=zRlGHExSfme1fanqzV0Yejy2Gck&hl=en&ei=LGNMS4WcItL0_Aat8bCgDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Teutones%20Celtic%20names&f=false

Brännvin
01-12-2010, 07:18 PM
Old news but interesting also;

Ancient Celtic coin cache found in Netherlands (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27701894/)

http://i.livescience.com/images/081114-ap-celtic-coins-02.jpg

A hobbyist with a metal detector has found a cache of ancient Celtic and Germanic coins in a cornfield in the southern city of Maastricht. The city says the trove of 39 gold and 70 silver coins are dated to the middle of the first century B.C.

Thulsa Doom
01-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Here is a good pdf on Celts and Germanics:

http://www.davidkfaux.org/Cimbri-Chronology.pdf

From the article it seems that ancient Belgica was primarily inhabited by Gaulish/Celtic tribes like Belgae, Eburones, Aduatuci. It is not really clear, however, the names of their chieftains are Celtic, not Germanic. Additionally Celtic names were common among some tribes inhabiting Jutland and its vicinity - the Teutons and Cimbri.

For Eburones (often identified with Ambrones) we've got Ambiorix.

of the Celtic Boii tribe of Italy and Bohemia), Gaesorix (King of the Gaesatae, Rhone Valley Celts from Gaul; often recorded as Celtic mercenary warriors), and Lugius (afterthe Celtic god Lugh).

Linguistic testimony given by Pliny the Elder indicates that Cimbri spoke a P-Celtic language, similar to the Welsh/Gaulish. Apparently, the sole names - Teutones and Cimbri have Celtic etymology.

Another good source:

http://books.google.com/books?id=f899xH_quaMC&pg=PA196&lpg=PA196&dq=Teutones+Celtic+names&source=bl&ots=p_XxbiCz0M&sig=zRlGHExSfme1fanqzV0Yejy2Gck&hl=en&ei=LGNMS4WcItL0_Aat8bCgDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CBMQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=Teutones%20Celtic%20names&f=false

So, the Danes are a bunch of whiny Celts originally. :rolleyes2: I had my suspicions.;) But apart from that I think the author of the pdf got it wrong.

This is what I think happened in the process of peopling the region.

Flandern was originally inhabited by hunter gatherers like the rest of Europe and then 6-7 thousand year ago the Neolithic people came along from the southeast. These R1b people was a non IE group starting off from somewhere in the Danube basin. They had likely picked up the art of Agriculture from its birthplace in Asia Minor. And since agriculture is a completely new order, most people in Western Europe originate from them.

The neolithic process didn´t have the same success in the northeastern part of Europe most likely due to the harsher climate. In that Eastern part of Europe the Indo-European population finally under the Corded Ware culture got their act together and started to expand. The Proto-Celts went north and expanded into todays Denmark and Northern Germany and turned into Celts. The Proto-Germans went along the eastern cost of the Baltic and into Central Scandinavia and became Germanic speakers.

Both the Celts and the Germanics flourished under the following Bronze Age and started to expand. And since there is an axiom in history that migration strives for a better conditions, they moved primarily to the south and west.
So the Celts in the Flanders and Britain came the same way and with the same methods as the Anglo-Saxons did.:) History tends to repeat it selves.

Finally early on in the Nordic Iron Age the Germanics pushed out the Celts from the North, and the Danes and Jutes took over Denmark and from there the rest of the North Sea Coasts.

Jarl
01-13-2010, 12:21 PM
So, the Danes are a bunch of whiny Celts originally. :rolleyes2: I had my suspicions.;) But apart from that I think the author of the pdf got it wrong.

The Danes are a fairly recent intruders to Jutland. They arrived there by IV-Vth century AD, at the end of antiquity, displacing the Jutes and Angles, who in turn had displaced the Heruli. Before the Heruli, in ancient times, Jutland was known as the "Cimbrian Peninsula". As such it is described in the works of Ptolemy. Although already in the times of Tacitus (Ist AD) their power and numbers have diwindled away.

Danes originally inhabited most likely Skane. By the time they took over Zeeland, and then Jutland, these were already germanised lands with a long tradition of Germanic settlement. So I don't think the author claims that modern Danes are Celts. Elsewise, I agree with your post.

Freomæg
01-13-2010, 03:13 PM
From my own observation: Southerners are usually somewhat smaller and darker then the Dutch of the North and East.
May be true. My extended family in Southern Holland are all fairly 'dark'. My Opa is tall with black hair and blue eyes and my Oma fairly short with brown hair and brown eyes - this is mostly where I get my dark hair and eyes from. But beyond that, my Dutch aunties are both married to quite 'dark' Dutchmen. Culturally, they're all very Dutch, very Germanic, though I think one of my Uncles-in-law has some recent French blood.

But the Celts used to have fair hair and blue eyes.
I don't think that was unanimous. I'm fairly sure there's not even evidence to suggest that even the members of Germanic tribes were all light-pigmented.

But in Icelandic places there exist apa places names too.
Iceland is believed to have first been settled by Irish/Scottish Monks, before the Norse.

Osweo
01-13-2010, 03:41 PM
That it is interesting enough to see it taken through scientific testing. From my own observation: Southerners are usually somewhat smaller and darker then the Dutch of the North and East.
There's more southerner in them, clearly, as we should expect, them living more to the south. :p But I would argue from the linguistics that the Germanic element that swarmed over with the Franks and others really did have a massive demographic impact here, in terms of sheer numbers.

Hmm, if every transRhenish barbarian took a Gallo-Roman concubine, if half of them had brought their own wives, if the local peasantry went into serious decline following disruption of agriculture by war and immigration of outsiders hungry for land, wouldn't we get much the same result?

But the Celts used to have fair hair and blue eyes.
I doubt any population ever had solely such features. The anthropological state of the Rhine valley on the eve of the collapse of the Roman power was a LONG way chronologically, geographically and ethnoculturally from the original state of the Celts on their first appearance.

Maybe the name of Schelde
is a prove for the presence of Germanic tribes in south of Netherlands of
Belgium 1000 BC!
I am sceptical. Do you have any information to share on this hydronym? What are the earliest forms attested? What etymologies have respectable linguists offered?

For Eburones (often identified with Ambrones)
A highly unnecessary identification. Eburones translates very well as 'Men of the Yew'. Such yew-names are very common across the Celtic world, in Ireland, Gaul, and Britain.

of the Celtic Boii tribe of Italy and Bohemia), Gaesorix (King of the Gaesatae,
THere are several ways to explain this undeniable phenomenon, without going too 'Celtomaniac' as too many are very apt to do.
These kings had fought through much Gaulish territory, probably picking up a local nickname. The ROmans recorded the names, probably heard through Gallic translators.
Gaul was a prestigious culture to these northerners, not having yet found their own sense of self in the wider world, so they may voluntarily have borne Celtic names, as many in Europe now bear English (American rather :rage) names.
Names can be translated too, especially in that early period. THe structure of Germanic and Celtic names is very similar, almost identical, indeed. And neighbouring peoples often do it as a matter of course. Everyone knew that Sean is John in the Gaelic word, and wrote that in Anglophone documents.

Not a world away from the ancestor of Germanic Thibaud/Theodbald...

Flandern was originally inhabited by hunter gatherers like the rest of Europe and then 6-7 thousand year ago the Neolithic people came along from the southeast. These R1b people was a non IE group starting off from somewhere in the Danube basin.
The distribution of R1b and its near universality in regions far to the west of Europe, where older populations have survived best, point to that haplogroup being FAR older. :nono:

They had likely picked up the art of Agriculture from its birthplace in Asia Minor. And since agriculture is a completely new order, most people in Western Europe originate from them.
You need to study the intermediate phase. Agriculturalists from Asia Minor probably got as far as Serbia and Hungary, but then a considerable cultural diffusion seems to be attested... Every step taken from the Zagros mountains was probably accompanied by a degree of assimilation of the natives.
And IE seems more or less an intruder in Anatolia, not autochthonous since the Neolithic Revolution. The Danubian Urheimat theory fits best.

The neolithic process didn´t have the same success in the northeastern part of Europe most likely due to the harsher climate.
It was easily as shocking a transition in the Linearbandkeramik area. Your model for the Northeast works in the North and Northwest too.

The Proto-Celts went north and expanded into todays Denmark and Northern Germany and turned into Celts.
There is NO evidence for this whatsoever.

Finally early on in the Nordic Iron Age the Germanics pushed out the Celts from the North,
You forget the existence of intermediate groups, still 'neither/nor' from a linguistic point of view. In the earlier period, these will have been all over the place.

Jarl
01-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Indeed. This is disputable. On one hand we have some hydronyms, the chieftains, and some Celtic tribal names, on the other hand Caesar's relations that some of the Belgica tribes were Germanic. However, it is doubtful, that Casear meant it in the ethnic sense. Tacitus, writing some time afterwards, had problems with Venedi, Bastarnae and Fenni - all of whom he was considering somewhat Germanic. After some hesitation, he calssified Venedi as Germanic because they walk on foot, wear shields and live in houses - in contrast to Sarmatians. Aesti (the Balts) were Germanic according to him.

Then we've got this:

There are few direct testimonies to the language of the Cimbri: Referring to the Northern Ocean (the Baltic or the North Sea), Pliny the Elder states:[15] "Philemon says that it is called Morimarusa, i.e. the Dead Sea, by the Cimbri, until the promontory of Rubea, and after that Cronium." The words for "sea" and "dead" are muir and marbh in Irish and môr and marw in Welsh.[16] The same word for "sea" is also known from Germanic, but with an a (*mari-), whereas a cognate of marbh is unknown in all dialects of Germanic.[17] Yet, given that Pliny had not had the word directly from a Cimbric informant, it cannot be ruled out that the word is in fact Gaulish instead.[18]

Of course we might assume it's been all - names of the chieftains, name of sea -"celticised" by the Celtic informers of the Romans. However, is there any credible evidence for that? Here is a relevant article on the problem:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpstedt-Nienburger_Gruppe

In the conclusion there is some vague mention of the "intermediate" etnicities.

Osweo
01-14-2010, 01:42 AM
Indeed. This is disputable. On one hand we have some hydronyms, the chieftains, and some Celtic tribal names, on the other hand Caesar's relations that some of the Belgica tribes were Germanic.
Grrr!! You made me look...

De Bello Gallico 2.IV. the greater part of the Belgae were sprung, from the Germans, and that having crossed the Rhine at an early period, they had settled there, on account of the fertility of the country, and had driven out the Gauls who inhabited those regions;
Here, 'Germans' appears to be a purely geographic term, transrhenish Celts apparently being the peoples in question, if defined linguistically.

and that they were the only people who, in the memory of our fathers, when all Gaul was overrun, had prevented the Teutones and the Cimbri from entering their territories;
Ah, but now we see some feeling of real distinction between these Belgae and the Teutones/Cimbri migrants...

Bellovaci ... Suessiones ... Nervii, ... Atrebates ... Ambiani, ... Morini, ... Menapii, ... Caleti, ... Velocasses ... Veromandui ...
Good Celtic names there. I can even translate three, to some extent. Caleti - hard ones, Morini - Seamen, Veromandui - the second element seems to be pony (as in Cartimandua, Manduessedum...)...

the Condrusi, the Eburones, the Caeraesi, the Paemani, who are called by the common name of Germans
This is rather more obscure. Eburones seems solidly Celtic a name, but the remainder I'm less sure about. They could of course have left the right bank more recently than the others dealt with above.

The following is a little clearer:

2.XXIX. ... the Aduatuci, ... were descended from the Cimbri and Teutones, who, when they were marching into our province and Italy, having deposited on this side the river Rhine such of their baggage-trains as they could not drive or convey with them, left 6,000 of their men as a guard and defense for them. These having, after the destruction of their countrymen, been harassed for many years by their neighbors, while one time they waged war offensively, and at another resisted it when waged against them, concluded a peace with the consent of all, and chose this place as their settlement.
A straightforward description of a real remembered ethnic difference here.

However, it is doubtful, that Casear meant it in the ethnic sense.
From the above, it seems to me mostly geographical with perhaps shades of cultural difference too from their fellow Celtic speaking neighbours in the west, except in the case of the Aduatuci.

Tacitus, writing some time afterwards, had problems with Venedi, Bastarnae and Fenni - all of whom he was considering somewhat Germanic. After some hesitation, he calssified Venedi as Germanic because they walk on foot, wear shields and live in houses - in contrast to Sarmatians. Aesti (the Balts) were Germanic according to him.
It's clear enough that they were recogniseably 'strange' even to Tacitus. He just means that they did not belong to any other known people from more southern lands.

There are few direct testimonies to the language of the Cimbri: Referring to the Northern Ocean (the Baltic or the North Sea), Pliny the Elder states:[15] "Philemon says that it is called Morimarusa, i.e. the Dead Sea, by the Cimbri, until the promontory of Rubea, and after that Cronium." The words for "sea" and "dead" are muir and marbh in Irish and môr and marw in Welsh.[16]
The fact that the author only gives MODERN Celtic terms, when attested older forms are easily available, never mind the reliably reconstructed Common Celtic ancestor of them, doesn't bode well for his scholarship...

The same word for "sea" is also known from Germanic, but with an a (*mari-), whereas a cognate of marbh is unknown in all dialects of Germanic.[17]
Murder?

Yet, given that Pliny had not had the word directly from a Cimbric informant, it cannot be ruled out that the word is in fact Gaulish instead.[18]
But we could also investigate the possibility of a Baltic name, no?
Would 'Morimarusa' be a possible rendition of a Prussian or East Baltic name?

I do see it as Celtic myself, actually, but see no reason for it to prove anything other than basic geographical knowledge on the part of the Gauls.
More relevant from Tacitus is this;

The name Germany, on the other hand, they say, is modern and newly introduced, from the fact that the tribes which first crossed the Rhine and drove out the Gauls, and are now called Tungrians, were then called Germans. Thus what was the name of a tribe, and not of a race, gradually prevailed, till all called themselves by this self-invented name of Germans, which the conquerors had first employed to inspire terror.
The Tungrii seem Celtic in name again, I'd say...

Westfalen
01-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I've always noticed the southern people are darker and have seen typical Limburgians for example you hardly find lookalikes of them in the North, while in Flanders and Brabant there are lots of them.

It might also have contributed that the Romans occupied the south for many years and never got into the north, where I live the Romans have never been. They were pushed back by what I would call the proto-Saxons with their leader Hermann the Cherusk.

Almost the same story for Charlemagne, they occupied the south for ages before they defeated/compromised the north, and it always kept slightly autonomical, you can notice that too in the Dutch languages/dialects and character.

On the other hand, the South had a better infrastructure and more trading routes, so they met more "darker" tribes and the more rural north didn't get much of these southern genes in it's gene-pool. The north had lots of natural borders, unpassable terrain, the south had big rivers so travelling was easiër. Also most of the northern tribes came from the Jutland-area and established their empires far into the Netherlands, so if there were any Celts in the northern part they either fled or were pushed out or assimilated in low numbers.

They didn't join or get much of the Great Migrations, but the south did:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/50/Voelkerwanderungkarte.png

45 BC:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Map_Gallia_Tribes_Towns.png

Map of the old Celtic area (red):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Celtes-carte.PNG

Erik
01-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Caesar metioned that the Germanic Belgae came from the other side of the Rhine.
It means for the scholars east of the Rhine. Perhaps he also meant north of the Rhine.
Perhaps the Belgae used to live north of the Rhine (Netherlands) and came about 100 BC
in actual Belgium?

The Black Prince
02-08-2010, 05:20 PM
It might also have contributed that the Romans occupied the south for many years and never got into the north, where I live the Romans have never been. They were pushed back by what I would call the proto-Saxons with their leader Hermann the Cherusk.
Well I wouldn't put it like they never got in the north. To be exactly they did made some of the tribes north of the river to pay taxes. The battle of Baduhenna occurred when the Frisii revolted to the 'ignorant' taxraise of Ollennius.

Second there have been found inscribed pieces of wood in the northern Netherlands which state the selling of cows, those pieces came from archaeological levels dated to the Roman period next to finds of Roman pottery. They were inscribed with Latin, meaning that people more as 100km north of the Rhine sold cattle to the Romans. And thirdly a certain number (several cohorts) of Frisii and Tubantii worked as auxiliarrii for the Romans in Britain.

The Romans didn't extend their border to the Elbe because of Herman as you stated right, but they where still a force to be reckoned (and traded) with in the north.

Almost the same story for Charlemagne, they occupied the south for ages before they defeated/compromised the north, and it always kept slightly autonomical, you can notice that too in the Dutch languages/dialects and character.
True, but the Franks never kept much of their own identity and after the death of Charlemagne the unity within the Frankish empire got quickly worse and eventually was lost after a few generations.

Also most of the northern tribes came from the Jutland-area and established their empires far into the Netherlands, so if there were any Celts in the northern part they either fled or were pushed out or assimilated in low numbers.

True and that is also my idea.:)

The Black Prince
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Funny I recently said the same to Asega during a conversation about the same subject, the Keltic or Latin names of Ancient Germans in the Roman period.:D
(Though in the later Roman period the names suddenly do become Germanic)

These kings had fought through much Gaulish territory, probably picking up a local nickname. The ROmans recorded the names, probably heard through Gallic translators.
I'm to lazy to look it up in Caesar's Bello Gallico, but I can recall some phrases in which he mentions the usage of Gallic scouts to guide his legions and to provide advice about the groups they encountered.[/quote]

Gaul was a prestigious culture to these northerners, not having yet found their own sense of self in the wider world, so they may voluntarily have borne Celtic names, as many in Europe now bear English (American rather ) names. Just look at the Dutch kids with an English (or Scandinavian) firstname.
f.i. in the year 2000 these twenty were the most popular in the Netherlands:

Thomas
Max
Tim
Daan
Lars
Niels
Tom
Kevin
Rick
Nick
Bram
Mike
Jesse
Sander
Ruben
Thijs
Jan
Luuk
Bas
Johannes

Names can be translated too, especially in that early period. THe structure of Germanic and Celtic names is very similar, almost identical, indeed. And neighbouring peoples often do it as a matter of course. Everyone knew that Sean is John in the Gaelic word, and wrote that in Anglophone documents
Like the Native North-American chiefs I guess. In the late 19th century sources they are only mentioned by Americans with their English or Spanish translated names or nicknames (e.g. Black Kettle, Vittorio, Geronimo, Red Cloud, Crazy Horse, Sitting Bull, etc.)

Erik
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Caesar wrote that Belgica was invaded by the Germanics, who came from the
other side of the Rhine. Why is it not possible that these Germanic tribes came
from the north of the Rhine (Netherlands) before Caesar's arrival?

The Black Prince
02-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Caesar wrote that Belgica was invaded by the Germanics, who came from the other side of the Rhine. Why is it not possible that these Germanic tribes came from the north of the Rhine (Netherlands) before Caesar's arrival?
Huh, what do you mean?

Caesar wrote that they came from the other side of the Rhine to Belgica.. than who stated (according to you) that they could not have come from the north of the Rhine (as/instead from the east)?

Erik
02-17-2010, 09:10 PM
But the other side also can mean: north of the Rhine. North of Rhine
Germanic tribes always have lived there. Why did the Germanic Belgae
not cross the Rhine from the north like the Franks about 350 AD?

Albion
04-27-2011, 04:04 PM
The Belgae of the Southern Netherlands and Flanders would have probably been Germanics with heavy Celtic influence. The area would have been a sort of frontier zone of mixing between the two groups.
I still hold my view that the Northern section of the Belgae were predominantly Germanic.

Osweo
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM
The Belgae of the Southern Netherlands and Flanders would have probably been Germanics with heavy Celtic influence. The area would have been a sort of frontier zone of mixing between the two groups.
I still hold my view that the Northern section of the Belgae were predominantly Germanic.

Um... WHY?!? :confused:

The tribal names are solidly Celtic. :shrug:

Albion
04-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Um... WHY?!? :confused:

The tribal names are solidly Celtic. :shrug:

Tribal names can point to an elite, as with Normandy. I'm more concerned with material culture. If it points to Celts then that's proof enough.

Osweo
04-30-2011, 02:13 AM
Sigh...... These are the same Belgae who came to southern Britain. There is NOTHING to indicate Germanicness in them.

The Grimm shift responsible for the appearance of the most recent common ancestor to ALL Germanic languages is dated to just before the time of Christ, near enough. There isn't time for a fully fledged Germanic language to have reached the western Rhineland by the time you're talking about.

JeanBaMac
09-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Germanic languages probably did not appear before the Nordic Bronze Age (1800-500 BCE). Proto-Germanic language probably developed as a blend of two branches of Indo-European languages, namely the Proto-Balto-Slavic language of the Corded-Ware culture (R1a-Z283) and the later arrival of Proto-Italo-Celto-Germanic people from the Unetice culture (R1b-L11). This is supported by the fact that Germanic people are a R1a-R1b hybrid, that these two haplogroups came via separate routes at different times, and that Proto-Germanic language is closest to Proto-Italo-Celtic, but also shares similarities with Proto-Slavic.
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1a_Y-DNA.shtml

Äijä
09-09-2014, 05:12 AM
Germanic languages probably did not appear before the Nordic Bronze Age (1800-500 BCE). Proto-Germanic language probably developed as a blend of two branches of Indo-European languages, namely the Proto-Balto-Slavic language of the Corded-Ware culture (R1a-Z283) and the later arrival of Proto-Italo-Celto-Germanic people from the Unetice culture (R1b-L11). This is supported by the fact that Germanic people are a R1a-R1b hybrid, that these two haplogroups came via separate routes at different times, and that Proto-Germanic language is closest to Proto-Italo-Celtic, but also shares similarities with Proto-Slavic.
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_R1a_Y-DNA.shtml

This theory has just been questioned by linguists, it does not explain why Baltic Finnic is the closest contact language for Germanic, not Baltic, Slavic or Celtic.

Hevo
09-09-2014, 12:19 PM
A great part of the Netherlands(Some historians/archaeologists even claim that Coastal Netherlands was almost deserted after many floods etc) was sparsely populated before the Germanic migrations of Saxons/Frisians/Franks. They had a huge genetic impact @the gnome of the Dutch people although there is genetically a significant difference between the Southern and Northern regions. So i don't think that Southern Dutch people are ''Germanic speaking Celts''.

FeederOfRavens
09-09-2014, 12:38 PM
South Dutch are mostly Germanic(frankish) and look the part too.

Hevo
09-09-2014, 12:53 PM
South Dutch are mostly Germanic(frankish) and look the part too.

Yes, the Coastal/Northern parts of The Netherlands have more Frisian/Saxon admixture.

Styrian Mujo
09-09-2014, 01:12 PM
All Dutch people are Teutonic but ofcourse nobody is 100% anything.