PDA

View Full Version : Hackers could steal personal data from computers using SOUNDWAVES

Kazimiera
12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Hackers could steal personal data from computers using SOUNDWAVES - and even the most secure PCs may be at risk

German computer scientists transmitted passwords between two machines using soundwaves that are inaudible to humans
Researchers at the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics in Germany tapped into laptop speakers
The experiment is set to change the way important computers are secured, which are currently protected by 'air gaps'

In the future, computer hackers could steal sensitive data from people’s computers using nothing but soundwaves, experts have warned.

German computer scientists have proved the idea is possible by developing a new type of malware that can travel between machines using sound waves that are inaudible to unsuspecting humans.

Using built-in microphones and speakers in laptops, the researchers managed to transmit passwords and small amounts of data between machines 65ft away from each other.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/04/article-2518217-19D7D47400000578-701_634x468.jpg
Computer hackers could steal sensitive data from people's computers using nothing but soundwaves (illustrated), experts have warned. Computer scientists used built-in microphones and speakers in machines to pass passwords between machines 65ft away from each other

The terrifying feat was achieved by computer scientists at the Fraunhofer Institute for Communication, Information Processing and Ergonomics in Germany, The Huffington Post reported.

The researchers warned: ‘Acoustical networking as a covert communication technology is a considerable threat to computer security.’

The finding is of huge concern to computer security firms that currently isolate important machines which have no internet connection, using ‘air gaps’ to protect them.

Until now it has been thought that these computers would be safe from hackers but the new research, published in the Journal of Communications, casts doubt on this idea.

The researchers wrote: 'In our article, we describe how the complete concept of air gaps can be considered obsolete as commonly available laptops can communicate over their internal speakers and microphones and even form a covert acoustical mesh network.’

The computer scientists started investigating the idea of hacking computers using sound by imagining how tech savvy criminals might gain access to the most secure of machines.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/04/article-2518217-19D7D9BA00000578-578_634x343.jpg
The researchers chose to used high pitched sounds, inaudible to humans, and harnessed the microphone and speakers in a Lenovo T400 computer to transmit keystrokes from one machine to another. The technique could be used to pass small data files, and passwords between machines, they said

They noted that in the past hackers have used ‘parts of the operating system that were not considered for communication’ to gain access to sensitive data'.

Consequently they came up with a hack using sound to steal data from ‘air gap’ protected machines and suggested that noise could be used to pass data between target computers and the ‘hacker’ machine.

The researchers chose to use sounds that are too high pitched for humans to hear and harnessed the microphone and speakers in a Lenovo T400 computer to transmit keystrokes from one computer to another.

The technique could also be used to pass small data files passwords and encryption keys between machines, they said.

While in the experiment, they only managed a data rate of 20 bits per second, the slow rate is still enough to transmit passwords and could no doubt be improved upon in time.

The experiment passed data between computers positioned 65ft apart but the scientists believe the range could be expanded using ‘mesh networks’ to transmit sound over long distances, enabling hackers to attack from afar.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2518217/Hackers-steal-personal-data-computers-using-SOUNDWAVES--secure-PCs-risk.html

Canadian IT
12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
To be completely honest, I have read a lot of these "Oh look what we were able to do in a lab to read your computer" that would be moderately to extremely complex to pull off in an urban or suburban setting just due to the amount of energy and what not from computers and electronics that are fucking everywhere.

The scariest one was about figuring out what computers are doing in a building based on monitoring power currents on exterior power cables. However, if you're in a moderate to large sized building... how would they know what is what?

It's cool and all that they could do something like this, do not get me wrong, but we're probably 20-50 years from it being something a hacker could pull off.

RonaldH
12-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeah, I also think that what can be produced in labs sometimes is not the same in real life. Anycase, data security should be one of our primary concerns now.