PDA

View Full Version : For sale: Rare German successor to the Enigma machine

Kazimiera
12-10-2013, 07:37 PM
For sale: Rare German successor to the Enigma machine that defeated Bletchley Park's code breakers during WWII

The SG-41Z device, which was created in 1944, is being sold at Burstow and Hewett auctioneers in Battle, East Sussex, next Wednesday
The machine, which is not in working order, is only one of ten remaining in the world and is expected to fetch between £15,000 and £20,000
The device was made with a numeric keypad rather than a letter keypad, and was produced for the Luftwaffe to encrypt weather reports

A rare encryption device invented by the Nazis towards the end of the war, which defeated Bletchley Park's code breakers, is set to be sold at auction.

The SG-41Z machine is only one of ten remaining in the world and was produced as a successor to the well-known Enigma machine, which was famously thwarted by British intelligence officers at the top secret location known as 'Station X'.

The initial order in 1944 was for 10,000 machines, but only around 100 were actually produced, initially because of material problems, and then the end of the war.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-0-19E611DD00000578-684_634x405.jpg
Sussex auction House Burstow and Hewett are selling an exceptionally rare SG-41Z encryption machine (pictured) which was designed as the successor to the famous Nazi WW2 Enigma machine

Today there only two in working order, excluding the machine that will go under the hammer at Burstow and Hewett auctioneers in Battle, East Sussex, next Wednesday.

The rare device is expected to fetch between £15,000 and £20,000.

The SG-41Z model was made with a numeric keypad rather than a letter keypad, and was produced for the Luftwaffe to encrypt weather reports.

It was recovered from the sea-bed and restored to a museum standard by an East Sussex-based expert in computer and machinery restoration, although it is not in working order.

Head auctioneer Mark Ellin said: 'This lot is extremely rare.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-0-19E6123400000578-709_634x411.jpg
Today there are thought to be only around 10 in existence - and only 2 in working order. This model, the SG-41Z, was made with a numeric keypad rather than a letter keypad, and these were produced for the Luftwaffe to encrypt weather reports

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-2519334-00003BF900000CB2-649_634x411.jpg
'Station X': Bletchley Park, pictured, was the hub of the British intelligence effort, where the Engima code was repeatedly broken

'It was brought up from a sunken U-boat a few years ago.

'Some machines were dumped into the sea after the war to stop the enemy getting their hands on them.

'There is ticker tape underneath that the encryption code comes through. It is an amazing thing, there are masses of cogs. I have never seen one before.'

Mr Ellin said he has already had some interest in the machine, as World War Two memorabilia can be very collectable.

'I have been doing this a long time and see a lot of the same old things coming through so it is great to see something that I have never seen before and something that most people have never seen before,' he added.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/10/12/article-2456163-0007A38B00000258-911_634x494.jpg
Tireless: Intelligence analysts, including these members of the Women's Royal Naval Service, worked tirelessly to break German codes in the Second World War

AMAZING STORY OF BLETCHLEY PARK HEROES WHO HELPED WIN THE WAR

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/06/article-2519334-0619F8BC000005DC-461_306x423.jpg
Alan Turing is considered the father of modern computing and helped win World War II for the Allies

The intelligence war waging in a quiet corner of Buckinghamshire was to be decisive in the Allied effort to win the Second World War.

Station X - known now as Bletchley Park - was the hub of Britain's code-backing effort, where hugely talented mathematicians and inventors worked tirelessly to give the armed forces a crucial helping-hand.

As Winston Churchill himself made clear, the accurate information which flowed from Bletchley Park every day, at a rate which sometimes reached 6,000 messages a day, saved lives and gave Britain a crucial edge in battle.

Alan Turing, the Cambridge-educated mathematical genius, and Post Office Engineer Tommy Flowers, are the two most celebrated figures whose innovations greatly improved the Allied ability to decipher German messages.

The Enigma machine, which was on sale commercially in the 1920s, was modified by the Germans to make it more secure. They trusted completely that its codes were unbreakable, and used it for all manner of important communications.

However, it was thwarted in part thanks to Alan Turing's 'Bombe' device, which was able to speed up the code-breaking process immeasurably.

Turing based his invention on a Polish device, the 'Bomba', which was handed over to Britain just weeks before Poland was invaded in 1939.

It was not able to decipher German codes automatically, but once analysts had manually deciphered a few letters by picking out common words, such as the names of German generals or short words such as 'to' and 'they', the device could rapidly test hundreds of other possibilities to put together a code.

Over 100 of the machines were built to aid the code-breaking effort, but they were all destroyed when the war ended. A replica was built in 2008, and can be seen at Bletchley Park, which is now a museum.

The quest to beat the German intelligence services also resulted in the construction of the world's first proper computer - called Colossus.

Developed by Tommy Flowers from a network of thousands of electronic valves, the device was able to crack the Lorenz Cipher, which the Nazi high command used for messages deemed too sensitive for Enigma transmission.

The Colossus Mark II, which was five times faster than the original, was finished less than a week before the Normandy landings, and gave the Allies another crucial edge in the last phase of the war.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2519334/WWII-German-successor-Enigma-machine-beat-Bletchley-Parks-code-breakers.html