PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Lutheran Church elects lesbian bishop

The Lawspeaker
11-09-2009, 04:28 AM
Swedish Lutheran Church elects lesbian bishop (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_13_126/ai_n32106715/?tag=content;col1)

THE NEWLY ELECTED Lutheran bishop of Stockholm says that being a lesbian means that she wants to stand alongside people who feel powerless.

"I know what it is to be called into question," Eva Brunne said in an article on the Web site of the Church of Sweden after her May 26 election. "I am in the lucky situation that I have power, and I can use it for the benefit of those who have no power."

Brunne, currently the dean of the Stockholm diocese, is the first Church of Sweden bishop to live in a registered homosexual partnership, the Uppsala-headquartered church said, and she is believed to be the first openly lesbian bishop in the world.

Brunne, 55, lives with priest Gunilla Linden in a partnership that has received a church blessing. They have a three-year-old son.

"Once you have been baptized, no one can say you cannot be part of the church because you are homo-, bi- or transsexual," the Web site of the French periodical Ttu quoted Brunne as saying.

In the election for the post, she received 413 votes to Hans Ulfvebrand's 365; she will succeed Bishop Caroline Krook, who is to retire in November.

Lutheran churches throughout the world hold different views about matters of human sexuality, including the acceptance of homosexuals in church life and blessings for same-sex relationships. The Swedish church has faced criticism particularly from Lutheran churches in Africa.--RNS/ENI

Wölfin
11-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Hmm... I could make an elaborate reflection on this as I feel many thoughts rushing in to my mind however, I will be content with simply saying that it is err... interesting...

The Lawspeaker
11-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Yes.. it's a rather interesting development to say the least. Female bishops are already quite the stunt IMO but homosexual.. lesbian clergy ?
What on earth is the Lutheran Church thinking ? Are they racing against the rest of Christendom about who ends up on the bottom first?

Osweo
11-09-2009, 04:35 AM
[ "I am in the lucky situation that I have power, and I can use it for the benefit of those who have no power

Because 'power' is exactly what his holy calling is all about, eh, Your Grace? Sickening.

Wölfin
11-09-2009, 04:41 AM
I don't know if it's simply a misusage of words, influence rather than power. Either way I think although homosexuals are allowed to have Faith and should be allowed in Churches and accepted as part of the community, I do not think they should be Clergy for very obvious reasons.

YankeesFan45
11-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Woah Sweden's got it going on, Lesbians are HOT! I always liked Swedish people too.

Brännvin
11-09-2009, 04:47 AM
I always liked Swedish people too.

While I dislike of American people :D ;) :D

Falkata
11-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Woah Sweden's got it going on, Lesbians are HOT! I always liked Swedish people too.

http://blog.friendlymap.com.uy/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/24f2c_lesbians.jpg
:(

National_Nord
11-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Church must fight for morality, and not to encourage gays and lesbians.

Anthropos
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
In a denomination that ordains women already, and doesn't require bishops to take a vow of celibacy, a lesbian bishop shouldn't be a problem. What is still wrong is the fact that they announce it at all, and that they even celebrate it. That almost seems to be the whole point. The gay lobby is very strong in Sweden, and this is a demonstration of their power.