PDA

View Full Version : Wales 'old fashioned' says study

Treffie
11-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Wales is "slightly old-fashioned" and the Welsh are "not friendly" in the minds of some potential visitors to the country, research has found.

A report commissioned by the Arts Council and Visit Wales also found some visitors from England felt excluded by the Welsh language.

Cardiff, while known for the Millennium Stadium, was "just a city..like any other" and at worst "a bit rough".

Visit Wales said people who came to Wales were generally happy with it.

The research questioned focus groups from the north, middle and south of England, north and south Wales and Ireland involving people aged from 20 to 70 and for those from outside Wales was targeted at people who had either never visited or did not know much about the country.

It found Wales was well-known for its industrial heritage and history, as well as rugby and choirs, and was seen as a place for both active and relaxing breaks in the countryside or by the beach.

However, it was not seen as a place for city breaks, with most people not able to imagine why they would want to spend time in Cardiff or Swansea.

Some of the comments made included, "I'm struggling to think of things that are there", "it's more nature that would draw me in rather than (culture) … like I said before there aren't any big cities or towns really that you know", "I think Wales is almost like Birmingham's playground in a way, you can go mountain biking, beaches, you've got the walking".

One family said in Wales they would "not know what to expect".

Figures from popular culture including Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta Jones and Katherine Jenkins were well-known, with others mentioning Shirley Bassey, Charlotte Church and groups such as Stereophonics and Manic Street Preachers.

Younger people also mentioned the comedy show Gavin and Stacey, and Big Brother contestant Glynn Wise.

In relation to the Welsh language, Irish visitors respected the use of the language and liked to hear it, but some English people felt excluded by it and had a more mixed reaction. :rolleyes:

When Visit Wales had done research on people who have visited, the reaction to the country was always more favourable, the agency said.

Jonathan Jones of Visit Wales said this research was for a strategy on cultural tourism being developed and had targeted people who did not know much about Wales.

He said: "Unfortunately, these stereotypes are still out there. We have got to try to address these stereotypes but make sure once people are here these stereotypes are really addressed and people go away feeling that there is a tremendous welcome and that this is a modern and vibrant country.

"There are a small number of miserable people in any part of any country in the world.

"What we have got to make sure is when tourists come here they are treated properly."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8349935.stm

Liffrea
11-17-2009, 02:08 PM
No change there then…..:p:D

I don’t mind the natives speaking what they call a language, just as long as I’m out of spitting distance. I don’t feel excluded why do I want to hear about Owen’s escapades with the sheep?

But seriously I’ve visited Wales quite a lot over the years, I’ve never felt unwelcome, I think people are happy to rob you blind for junk any where on earth with a smile! The country side is nice, for the two hours a year it doesn’t piss it down, the sea is clear, and it’s good to see that the Welsh are establishing their own identity, if English folks don’t like it they can piss off back their side of the Dyke. The Welsh occasionally even have good looking women amongst their ranks.:D

Treffie
11-17-2009, 02:19 PM
But seriously I’ve visited Wales quite a lot over the years, I’ve never felt unwelcome, I think people are happy to rob you blind for junk any where on earth with a smile! The country side is nice, for the two hours a year it doesn’t piss it down, the sea is clear, and it’s good to see that the Welsh are establishing their own identity, if English folks don’t like it they can piss off back their side of the Dyke. The Welsh occasionally even have good looking women amongst their ranks.:D

Please provide a source for that - your information is inaccurate - it's 1 hour ;)

Albion
04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah in Cheshire is said they shoot arrows at strangers :D