PDA

View Full Version : India bans gay sex

Loki
12-12-2013, 01:35 PM
India’s Supreme Court Restores an 1861 Law Banning Gay Sex (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/12/world/asia/court-restores-indias-ban-on-gay-sex.html?_r=0)

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/12/12/world/12india/12india-articleLarge.jpg
Gay rights activists at a protest in New Delhi on Wednesday. A law that was reinstated on Wednesday had been ruled unconstitutional in 2009.

NEW DELHI — The Indian Supreme Court reinstated on Wednesday a colonial-era law banning gay sex, ruling that it had been struck down improperly by a lower court.

The 1861 law, which imposes a 10-year sentence for “carnal intercourse against the order of nature with man, woman or animal,” was ruled unconstitutional in a 2009 decision. But the Supreme Court held that only Parliament had the power to change that law.

There is almost no chance that Parliament will act where the Supreme Court did not, advocates and opponents of the law agreed. With the Bharatiya Janata Party, a conservative Hindu nationalist group, appearing in ascendancy before national elections in the spring, the prospect of any legislative change in the next few years is highly unlikely, analysts said.

Anjali Gopalan, founder of a charity that sued to overturn the 1861 law, said she was shocked by the ruling.

“This is taking many, many steps back,” Ms. Gopalan said. “The Supreme Court has not just let down the L.G.B.T. community, but the Constitution of India.”

S. Q. R. Ilyas, a member of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board, which filed a petition in support of the reversal, praised Wednesday’s ruling.

“These relationships are unethical as well as unnatural,” he said. “They create problems in society, both moral and social. This is a sin as far as Islam is concerned.”

India has a rich history of eunuchs and transgender people who serve critical roles in important social functions and whose blessings are eagerly sought. Transgender people often approach cars sitting at traffic lights here and ask for money, and many Indians — fearing a powerful curse if they refuse — hand over small bills.

Despite this history, Indians are in the main deeply conservative about issues of sexuality and personal morality. National surveys show that Indians widely disapprove of homosexuality and, on average, have few sexual partners throughout their lives.

The pressure to marry, have children and conform to traditional notions of family and caste can be overwhelming in many communities. Indian weddings are famously raucous and communal affairs. So gay men and women are often forced to live double lives.

Asian nations typically take a more restrictive view of homosexuality than Western countries. In China, gay sex is not explicitly outlawed, but people can be arrested under ill-defined laws like licentiousness.

The law banning homosexuality is rarely enforced in India, but the police sometimes use it to bully and intimidate gay men and women. In rare cases, health charities that hand out condoms to gays to help prevent the spread of H.I.V. and AIDS have had their work interrupted because such efforts are technically illegal under the law.

But inspired by gay rights efforts elsewhere, activists in India have in recent years sought to assert their rights, holding gay rights marches and pushing for greater legal rights and recognition.

As part of this effort, the Naz Foundation, a gay rights advocacy group, filed suit in 2001 challenging the 1861 law, known here as Section 377. After years of wrangling, the group won a remarkable victory in 2009, when the Delhi High Court ruled that the law violated constitutional guarantees for equality, privacy and freedom of expression.

India’s judges have sweeping powers and a long history of judicial activism that would be all but unimaginable in the United States. In recent years, judges required Delhi’s auto-rickshaws to convert to natural gas to help cut down on pollution, closed much of the country’s iron-ore-mining industry to cut down on corruption and ruled that politicians facing criminal charges could not seek re-election.

Indeed, India’s Supreme Court and Parliament have openly battled for decades, with Parliament passing multiple constitutional amendments to respond to various Supreme Court rulings.

But legalizing gay sex was one step too far for India’s top judges, and in a rare instance of judicial modesty they deferred to India’s legislators.

India’s central government had offered conflicting arguments during the many years of wrangling around the case. But Indira Jaising, an assistant solicitor general of India, said in a televised interview that she was surprised that the court had decided to punt on the underlying legal case.

“They have never been deterred by the argument that the government, the legislature or the executive has not done this or that on other policy matters,” she said.

BeerBaron
12-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Interesting, I would like to hear how “These relationships are unethical as well as unnatural,” he said. “They create problems in society, both moral and social. This is a sin as far as Islam is concerned.” is a justified statement when almost every single organism exhibits homosexual behavior.

The King, I am
12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
India is gay

askra
12-12-2013, 01:51 PM
In hinduism many gods are homosexuals and hermaphrodites. If they were coherents, they should ban the most professed religion over there, too! :rolleyes:

Incal
12-12-2013, 02:32 PM
These are my thoughts on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqESVHhzeyU

silver_surfer
12-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Yes India is too conservative, so much so that Indian censor board censors all the intimate scenes from foreign movies. We even mute words ''fuck'' and ''sex'' from the subtitles. Hell, now we even started censoring fashion tv because of skinny models. So I am not surprised by the court decision. -_-

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 04:07 PM
Even Indians in Britain are a pretty socially conservative bunch, let alone the ones back in India itself. I am disappointed by this, but not entirely surprised.

Loki
12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
In hinduism many gods are homosexuals and hermaphrodites. If they were coherents, they should ban the most professed religion over there, too! :rolleyes:

Yes. Hindus would probably not like this. But then again, Indian courts are secular.

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Yes India is too conservative, so much so that Indian censor board censors all the intimate scenes from foreign movies. We even mute words ''fuck'' and ''sex'' from the subtitles. Hell, now we even started censoring fashion tv because of skinny models. So I am not surprised by the court decision. -_-

Having said that, I have noticed that Bollywood has become more sensual and raunchy in recent years. I think it all started when Salman Khan started regularly taking off his shirt; most of the male actors increasingly do the same too.

PolishAmerican190
12-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Do they now have to go to Pakistan for gay sex?

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Do they now have to go to Pakistan for gay sex?

No, either Turkey or Thailand would be the best (relatively) nearby options.

Hadouken
12-12-2013, 04:44 PM

please no

GrebluBro
12-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Bollywood's intimate/sensual scenes are totally irrelevant to reality.
Except Mumbai, Bangalore an other handful of cities, everywhere else India is very conservative. Aforementioned cities are moderately conservative too
People find gay people extremely awkward or irritating

Loki
12-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Karachi is the Asian mecca for gay sex.

GrebluBro
12-12-2013, 05:00 PM
What the F**k Obama is going to do now??
He always threatens imposing Sanctions if country bans homosexuality. He said that to Kenya, will he say it to India? :lol:

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Oh please, Pakistan is as Fundamentalist as you can get.

Sky earth
12-12-2013, 05:09 PM

I've heard that Kandahar in Afghanistan is the gay capital of South Asia. The men (mainly Pashtuns) there have sex just for fun with each other.

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 05:09 PM
please no

Turkey is more liberal than most MENA and South Asian countries. I visited Istanbul last year - I saw fewer women with headscarves than I do in many British cities!

Hadouken
12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Turkey is more liberal than most MENA and South Asian countries. I visited Istanbul last year - I saw fewer women with headscarves than I do in many British cities!

i know

Cail
12-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Well well well. Lets see if this provokes an outcry anywhere near the one when Russia banned gay propaganda. Logically, it should be way stronger (banning homo sex >>> banning homo sex propaganda). Everyone who criticized Russia should be bashing India with 10x more fervor, otherwise = hypocrite.

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 05:17 PM
Well well well. Lets see if this provokes an outcry anywhere near the one when Russia banned gay propaganda. Logically, it should be way stronger (banning homo sex >>> banning homo sex propaganda). Everyone who criticized Russia should be bashing India with 10x more fervor, otherwise = hypocrite.

Indeed. Expect lots of relativists and Western self-haters to say "oh but it is their culture."

silver_surfer
12-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Having said that, I have noticed that Bollywood has become more sensual and raunchy in recent years. I think it all started when Salman Khan started regularly taking off his shirt; most of the male actors increasingly do the same too.

Actually it has got nothing to do with Salman Khan taking his shirt off. Infact he his very conservative.
Yes lately we have started producing few adult comidies. I think the younger generation is more western and liberal minded in their view towards life.

Tooting Carmen
12-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Actually it has got nothing to do with Salman Khan taking his shirt off. Infact he his very conservative.
Yes lately we have started producing few adult comidies. I think the younger generation is more western and liberal minded in their view towards life.

Or at least some of them are.

GrebluBro
12-12-2013, 05:35 PM

Enjoying watching comedy and bearing it in reality is quite different.
Younger generation who bears homosexuality is centered around only big cities mostly.
90% of young Indians still against this.

Rambo07
12-12-2013, 06:35 PM
Well this just shows how ridiculous and stupid the Indian judicial system is.
The country has a long history of Eunuchs/homosexuals (Qusras) being apart of the contemporary culture ,esp in the North, as another person mentioned some deities are even depicted as hermaphrodites to show the duality of male/female energy. I could care less about gays but from a world perspective this does not help India's image, only further shows how backward its govt is.
Also rather than focus on such petty issues they should focus women's rights and improving their court system , considering the high level amount of gang rapes which occur in the country.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/9054429/India-most-dangerous-place-in-world-to-be-born-a-girl.html

Mason8
12-12-2013, 06:36 PM
This gay phenomenon is largely restricted to the big cities in India like Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, Chennai and Bangalore and it is no longer considered to be a taboo to be gay in urban India. Rural India where 60% of the population stays, still considers it as a taboo

Hindu religion does not say anything against a gay union, nor anything for it. do the gay people want to be cured?

KidMulat
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
They did not ban gay sex, it has been against the law since the British enforced Buggery Acts they are merely continuing word for word that buggery act.

After millennia of same sex loving being known in India, after British control its been completely wiped away from the cultural memory of Indian people and its fucked up.

PolishAmerican190
12-12-2013, 07:17 PM

that makes sense, but I chose Pakistan mainly because of their low regard for women.

Loki
12-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Oh please, Pakistan is as Fundamentalist as you can get.

No, I'm serious. I made a thread about that, I'll try to find it.

Loki
12-12-2013, 07:20 PM
They did not ban gay sex, it has been against the law since the British enforced Buggery Acts they are merely continuing word for word that buggery act.

There was a court decision in 2009 to repeal the act. Now it's been overturned.

After millennia of same sex loving being known in India, after British control its been completely wiped away from the cultural memory of Indian people and its fucked up.

That is true. It's a remnant of colonialism and enforced morality.

robar
12-12-2013, 07:21 PM
Good move Europe should follow!!!

Loki
12-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Gay Pakistan:

http://www.theapricity.com/forum/showthread.php?91365-Gay-Pakistan-Where-sex-is-available-and-relationships-are-difficult

albosomething
12-12-2013, 07:59 PM
at last a reason to like them

KidMulat
12-12-2013, 09:11 PM
There was a court decision in 2009 to repeal the act. Now it's been overturned.

That is true. It's a remnant of colonialism and enforced morality.

They did not ban it is what I am saying, they are reinstating

earth
12-17-2013, 11:18 AM
They did not ban it is what I am saying, they are reinstating

exactly....