PDA

View Full Version : The use of English on the foreign forums ?

Atlas
01-03-2009, 11:30 PM
What do you think about it ? I never cared when I was the French moderator on the Phora that people started threads in English, instead, it keeps the forum alive since we do not have many foreigners yet, anyway, I would like your opinion and vote on this please...

Beorn
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
I didn't vote as I don't agree with either of the choices, but, it seems other forums have successfully integrated national sections with subsections geared just for the English entries, so why not here?

Being English I never see any problem with posting in "foreign" sections, (not our fault, God did create us in his image:P), but I have seen it does annoy others.

Arrow Cross
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Yes, but as you can see, many of them have an "English Entries" subsection, where the articles in English about the country can be placed. Every non-English-speaking national subforum should have one. The ones in the native language go in the normal part.

Vulpix
01-04-2009, 12:03 AM
As Arrow Cross said :D!

It's good to have English entries in the countries-specific forums, so that even those that don't speak that language can read important updates/news about that country ;).

Atlas
01-04-2009, 11:09 AM
Yes, but as you can see, many of them have an "English Entries" subsection, where the articles in English

Good idea, that would be a suggestion to the administrators, set up "English entries" in every non English section and people shouldn't whine about it although according to the poll, most people aren't bothered by my original idea.

Ĉmeric
01-04-2009, 01:41 PM
If you don't allow English on the foreign subforums then you severely limit the number of persons who can participate in discussions on those foreigns. Many persons speak English as their mother-tongue or as a second language. If for example only French is allowed in the subforum for France, only those who sepak French as the mother-tongue or who know it as a second language (considerably fewer then those who speak English as a second language) could participate in the forum.

But if you want to limit discussion in a thread in the French or German etc. forums, to those who are French or German, start the threads in French or German & this will limit discussion to those who speak the language.

Oresai
01-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I can see both points of view, but I genuinely find it helpful when the other nationality sections have an English section too. :)
Let`s face it, I`ll be the first to admit Britons of my age are notoriously bad at learning any other language than their own...:embarrassed
and in fact, in my case, my general knowledge of European countries is woefully ignorant! So it helps me to learn more of what is happening when I can read the English section belonging to another country. :)