PDA

View Full Version : The 100 most Common Surnames in the Dominican Republic

Fincher
12-16-2013, 04:51 PM
Notice any trends?

http://yerrybatista.blogspot.com/2012/10/apellidos-mas-comunes-en-la-republica.html?m=1

How common are some of these last names in Spain?

Sikeliot
12-16-2013, 04:53 PM
-ez surnames tend to be Galician, no? This is why in Portuguese you have similar surnames ending in -es. Gomes/Gomez, Lopes/Lopez etc.

Montero exists in Portugal as Monteiro, Acevedo is also a Galician surname (Azevedo is the Portuguese equivalent).

Severino is also found in Italians, and I had no idea that Pimentel and Tavares (both Portuguese surnames) were found in Spanish speaking countries.

Fincher
12-16-2013, 04:55 PM
A few that stand out to me:

-Pimentel
-Taveras
-Beltre
-Pichardo
-Marte
-Gil

Sikeliot
12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
A few that stand out to me:

-Pimentel
-Taveras
-Beltre
-Pichardo
-Marte
-Gil

Pichardo = Picard (French surname)
Taveras = Tavares (Portuguese surname)
Pimentel is also Portuguese.

Fincher
12-16-2013, 04:56 PM
-ez surnames tend to be Galician, no? This is why in Portuguese you have similar surnames ending in -es. Gomes/Gomez, Lopes/Lopez etc.

Montero exists in Portugal as Monteiro, Acevedo is also a Galician surname (Azevedo is the Portuguese equivalent).

Severino is also found in Italians, and I had no idea that Pimentel and Tavares (both Portuguese surnames) were found in Spanish speaking countries.

Interesting. I think -ez is just mainstream Spanish though.

curupira
12-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Not a single French surname, which would indicate Haitian ancestry.

Fincher
12-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Two common surnames of Haitian origin are Montas and Duverge, although they didn't make the list.

Sikeliot
12-16-2013, 05:03 PM

The only one is Pichardo, which should be Picard but it's been made to look Spanish. Not sure if that exists in Spain though.

Sikeliot
12-16-2013, 05:04 PM
Two common surnames of Haitian origin are Montas and Duverge.

A strangely common surname amongst Haitians in my area is "St. Pierre".

Fincher
12-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Bump.

Damiăo de Góis
12-17-2013, 12:06 AM

-ez surnames are the most typically castillian ones.