PDA

View Full Version : Interesting facts regarding DNA testing

dhunter93
12-17-2013, 01:31 AM
Hi All, after after an interesting experience with discovering my J-L210 haplogroup I was forced to do some leg work. I was under the impression J-L210 involved Jewish heritage and was a little taken aback because there was no known Jewish heritage on my fathers side.

So I contacted the J project and discovered that absent having all of the Jewish markers you are likely not Jewish, but what was shocking was even if you have the markers you are likely not Jewish.

To my surprise haplogroups (ig j-l210 etc from j2 etc) are not different branches but rather over lapping mutations. Even though I did not have the Jewish markers it in no way proves or disproves being Jewish. Whats makes matters worse is an oversampling of Jewish participants in these DNA studies and researchers trying to identify Jewish heritage. So in the end once you carve through the nonsense you have more non Jews with the same DNA as the Kohanim.

Anglojew
12-17-2013, 01:55 AM
Hi All, after after an interesting experience with discovering my J-L210 haplogroup I was forced to do some leg work. I was under the impression J-L210 involved Jewish heritage and was a little taken aback because there was no known Jewish heritage on my fathers side.

So I contacted the J project and discovered that absent having all of the Jewish markers you are likely not Jewish, but what was shocking was even if you have the markers you are likely not Jewish.

To my surprise haplogroups (ig j-l210 etc from j2 etc) are not different branches but rather over lapping mutations. Even though I did not have the Jewish markers it in no way proves or disproves being Jewish. Whats makes matters worse is an oversampling of Jewish participants in these DNA studies and researchers trying to identify Jewish heritage. So in the end once you carve through the nonsense you have more non Jews with the same DNA as the Kohanim.

Interesting. So you have parallel ancestry with some Jews but not directly Jewish?

dhunter93
12-17-2013, 02:19 AM
Interesting. So you have parallel ancestry with some Jews but not directly Jewish?

Maybe it was not clear enough , although I don't have the Ahskinazi markers, what I discover is no one really does. You see there are as many non Jews with Jewish markers as there are Jews with them. Oversampling has cause conclusions to be drawn about haplogroups that are just inaccurate.

MarkyMark
12-17-2013, 02:28 AM
I don't trust DNA testing very much at all actually.

Anglojew
12-17-2013, 03:38 AM
Maybe it was not clear enough , although I don't have the Ahskinazi markers, what I discover is no one really does. You see there are as many non Jews with Jewish markers as there are Jews with them. Oversampling has cause conclusions to be drawn about haplogroups that are just inaccurate.

So you've discovered we're not an alien species?