PDA

View Full Version : Vitamins are a waste of money, say scientists

Loki
12-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Vitamins are a waste of money, say scientists (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10521920/Vitamins-are-a-waste-of-money-say-scientists.html)

Researchers warned people to stay clear of supplements, which are taken by one in three people in Britain

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02751/pills-vitamins_2751654a.jpg

Vitamin pills are a waste of money and offer no health benefits, a group of leading scientists has said.

Researchers declared “case closed” on supplements, while one academic suggested they could even be harmful by creating false worries about illnesses which cannot be cured.

They warned people to stay clear of the pills, which are taken by one in three, because Western adults are typically well-nourished and rarely require additional vitamins, reported The Times.

Writing in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, academics from the John Hopkins University School of Medicine and the University of Warwick said evidence suggested that “supplementing of well-nourished adults … has no clear benefit and might even be harmful.”

The statement coincided with the release of some of the world’s most comprehensive research into vitamin supplements involving half a million people.

One study analysed 24 previous trials involving 450,000 people and found no beneficial effect on mortality from taking vitamins.

The second examined 6,000 elderly men and found taking pills had no positive effect on cognitive decline after 12 years.

The third piece of research followed 1,700 men and women with heart problems and discovered no benefit in those who had taken supplements.

The studies lead the academics to conclude the use of most supplements should be avoided.

They wrote: “These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.”

Around one in three British adults take some form of nutritional supplement. Multivitamins are the most popular followed by vitamin C.

Edgar Miller, of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in Baltimore, Maryland, said: “There are some that advocate we have many nutritional deficiencies in our diet.

“The truth is, though we are in general overfed, our diet is completely adequate.”

It comes a week after scientists from the International Prevention Research Institute in Lyon found low vitamin D levels are a consequence rather than a cause of ill health.

The findings lead to fears that the NHS could be wasting £80 million a year prescribing vitamin D for diseases like Cancer, Parkinson’s and diabetes.

Doctors currently believe that Vitamin D has a role in disease prevention and promotes the uptake of calcium and bone formation.

But Public Health England is reviewing its recommendations for vitamin D which are expected to be published next year.

Lukas
12-17-2013, 02:13 PM
It helps to give you energy though, I can tell when I take them, and there is no evidence of harm. Also, like they said about Vitamin D some substances supplements are just as good as the natural thing.

Gospodine
12-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Old news.

The entire health foods industry is smoke and mirrors. Eat your fucking vegetables (forget most fruit it's full of sugar), get enough sleep and exercise; you know, in other words, be human. If you're a professional athlete who has been living a militarily-disciplined lifestyle for a decade with perfect nutrition and physical fitness, you may see a marginal improvement on the molecular level with regular supplementation.

Otherwise people who pop vitamin pills and expect to feel 16 years old again, while sitting around all day, are nuts. Your digestive tract is not designed to absorb nutrients from pills; it needs a whole host of other enzymes and acids found in food matter to actually aid in the break-down of those complex chemical structures.

Also note, these supplements are poorly vetted and researched; already many whey protein isolates and sports-marketed "energy drinks" have been discovered to have adverse health-effects with long-term consumption or over-consumption.

Ultra
12-17-2013, 02:18 PM
I take Vitamin D supplements after I realized there's not much of it in the fat(3%) milk that I drink. Most of it is destroyed during pasteurization and unlike the lower fat variants they don't add any additional Vitamin A or D to it, and I don't spend that much time outside year around either, together with the fact that I've been serious about weightlifting since about that time as well, I figured it would only be a good thing to start taking additional Vitamin D. And I must say, a few months after now of taking 4000-6000 IU of it daily I feel much better. It could just be a coincidence though, but I find it unlikely for it to be completely. :p

Gospodine
12-17-2013, 02:21 PM
And I must say, a few months after now of taking 4000-6000 IU of it daily I feel much better.

It helps to give you energy though, I can tell when I take them,

Placebo effect most likely.

Bartuc
12-17-2013, 02:22 PM
All vitamins? I also believe you don't need to take supplements in order to boost your health or prevent certain diseases, some good nutrition habits can be enough. But do most of people in these days have time to eat healthy foods and in the proper amount? I believe vitamins in tablets or capsules can be taken only for practical reasons, for example: You need a certain amount of vitamin C, you can take it by drinking some glasses of orange juice or by taking a pill, which contains a much more purified version of the same vitamin. It will depend solely on what is more practical to you at the moment.

Plus, the word "supplement" says it all. Without a healthy lifestyle (mind and body) it doesn't make miracles.

Ultra
12-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Placebo effect most likely.
I don't think so, it would only have made sense for me to have a Vitamin D deficiency and to feel better after adding it to my diet after a while. It's not something I felt instantly, it's just that I've gradually felt much better as each month goes by, without anything really having changed in my life. And I never thought about it being any special when I took them, I just thought about this a few weeks ago while I just felt so much better now/then than 3 months prior.

Ultra
12-17-2013, 02:28 PM
So I think I have come to the conclusion that Vitamin D/sunlight is underrated!

Alessio
12-17-2013, 02:28 PM
I totally agree one that it's a waste of money!! Just buy (organic) fruit and eat (raw) nuts and avocados!

Vitamins are a waste of money, say scientists (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10521920/Vitamins-are-a-waste-of-money-say-scientists.html)

Researchers warned people to stay clear of supplements, which are taken by one in three people in Britain

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02751/pills-vitamins_2751654a.jpg

Vitamin pills are a waste of money and offer no health benefits, a group of leading scientists has said.

Researchers declared “case closed” on supplements, while one academic suggested they could even be harmful by creating false worries about illnesses which cannot be cured.

They warned people to stay clear of the pills, which are taken by one in three, because Western adults are typically well-nourished and rarely require additional vitamins, reported The Times.

Writing in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, academics from the John Hopkins University School of Medicine and the University of Warwick said evidence suggested that “supplementing of well-nourished adults … has no clear benefit and might even be harmful.”

The statement coincided with the release of some of the world’s most comprehensive research into vitamin supplements involving half a million people.

One study analysed 24 previous trials involving 450,000 people and found no beneficial effect on mortality from taking vitamins.

The second examined 6,000 elderly men and found taking pills had no positive effect on cognitive decline after 12 years.

The third piece of research followed 1,700 men and women with heart problems and discovered no benefit in those who had taken supplements.

The studies lead the academics to conclude the use of most supplements should be avoided.

They wrote: “These vitamins should not be used for chronic disease prevention. Enough is enough.”

Around one in three British adults take some form of nutritional supplement. Multivitamins are the most popular followed by vitamin C.

Edgar Miller, of the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, in Baltimore, Maryland, said: “There are some that advocate we have many nutritional deficiencies in our diet.

“The truth is, though we are in general overfed, our diet is completely adequate.”

It comes a week after scientists from the International Prevention Research Institute in Lyon found low vitamin D levels are a consequence rather than a cause of ill health.

The findings lead to fears that the NHS could be wasting £80 million a year prescribing vitamin D for diseases like Cancer, Parkinson’s and diabetes.

Doctors currently believe that Vitamin D has a role in disease prevention and promotes the uptake of calcium and bone formation.

But Public Health England is reviewing its recommendations for vitamin D which are expected to be published next year.

Ibericus
12-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Nature has everyting we need...if you need vitamines you ain't eating well

Oneeye
12-17-2013, 02:34 PM
People don't need those pills. You will be getting enough with a heathy, varied diet. Taking vitamins just seems like an excuse to eat a lot of nutritionally empty calories.

dude
12-17-2013, 02:38 PM
It is a know fact that in order for a vitamin to have any effect it has to be paired with the corresponding mineral. The body only consumes a small amount of the vitamins and the rest is urinated. If you buy a supplement that costs $50 for 1000% of the daily vitamins needed for your body you are wasting money, it is like using 91 octane gas for a lower octane engine.

Kamal900
12-17-2013, 02:44 PM
I take Vitamin D supplements after I realized there's not much of it in the fat(3%) milk that I drink. Most of it is destroyed during pasteurization and unlike the lower fat variants they don't add any additional Vitamin A or D to it, and I don't spend that much time outside year around either, together with the fact that I've been serious about weightlifting since about that time as well, I figured it would only be a good thing to start taking additional Vitamin D. And I must say, a few months after now of taking 4000-6000 IU of it daily I feel much better. It could just be a coincidence though, but I find it unlikely for it to be completely. :p

Hmm, yesterday i started taking 4000-6000 IU and i should taking one pill every week, because the doctor told me that i have low vitamin D. Should i stop taking those? because i don't spent a lot of my time outside due to the weather(i live in the gulf region). This whole pill situation can be illustrated by this flash cartoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfAul2isPfo

Oneeye
12-17-2013, 02:47 PM
It is a know fact that in order for a vitamin to have any effect it has to be paired with the corresponding mineral. The body only consumes a small amount of the vitamins and the rest is urinated. If you buy a supplement that costs $50 for 1000% of the daily vitamins needed for your body you are wasting money, it is like using 91 octane gas for a lower octane engine.

Also, fat soluble vitamins can reach toxic levels with supplementation.

Bartuc
12-17-2013, 02:47 PM
People don't need those pills. You will be getting enough with a heathy, varied diet. Taking vitamins just seems like an excuse to eat a lot of nutritionally empty calories.

Agree. But sometimes it's not about excuse to eat empty calories but just lack of time.

Insuperable
12-17-2013, 02:58 PM
wow, one out of three people take supplements, I wasn't aware it is that popular.

Oneeye
12-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Agree. But sometimes it's not about excuse to eat empty calories but just lack of time.

Lack of time to eat nutritionally dense foods? I understand the feeling, but healthy food doesn't necessarily take that long to prepare. Sandwiches with whole grain breads, for example, that you can fill with a whole bunch of different ingredients.

It is unfortunate that so many people can't find time to eat healthy and exercise. It is more than worth the effort to fit it in.

thetank
12-17-2013, 03:12 PM
I just don't understand why people just don't eat thier vegetables and fruits..as well as get thier fiber in...the only supplement that is worth buying is fish oil

Tropico
12-17-2013, 03:16 PM
I take RAW Vitamins which Ive heard are mud better and are absorbed by the body and the body recognizes the vitamins due to their raw food origins which the body recognizes better.

Oneeye
12-17-2013, 03:21 PM
I take RAW Vitamins which Ive heard are mud better and are absorbed by the body and the body recognizes the vitamins due to their raw food origins which the body recognizes better.

??? Are you a vegetarian?

Tropico
12-17-2013, 03:21 PM
??? Are you a vegetarian?

No but the pills are Vegan nonetheless.

Loki
12-17-2013, 03:55 PM
It helps to give you energy though, I can tell when I take them, and there is no evidence of harm. Also, like they said about Vitamin D some substances supplements are just as good as the natural thing.

Probably the placebo effect.

Sarmatian
12-17-2013, 04:09 PM
So I think I have come to the conclusion that Vitamin D/sunlight is underrated!

Why do you need to take extra supplement when Vitamin D is naturally produced by skin during exposure to UV? Just spend more time outside mate :thumb001:

Ultra
12-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Why do you need to take extra supplement when Vitamin D is naturally produced by skin during exposure to UV? Just spend more time outside mate :thumb001:
Yeah, exactly.. but when I realized that, summer was already well by and now it's mostly cloudy or I need to be inside school. :thumb001: :(

arcticwolf
12-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Gimme me more money for shit you don't need.

It fucking amazes me how dumb general perception is.
3/4 of the people are medicated out of their fucking minds. Take useless shit like it's fron fountain of youth.

That space between your ears is called a brain, it hosts something called common sense if you got it.

the nature managed to survive and evolve without the fucking magic of pharmaceuticals, you think that's a miracle and does not apply nowadays?

WTF :laugh:

Didriksson
12-22-2013, 05:29 PM
My doctor prescribed me vitamin D, it's like an oil. But that's another story cause I have Vitamin D Deficiency... it's probably true about those cheap ones that you can buy at a local store.