PDA

View Full Version : New TV Series Recommendations

Óttar
12-18-2013, 04:25 AM
Now that I am through with Breaking Bad, I'm wondering which TV series I should watch next. I'm thinking maybe Boardwalk Empire or House of Cards. Maybe I should finish up Mad Men. Any suggestions?

Shkembe Chorba
12-22-2013, 09:05 PM
http://www.heroinetv.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Orange-is-the-New-Black-02-poster1-e1374452170612-959x1024.jpg

http://ideologyofmadness.spookyouthouse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/siberia_nbc.jpg

Those 2 are very fresh new series.

Trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nryWkAaWjKg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59omVgfM-to

Tell me what you think if you decide to watch them :)

Anglojew
12-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Orphan Black
Misfits
Game of Thrones (obviously)

DeaththeKid
12-22-2013, 09:34 PM
House of Cards is good, watch that.

Zmey Gorynych
12-24-2013, 05:46 PM
Watch 'Top of The Lake' and 'The Fall', you wont be disappointed. House Of Cards is IMO the TV series of the year (you might want to see the original too).

Broen/Bron (danish/swedish) TV series is another one worth watching.

inxs
12-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Sparatacus is the best !

http://cdn-premiere.ladmedia.fr/var/premiere/storage/images/series/news-series/photo-spartacus-saison-3-le-poster-de-war-of-the-damned-3433818/62479598-1-fre-FR/PHOTO-Spartacus-saison-3-Le-poster-de-War-of-the-Damned_portrait_w532.jpg

PowerControls
12-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Peaky Blinders and The Wire if you haven't seen it yet.

Atlantic Islander
12-29-2013, 10:32 PM
Anything by Bryan Fuller - Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Hannibal.

Hmm, Damages maybe - serious show.

Ummm... anything by Joss Whedon, but that should be a given.

inxs
12-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Yes Damages is a good serie

StonyArabia
02-16-2014, 06:16 AM
Degrassi would be good if you have not watched it, the old ones they are amazing.

DeaththeKid
02-16-2014, 06:25 AM
Rome, Vikings, Spartacus, The White Queen, House of Cards, Game of Thrones.

Those are some off the top of my head, yes I like historical shows :)

SkyBurn
02-16-2014, 06:27 AM
Game of Thrones, Orange is the New Black, Archer.

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 06:45 AM
Vikings (History....new season premieres this month)
Shameless (Showtime....it's also my sig)....hilarious...some of the humor is pretty crude though :)
Masters of Sex (Showtime)....you might really like this actually :)
If you are into watching a series that has already ended....my HIGHEST recommendations go to HBO's Six Feet Under. It is my all time favorite series:) Very dark humor as you might have gathered from the title :) Created by the same guy who does True Blood and American Beauty.

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 06:46 AM
Rome, Vikings, Spartacus, The White Queen, House of Cards, Game of Thrones.

Those are some of the top of my head, yes I like historical shows :)Game of Thrones is fantasy though isn't it? I've never been interested in that show because it seemed too fantastical for my taste lol. It has a HUGE following though

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Anything by Bryan Fuller - Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, Hannibal.

Hmm, Damages maybe - serious show.

Ummm... anything by Joss Whedon, but that should be a given.

How many seasons did Damages end up having? I saw seasons 1 and 2. Part of 3 perhaps but I never got through all of it after.

Weedman
02-16-2014, 06:51 AM
I recommend this new HBO series called True Detective with Mathew McConnaughy and Woodie Harrelson about a Satanic serial killer in Louisiana

They play 2 cops after the killer but McConnaughy's character is just as fucking crazy as the killer if not more.

good show and keeps you guessing too.

cant wait for True Blood and Game of Thrones to come back too

also the new season or continuation of the Walking Dead on AMC has started :)

Weedman
02-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Peaky Blinders and The Wire if you haven't seen it yet. loved the wire

and also loved that BBC show "Luther" with Idris Elba, one of the best shows EVER!

Weedman
02-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Game of Thrones is fantasy though isn't it? I've never been interested in that show because it seemed too fantastical for my taste lol. It has a HUGE following though but it has alot of human drama and stuff, It has a fantasy setting , thats all.

very good show

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 06:57 AM
I recommend this new HBO series called True Detective with Mathew McConnaughy and Woodie Harrelson about a Satanic serial killer in Louisiana

They play 2 cops after the killer but McConnaughy's character is just as fucking crazy as the killer if not more.

good show and keeps you guessing too.

cant wait for True Blood and Game of Thrones to come back too

also the new season or continuation of the Walking Dead on AMC has started :)

What is it with vampire/zombie shows lol. True Blood was created by the same guy that does my favorite series.....just that True Blood is all about Vampires so I just can't do it lol

DeaththeKid
02-16-2014, 06:59 AM
Game of Thrones is fantasy though isn't it? I've never been interested in that show because it seemed too fantastical for my taste lol. It has a HUGE following though

I didn't mean my whole list was history. House of Cards and Game of Thrones isn't.

Weedman
02-16-2014, 07:06 AM
What is it with vampire/zombie shows lol. True Blood was created by the same guy that does my favorite series.....just that True Blood is all about Vampires so I just can't do it lol
well its about Vampires and sex......:)

you could do that, Im sure

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
well its about Vampires and sex......:)

you could do that, Im sureno vampires

Atlantic Islander
02-16-2014, 09:01 PM
no vampires

Is there any particular reason? You're missing out on two perfect shows (Btvs/Ats) because of this.

rhiannon
02-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Is there any particular reason? You're missing out on two perfect shows (Btvs/Ats) because of this.
I just think vampire based themes are not my thing.

Weedman
02-16-2014, 10:37 PM
no vampires :puppy_dp:

Weedman
02-16-2014, 10:38 PM
I just think vampire based themes are not my thing. Vikings but not Vampires ?:confused:

you Alaskans are a funny bunch,:p

lol

jk

what about the sex? you can do that part of it, right?

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Vikings but not Vampires ?:confused:

you Alaskans are a funny bunch,:p

lol

jk

what about the sex? you can do that part of it, right?
Sex is great:thumb001:

Atlantic Islander
02-17-2014, 02:10 AM

In those particular two shows it's just metaphor, the monster of the week is just a means to and end. People even study the show in college. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies)

Weedman
02-17-2014, 02:24 AM
Sex is great:thumb001: do you like having a guy GENTLY bite you on the neck? and Um......well you know. (down further) :nicetongue

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 02:34 AM
do you like having a guy GENTLY bite you on the neck? and Um......well you know. (down further) :nicetongue

No vampires. They're fake. They have no appeal.
Historical series are different for obvious reasons.

Weedman
02-17-2014, 02:40 AM
No vampires. They're fake. They have no appeal.
Historical series are different for obvious reasons. that NOT what I asked and you KNOW it!

lol

Oneeye
02-17-2014, 02:42 AM
Game of Thrones is fantasy though isn't it? I've never been interested in that show because it seemed too fantastical for my taste lol. It has a HUGE following though

Game of Thrones is loosely based on the War of the Roses. Yeah, it is fantasy, but but magic saving the day is kept to a minimum. If a character has overwhelming odds against them, they tend to actually die.

blklady2013
02-17-2014, 02:42 AM
Degrassi would be good if you have not watched it, the old ones they are amazing.
"...whatever it takes!"
I grew up with Degrassi...

As for T.V. shows, I usually don't watch T.V., but lately I've been addicted to really corny Sci-fi series. Being Human and Bitten. I'm almost ashamed to admit to watching this mess, but I can't help myself. I never thought I'd be interested in the ongoing shenanigans of a ghost, a vampire and a werewolf living together....at least not on t.v. (I mean fantasy is my reading genre)
Otherwise, I got nothing, unless you count Project Runway and anime...

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 02:46 AM
that NOT what I asked and you KNOW it!

lol

too bad lol

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 02:47 AM
Game of Thrones is loosely based on the War of the Roses. Yeah, it is fantasy, but but magic saving the day is kept to a minimum. If a character has overwhelming odds against them, they tend to actually die.You mean the film war of the roses? The one about the nasty divorce?

blklady2013
02-17-2014, 02:51 AM
Game of Thrones is loosely based on the War of the Roses. Yeah, it is fantasy, but but magic saving the day is kept to a minimum. If a character has overwhelming odds against them, they tend to actually die. See I'm afraid to touch Game of Thrones, because I'm a bit of a book snob. I was on George R.R. Martin for years before HBO showed up and I'm scared I'll be disappointed by the t.v. adaptations. I'd probably throw a similar hissyfit if they ever decided to adapt Neil Gaiman's Sandman...

Oneeye
02-17-2014, 02:54 AM
You mean the film war of the roses? The one about the nasty divorce?

LOL. No, the conflict in medieval England known as the War of the Roses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses

Weedman
02-17-2014, 02:56 AM
See I'm afraid to touch Game of Thrones, because I'm a bit of a book snob. I was on George R.R. Martin for years before HBO showed up and I'm scared I'll be disappointed by the t.v. adaptations. I'd probably throw a similar hissyfit if they ever decided to adapt Neil Gaiman's Sandman... Ned Stark got his head cut off in the very first season on the TV series. Dont know how if that's how it worked out in the book series or not, but......it was shocking to say the least

and the Dragon mother Queen is the baddest bitch ( and best looking) on the show now. She'll probably take the throne in the end

Oneeye
02-17-2014, 02:57 AM
See I'm afraid to touch Game of Thrones, because I'm a bit of a book snob. I was on George R.R. Martin for years before HBO showed up and I'm scared I'll be disappointed by the t.v. adaptations. I'd probably throw a similar hissyfit if they ever decided to adapt Neil Gaiman's Sandman...

I've fallen off the wagon for reading ASoI&F in the middle of A Feast for Crows, but the few episodes that I've seen of A Game of Thrones tv series seems to be pretty faithful to the book. I need to get back to reading it. I own A Dance with Dragons but have yet to even open it!

Weedman
02-17-2014, 02:57 AM
You mean the film war of the roses? The one about the nasty divorce? thought you were a fan of history so WTF????

Atlantic Islander
02-17-2014, 02:58 AM
I will forever find this hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM

Weedman
02-17-2014, 02:58 AM
too bad lol

thats ok. Ill find out one way or another

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 03:00 AM
thought you were a fan of history so WTF????I am but doesn't mean I know everything duh

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Holy cow lol. Now I'm the tard. Have never heard about that conflict under that name anyway. Is it known by any other name?
Ok let me just go slink off into a corner and feel stupid for a while. :picard2:

blklady2013
02-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Ned Stark got his head cut off in the very first season on the TV series. Dont know how if that's how it worked out in the book series or not, but......it was shocking to say the least

and the Dragon mother Queen is the baddest bitch ( and best looking) on the show now. She'll probably take the throne in the end
George R.R. Martin is infamous for creating characters that readers relate to, only to off them in the next few chapters so that doesn't deviate from the series too much.

Nerd Zone Alert:
Also Danerys last surviving princess of the incestuous Targaryen house is a rather interesting character. But what I enjoy about the series is the ongoing conflicts that start to eat away at the individual dramas the characters face daily. Evil snow zombies from the North, crazy ass pirate people from the south, dragons to the West. Shit is real...lmao! I'm still waiting on some free time this summer to read his latest sequel. I pace myself because the wait between novels is painful...

blklady2013
02-17-2014, 03:04 AM
I've fallen off the wagon for reading ASoI&F in the middle of A Feast for Crows, but the few episodes that I've seen of A Game of Thrones tv series seems to be pretty faithful to the book. I need to get back to reading it. I own A Dance with Dragons but have yet to even open it!
I'm right there with you. I was just mentioning that to Weedman. I think we're just pacing ourselves because we know how long it takes for the next novel to hit the bookstands.

As for the T.V. series, if I'm not working overseas and I might do a Game of Thrones marathon or something...

Oneeye
02-17-2014, 03:05 AM
Holy cow lol. Now I'm the tard. Have never heard about that conflict under that name anyway. Is it known by any other name?

I don't think so, but I wouldn't know even if it was. It was when the Tudors took over the throne.

rhiannon
02-17-2014, 03:06 AM
thought you were a fan of history so WTF????

No need to rub my face in it. Embarrassed enough:rolleyes:

Atlantic Islander
02-17-2014, 03:07 AM
This scene from Angel is one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzr7JSUIIQE

Pjeter Pan
02-17-2014, 03:08 AM
You can never go wrong with a classic show like the sopranos

Atlantic Islander
02-17-2014, 03:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57M4OhdsAFM

Anglojew
02-17-2014, 03:58 AM
See I'm afraid to touch Game of Thrones, because I'm a bit of a book snob. I was on George R.R. Martin for years before HBO showed up and I'm scared I'll be disappointed by the t.v. adaptations. I'd probably throw a similar hissyfit if they ever decided to adapt Neil Gaiman's Sandman...

It's very close to the books. Worth watching!

blklady2013
02-17-2014, 04:05 AM
It's very close to the books. Worth watching!

I think I'm going to check it out. Thanks! Even some of my die-hard Martin friends agree with you so I'm putting the entire series in my Netflix cue right next to Reboot. Staayyy frosty!

Sarmatian
02-17-2014, 04:26 AM
Vikings are awesome, waiting for 2nd season. Game of Thrones obviously worth watching.

Same here, they are nasty repulsive creatures that have to be eliminated no matter what.

Caismeachd
02-17-2014, 06:47 AM
Dexter is a good show up until season 5 and then it starts to fall apart a little. It's still entertaining though.

SkyBurn
02-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Dexter is a good show up until season 5 and then it starts to fall apart a little. It's still entertaining though.

Season 5 is great, dunno what you're talking about. Seasons 1-5 are great, and then it dives off the deep end.

Atlantic Islander
02-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Better than all your favs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMFmCHh6deE

Dombra
02-20-2014, 09:32 PM
Treme!!!

Prisoner Of Ice
02-20-2014, 09:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57M4OhdsAFM

The Zeppo is my favorite episode maybe. Xander always cracks me up.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-20-2014, 09:42 PM
no vampires

My mom hates vampires because they are fake but she finds dexter perfectly plausible. I told her a vampire movie was about a serial killer, and she enjoyed it til the end when it became obvious he was supernatural.

rhiannon
02-21-2014, 03:46 AM
My mom hates vampires because they are fake but she finds dexter perfectly plausible. I told her a vampire movie was about a serial killer, and she enjoyed it til the end when it became obvious he was supernatural.Dexter isn't a vampire though is he?

Mortimer
02-21-2014, 03:50 AM
Big Bang Theory, How i met your mother, Some Documentary like Galileo or Welt der Wunder (but German), Two and a Half Men, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, maybe CSI Miami CSI New York etc. Criminal Intent, thats what i watch usually

Aurora
02-21-2014, 05:00 AM
Banged Up Abroad/ Locked Up Abroad is a good show, though not a series.

Atlantic Islander
02-23-2014, 09:35 PM
My mom hates vampires because they are fake but she finds dexter perfectly plausible. I told her a vampire movie was about a serial killer, and she enjoyed it til the end when it became obvious he was supernatural.

Lol.

Prisoner Of Ice
02-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Dexter isn't a vampire though is he?

She watched a vampire movie, and she loved it til the end because I told her it's a guy who only THINKS he is a vampire.....

Kemalisté
04-21-2014, 10:29 PM
Shameless, New Girl, Bones.

cocoNN
04-21-2014, 10:35 PM
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine (very funny)
- Masters of Sex
- 2 Broke Girls
- Criminal Minds
- True Detective
- My Mad Fat Diary
- The Mindy Project

XvThomas_LysergicV
12-18-2014, 05:23 AM
This isn't a new tv show or anything,since the first episode came out in 2007 but you should consider checking out the show "Chuck". Once you start the series, you probably wont be able to stop watching it until you reach the last episode like I did. I haven't watched it in a while but im thinking about starting over and re-watching the whole entire series over again. I don't feel like explaining to you what the show is about, so here is a link to Wikipedia if you want to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_%28TV_series%29

SkyBurn
12-18-2014, 12:01 PM
This isn't a new tv show or anything,since the first episode came out in 2007 but you should consider checking out the show "Chuck". Once you start the series, you probably wont be able to stop watching it until you reach the last episode like I did. I haven't watched it in a while but im thinking about starting over and re-watching the whole entire series over again. I don't feel like explaining to you what the show is about, so here is a link to Wikipedia if you want to read up on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_%28TV_series%29

I love Chuck! The ending was so good.

And Sarah <3

http://images1.makefive.com/images/entertainment/television/top-5-tv-characters-female/agent-sarah-walker-chuck-7.jpg

Manifest Destiny
12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
These are what I consider the five best shows on TV today:

1) Game Of Thrones
2) Black Sails
3) The Americans
4) The Walking Dead
5) American Horror Story

King Claus
12-18-2014, 12:04 PM
boardwalkempire , hell on wheels, fringe, deadwood

Queen B
12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
The Affair
The Blacklist
The Good Wife
How to get away with Murder
Sherlock
Elementary
Arrow
True Detective
House of Cards
The Fall

Manifest Destiny
12-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Vikings is also a great show.

Nerdryk
12-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Mostly shit recommendations. Now for the correct answer:

The Sopranos
The Wire
True Detective
Fargo
Hannibal
Game of Thrones
Olive Kitteridge

Maybe Broadchurch and Breaking Bad; I've not yet seen them.

Zmey Gorynych
01-03-2015, 07:22 PM
The Leftovers and The Missing - 2 brilliant 2014 TV series.

StormBringer
03-18-2015, 11:12 AM
Better Call Saul is, unsurprisingly, pretty damn good so far.

I'll be looking up to Ash vs Evil Dead as well.Heard they've got Lucy Lawless on the roster now.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/ev.jpg

Iloko
04-20-2017, 08:02 PM
I'm keen on watching this new series on NatGeo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SICLBlHizUY