PDA

View Full Version : Christianity in South Korea

Loki
12-20-2013, 05:58 AM
Christianity is South Korea's largest religion, accounting for more than half of all South Korean religious adherents. There are approximately 13.7 million Christians in South Korea today, with almost two-thirds of Christians belonging to Protestant churches, while about 37% belong to the Roman Catholic Church. Protestantism has proportionally declined since the 1980s in favour of Roman Catholicism. Presbyterian denominations are the biggest Christian denominations in South Korea. About 9 million people belongs to the 100 different Presbyterian churches, among the biggest denominations are the Presbyterian Church in Korea (HapDong), Presbyterian Church in Korea (TongHap), the Presbyterian Church in Korea (Koshin). For more information see Presbyterianism in South Korea. South Korea is also the second-largest missionary-sending nation, after the United States.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2edmduh.jpg

As Christianity increased, so has religious intolerance.

Some Korean Protestant Christians have expressed hostility to Buddhism. There have been several dozen incidents of arson and vandalism against Buddhist shrines and facilities over the last two decades, including the destruction of several large temples. In some of these incidents, the perpetrators were identified as Protestants, or left messages denouncing "idol worship."

StonyArabia
12-20-2013, 06:00 AM
How did Christianity become the most popular religion of Korea ? European missionaries ?

Loki
12-20-2013, 06:06 AM
How did Christianity become the most popular religion of Korea ? European missionaries ?

Roman Catholic missionaries did not arrive in Korea until 1794, a decade after the return of the first baptized Korean from a visit to Beijing. However, the writings of the Jesuit missionary, Matteo Ricci, who was resident at the imperial court in Beijing, had been brought to Korea from China in the 17th century. It appears that scholars of the Sirhak, or practical learning, school were interested in these writings. Largely because converts refused to perform Confucian ancestor rites, the government prohibited the proselytization of Christianity. Some Catholics were executed during the early 19th century, but the anti-Christian law was not strictly enforced. By the 1860s, there were some 17,500 Roman Catholics in the country. There followed a more rigorous persecution, in which thousands of Christians died, which continued until 1884.

Protestant missionaries entered Korea during the 1880s and, along with Catholic priests, converted a remarkable number of Koreans. Methodist and Presbyterian missionaries were especially successful. They established schools, universities, hospitals, and orphanages and played a significant role in the modernization of the country. During the Japanese colonial occupation, Christians were in the front ranks of the struggle for independence. Factors contributing to the growth of Protestantism included the degenerate state of Korean Buddhism, the efforts made by educated Christians to reconcile Christian and Confucian values (the latter being viewed as purely a social ethic rather than a religion), the encouragement of self-support and self-government among members of the Korean church, and the identification of Christianity with Korean nationalism.

A large number of Christians lived in the northern part of the peninsula where Confucian influence was not as strong as in the south. Before 1948 P'yongyang was an important Christian center: one-sixth of its population of about 300,000 people were converts. Following the establishment of a communist regime in the north, however, most Christians had to flee to South Korea or face persecution.

The profusion of church steeples in most South Korean cities has often attracted attention. Christianity, which initially got a foothold in Korea in the late 18th century, grew exponentially in the 1970s and 1980s, and despite slower growth in the 1990s, caught up to and then surpassed Buddhism in the number of practicing adherents. Christians are especially strong in the west of the country including Seoul, Gyeonggi and Honam regions. Seoul is home to Yoido Full Gospel Church, the largest pentecostal megachurch in the country.

Dombra
12-20-2013, 07:24 AM
Kim il sung and many famous Koreans come from Christian families. Is it like in Japan where people think Christianity is hip?

As Christianity increased, so has religious intolerance.

Some Korean Protestant Christians have expressed hostility to Buddhism. There have been several dozen incidents of arson and vandalism against Buddhist shrines and facilities over the last two decades, including the destruction of several large temples. In some of these incidents, the perpetrators were identified as Protestants, or left messages denouncing "idol worship."

Sounds lour our good ol´ Muslims, Christians are no better :thumb001:

Graham
12-21-2013, 07:37 AM
Protestantism came to Korea in the 19th century. Lay people like Suh Sang-Yoon and Baek Hong-Joon spread the Gospel. Suh was converted by a Scottish missionary. In 1883 the first Christian community was formed by Suh. The first American missionary was Horace N. Allen in 1884 of the Northern Presbyterians. He started medical work a year later, Horace Underwood joined this effort. In 1889 the Presbyterian Church of Victoria, in 1892 the Presbyterian Church USA, in 1898 the Presbyterian Church in Canada started mission work. Together they formed the Council of Mission of Presbyterian Churches and opened a theological seminary in Pyongyang in 1901. In 1907 the Independent Presbytery of Jesus Christ was formed, and seven Korean pastors were ordained. In 1921 the general assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Chosun was formed and sent seven missionaries to China.

During the Japanese occupation, churches from various Christian denominations faced several hardships. The Shinto rite of worship was forced. Many Presbyterians resisted and fought for independence. After the Second World War in the north, Presbyterian churches were dissolved, in the south they were reconstructed in 1946. The 33rd general assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Chosun was held in 1947. Two years later the name, Presbyterian Church in Korea, was adopted.

The following year the Presbyterian church grew significantly. Many reasons can be given for this astonishing development. In the first place the Christian missions in Korea, in contrast with other countries, were not identified with colonial power. The Christian message was brought to Korea at a time when the religious and cultural heritage of the country had lost much of inner strength. Important was the moebius method. They urged each convert to become an evangelist and convert others. Koreans developed a strong commitment to the Christian faith. A special feature of Korean church life is the dawn prayer meeting. An important factor was in church growth was the revival movement. Koreans established their own churches not just in Korea but in other parts of the world; they send an increasing number of missionaries. Several thousand Korean Presbyterian missionaries are active in many other countries. Growth was accompanied by schisms.

After World War II the Presbyterian Church in Korea (Koshin) and the Presbyterian Church in Korea (JaeGun) were formed.A few years later the conservative and progressive parts of the Presbyterian Church separated. As a result the Presbyterian Church in Korea (TongHap) and the Presbyterian Church in Korea (HapDong) were formed. From these bodies several denominations separated, today there are more than 100 Presbyterian churches, some of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyterianism_in_South_Korea

Rambo07
12-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Korean Christians are nutjobs for the most part, they habitually attack atheists and buddhists there. For the most part most are self hating of the local culture.

Loki
12-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Korean Christians are nutjobs for the most part, they habitually attack atheists and buddhists there. For the most part most are self hating of the local culture.

Yes. I hope it dies out.

Also, there are more than 100 million Christians in China.

RandoBloom
12-22-2013, 01:23 AM
West using its grip on Korea to spread their religion

Baluarte
12-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Haven't met any.
I've seen some Asian oriented portraits of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus though. They were Japanese pieces however. I must admit I'm interested.

A bit sad however that even if our missionaries arrived 100 years before the Protestants, Roman Catholicism isn't the majority Christian denomination.

Loki
12-22-2013, 01:29 AM
Malta, why are you thumbing me down? I'm providing factual information.

Loki
12-22-2013, 01:31 AM
Haven't met any.
I've seen some Asian oriented portraits of the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus though. They were Japanese pieces however. I must admit I'm interested.

A bit sad however that even if our missionaries arrived 100 years before the Protestants, Roman Catholicism isn't the majority Christian denomination.

Catholicism will probably overtake Protestantism. Protestants are disrespectful towards Buddhists and atheists, Catholics not.

Rambo07
02-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Korean Protestants are fucking crazy. I dont blame the Chinese govt for keeping a lock on Protestant groups in China, they attack Atheists ( which many Chinese tend to be) and Buddhists. Christianity overall would never be big in mainland China, even if communism is not there, because China has its own very rich cultural traditions and values.

South Korean Christians routinely ostracize Korean Buddhists from positions of power.

Óttar
02-24-2014, 03:47 AM
I can't believe South Korea is 1/3 Christian. WTF?

Loki
02-24-2014, 04:24 AM
I can't believe South Korea is 1/3 Christian. WTF?

In some parts they are the majority.

arcticwolf
02-24-2014, 04:31 AM
Ah the enlightened Abrahamic religions. You know you all sound like dumbasses to a Buddhist right? LOL

Loki
02-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Ah the enlightened Abrahamic religions. You know you all sound like dumbasses to a Buddhist right? LOL

Well in South Korea Christians have formed a major movement towards independence, and resistance against the Japanese occupation.