PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe that mind and body are separate entities (Dualism)

Corvus
12-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Do you believe that mind and body are separate entities (Dualism) or do you believe that they are in a state of unity? (Monism)

de Burgh II
01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
I would have to say monism because we can't exist without the other. The body and mind work as one that helps define us as human beings. For example, we need our brains to help trigger reflexes the enable our bodies to react to the perceived "threat" which can be real or imagined. In all, whether it be our legs, arms, mind or eyes for that matter, it is safe to assume that the body is dependent on the mind and vice versa.

Methusalem
01-06-2014, 09:35 PM
Either yes or no. Or maybe something between? I think there are mutual influences. The way how you perceive your own body influences your mind/frame work which leads to your behavior towards your surroundings and the way you think might influences the shape of your body. Do people act dominant-aggressive because they are aware of the fact that they look intimidating or because there is a genetic determined correlation between your behavior and somatic appearance? This goes back to in modern day mainstream psychology conses dismissed 'pseudo-scientific' field of physiognomy. Where physiognomists claimed to recognize certain recurring physical feature combination correlate with certain behavior pattern which are based on specific personality types.

http://www.bookdrum.com/images/books/47778_m.jpg

dude
01-06-2014, 09:40 PM
You need your brain to control your body, otherwise it is like having a car without and engine.

Hierarchalist
02-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Ahhhh....the mind/body dichotomy is how liberal, conformists and culturally indoctrinated minds claim that the environment that produced physical differences had no effect on the mind or on mental potentials and characteristics. Only the obtuse and those with an agenda would hold onto the position that the human species has not diverged, due to its past, into different hereditary branches; call them races or tribes or sub-groupings or whatever.

Like in feminism where the title of female is retained while they desperately scramble to reinterpret and selectively choose what this means by eliminating or denying its natural role. Feminists use this Judeo-Christian dichotomy of mind/body to place femininity in the body while the mind remains free from its impact. Then, even if you point out at the dismal performance of females in the arts, in philosophy and in other creative innovating endeavors they use the "paternalistic repression" card like Negroes use the race card to explain their own intellectual failings.

CordedWhelp
02-02-2014, 05:54 PM
This won't be agreed upon too universally here, but the mind is seated within the spirit. The flesh body is a vehicle closely reflecting the spirit (or at least according to the biological material- also situated within the spirit as it is the body). People who have had the experience of leaving their bodies will tell you that they remained conscious and thinking (often not even realizing they left until a few moments later). This in and of itself tells one that the body does not seat consciousness. The brain is a computer, but it is not the beginning or the end of the self.

Liac
02-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Yes, I have body of an average introverted shy geek, but burning soul.

arcticwolf
02-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I don't believe in anything, believes are useless, even harmful. What I know is that we do not know all there is to know about reality. Can non material reality exist, why not? Duality is a fact for reality we find ourselves in, does it extend into the areas of reality we are not aware of yet, more than likely.

The only certainty is, nothing is what it seems.