PDA

View Full Version : Abortion and the Death Penalty: Are the two thought patterns linked?

Frigga
11-13-2009, 10:13 PM
What are your thoughts about supporters of abortion who also oppose the death penalty. What about the reverse? Do you find the support of one thought pattern over the other to be hypocrisy? Do you find these thought patterns to be mutually inclusive or exclusive? Please explain your stance.

Poltergeist
11-13-2009, 10:15 PM
The first ones are certainly hypocrites.

Birka
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Babies are innocent, murderers and rapists are evil.

Svipdag
11-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I oppose abortion and support the death penalty. What harm has an unborn child done to anyone ? What risk to society does an unborn child pose to society ? The second question is, of course, unanswerable.

The murderer and the rapist have already demonstrated what harm they can do and have done and what risks they pose to society. They are being punished for what they HAVE DONE. As I said in a different context in another thread, there is no recidivism among the dead.

To favour slaying the innocent and sparing the guilty is INSANE.

Murphy
11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
:coffee:

Regards,
The Papist.

Jamt
11-13-2009, 10:40 PM

The Lawspeaker
11-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Thou shall not kill. What's so difficult about those words ?

I never understood people that claimed to be against abortion (and for religious reasons wanted to deny women the right to self-determination) but were very much in favor of the death penalty.

Murphy
11-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I never understood people that claimed to be against abortion (and for religious reasons wanted to deny women the right to self-determination) but were very much in favor of the death penalty.

Of course, I being an evil papist, want to rob women of their right to self-determination, it is nothing to do with protecting the right of an unborn child to life.

Seriously Tristan, fuck you.

Regards,
The Papist.

The Lawspeaker
11-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Of course, I being an evil papist, want to rob women of their right to self-determination, it is nothing to do with protecting the right of an unborn child to life.

Seriously Tristan, fuck you.

Regards,
The Papist.
You are making it personal again are you ?

That's because you don't understand the point, Jon Paul. Let me spell it out for you. If you are a Christian you follow what God said in the Bible. And what does the good book say ?

"Thou shalt not murder". The commandment is as easy to understand as it gets and it doesn't need to be spelled out anymore. And being in favor of the death penalty while being anti-abortion is hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

Murphy
11-13-2009, 10:57 PM
You are making it personal again are you ?

That's because you don't understand the point, Jon Paul. Let me spell it out for you. If you are a Christian you follow what God said in the Bible. And what does the good book say ?
The commandment is as simply as it gets and it doesn't need to be spelled out anymore. And being in favor of the death penalty while being anti-abortion is hypocrisy. Plain and simple.

http://www.roman-catholic.com/Roman/Articles/CapitalPunishment.htm

Regards,
The Papist.

Óttar
11-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Christians in favour of capital punishment.
Remember this?

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/crucifiction-jesus-christ.jpg

:rolleyes:

The Lawspeaker
11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.roman-catholic.com/Roman/Articles/CapitalPunishment.htm

Regards,
The Papist.
That's shows that the Bible and therefore Christianity is actually a collection of contradictions. How can the Ten Commandments say that all forms of killing are wrong while other parts stating otherwise.

;)Looks like the editor needed to work a bit on that Hebrew storybook before selling it don't you think ?

Brynhild
11-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Two remarks have already been made about unborn children being innocent, and I agree with that. I oppose abortion but it isn't my right to tell anyone else what to do in that regard.

I'm for the death penalty when there is beyond reasonable doubt that f.e. a multiple murdering psychopath will continue to commit such crimes. He will never be rehabilitated and he is a burden to tax payers on an already overcrowded prison system. It is the only way that their crimes would come to an end.

Germanicus
11-13-2009, 11:18 PM
Abortion should be only on medical grounds, Murderers who have been found guilty by scientific proof and witnessed as doing so should sentenced to death, quite rightly, hell i would volunteer to pull the switch myself, and sleep soundly afterwards.

Thulsa Doom
11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
I dunno, I´m a hypocrite and a realist.

I believe abortion is unethical and I don´t see a problem with the death penalty.

That said, I think abortion should be legal as it is a method against unwanted children, and therefore good for the society. Death penalty on the other hand should not be legal in a modern civilization. Prison ought to be enough repellent.

Óttar
11-13-2009, 11:22 PM
How can the Ten Commandments say that all forms of killing are wrong...
That was written only in regard to other Jews.

The Lawspeaker
11-13-2009, 11:35 PM
That was written only in regard to other Jews.
Then the three desert dogma's are even more hypocritical then I thought.

Ulf
11-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Thou shall not kill. What's so difficult about those words ?

I was always under the impression that the commandment was Thou shall not murder.

The Old Testament's examples of killings sanctioned by God are often cited in defense of the view that "murder" is a more accurate translation. Additionally, the Hebrew word for "kill" is הרג (harog), while the Hebrew word for "murder" is רצח (retzach), which is found in the Ten Commandments לא תרצח (lo tirtzach). In the fullness of the Old Testament Exodus 20:13 is abundantly evidenced as prohibiting unjust killing, rather than a universal injunction against all killing, as retzach is never used in reference to the slaying of animals, nor the taking of life in war, while its most frequent use is in reference to involuntary manslaughter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Involuntary_manslaughter) and secondarily for murderers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murderers).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Commandments#Killing_or_murder

SwordoftheVistula
11-14-2009, 08:27 AM
You can rationalize either position. The conservatives have outlined their position pretty well here, and from a liberal perspective any person no matter how scummy has a 'right' to live but a fetus is not a person.

Death penalty on the other hand should not be legal in a modern civilization. Prison ought to be enough repellent.

Unless they escape. Also, they cost money.

anonymaus
11-14-2009, 09:53 AM
hey look it's an abortion debate on the internet

:runs:

Cato
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
What does hanging a creep from the niding pole have to do with abortion?

Hrolf Kraki
11-20-2009, 04:10 PM
I oppose abortion and support the death penalty. What harm has an unborn child done to anyone ? What risk to society does an unborn child pose to society ? The second question is, of course, unanswerable.

The murderer and the rapist have already demonstrated what harm they can do and have done and what risks they pose to society. They are being punished for what they HAVE DONE. As I said in a different context in another thread, there is no recidivism among the dead.

To favour slaying the innocent and sparing the guilty is INSANE.

I see your point, but allow me to explain why I advocate abortion.

First of all, no one seeks an abortion who has planned the pregnancy. Abortions are restricted to those who did not plan the pregnancy. Now with this in mind, what sort of folk don't plan on getting pregnant? Oh all sorts, yes, but where is the majority? It's those social leeches who do nothing but smoke crack and procreate like bunnies, giving birth to children they cannot raise properly and end up having to give the child up to the state or to apply for social welfare to help care for their child. Fuck their child. I'd dispose of it before I'd pay a dollar for it, so why not just beat it to the punch and abort.

I'd rather pay $300 than $300,000.

Liffrea
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Abortion.....only if the woman's life is in danger or the child is going to be so severely disabled that it's quality of life is questionable. Beyond that I simply cannot accept the murder of a healthy baby as anything other than barbaric it's certainly, in my opinion, a stain on our supposed "civilisation".

The death penalty....for pre-meditated murder I think the death sentence is an option that should be exercised.