PDA

View Full Version : PM apologises to "Forgotten Australians"

Brynhild
11-15-2009, 08:57 PM
PM says sorry to 'Forgotten Australians'

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd will make a second national apology in Canberra later on Monday.

This time he will be saying sorry to the half-million so-called Forgotten Australians, who suffered as children in state and church-run institutions up to the late 1970s.

Almost 1,000 of the group will attend a ceremony at Parliament House to hear Mr Rudd and Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull offer an apology on behalf of the nation.

But the federal government won't be providing the Forgotten Australians with any financial compensation.

Instead it is helping survivors access counselling services and assisting the National Library of Australia to collect their stories for an oral history record.

Apology formalities will begin at 11am (AEDT) on Monday and will be broadcast live on television.

Meanwhile, the British government said on Sunday that Prime Minister Gordon Brown will apologise for 20th-century child migrant programs that saw thousands of poor British children sent to Australia, Canada and other former colonies until the 1960s. Many ended up in institutions or were sent to work as farm labourers.

Brown's office said officials would consult with representatives of the surviving children before making a formal apology next year.

The British government has estimated 150,000 British children may have been shipped abroad under a variety of programs that operated between the early 19th century and 1967.

A 2001 Australian report said between 6,000 and 30,000 children from Britain and Malta, often taken from unmarried mothers or impoverished families, were sent alone to Australia as migrants during the 20th century. Some of the children were told, wrongly, that they were orphans.

The migration was intended to stop the children being a burden on the British state while supplying the receiving countries with potential workers. A 1998 British parliamentary inquiry noted: "A further motive was racist: the importation of 'good white stock' was seen as a desirable policy objective in the developing British Colonies."

British Children's Secretary Ed Balls said the child migrant policy was "a stain on our society."

"The apology is symbolically very important," he told Sky News television.

"I think it is important that we say to the children who are now adults and older people and to their offspring that this is something that we look back on in shame," he said.

"It would never happen today. But I think it is right that as a society when we look back and see things which we now know were morally wrong, that we are willing to say we're sorry."

Sandra Anker, who was sent to Australia from Britain when she was six, said the British government "have a lot to answer for".

"We've suffered all our lives," she told the BBC. "For the government of England to say sorry to us, it makes it right - even if it's late, it's better than not at all."

Source (http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/6475471/uk-australia-apology-to-child-migrants/)

I've grown up knowing about these unfortunate migrants. I couldn't even begin to fathom how bad they had it. Yet another smear in British history! :mad:

Eldwin
11-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I can't believe this happened as late as 1967.

Treffie
11-16-2009, 09:02 AM
Yep I agree, it's shameful.

Loki
11-16-2009, 11:54 AM
The "good old days", eh? :rolleyes:

Motörhead Remember Me
11-19-2009, 05:49 AM
Yet another smear in British history! :mad:

There are so many, that I wonder if not the British are the worst violators of humanity after the Soviets and Nazis...

Beorn
11-19-2009, 12:02 PM
There are so many, that I wonder if not the British are the worst violators of humanity after the Soviets and Nazis...

Every nation living on this planet has committed violations against humanity at some point in its history.

Idun
11-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Are they referring to the whites there who are being replaced with asians? There are many forgotten people.

Brynhild
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Are they referring to the whites there who are being replaced with asians? There are many forgotten people.

Quite simply, no. The program existed long before even the White Australia policy was brought in.

Every nation living on this planet has committed violations against humanity at some point in its history.

Aye, but it will never justify the fact that they shipped out their own people - kids no less - for their own selfish gain! :mad:

Fortis in Arduis
11-19-2009, 10:30 PM
There was a 'racist' policy to encourage white migration to the diaspora, but that is almost irrelevant to the matter at hand.

We may pay taxes and we may work for a wage but only when we are arrested or have our children taken away from us do we realise how commodified we are.

In the 1970s there were also adoption quotas to be fulfilled, and a lack of children available due to the newly widespread use of contraception.

Subsequently, the threshold for adoption was lowered and many children were taken away unnecessarily, just to fulfill quotas, particularly towards the late 1970s.

Documentaries were made: one was called 'Fading the mother out': no link available.

Apologies were obtained from the European Court of Human Rights.

They mean nothing.

11-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Get real. :rolleyes:

People used to be made of sterner stuff. And it's not like they would have had a bed of roses in an institution in England.

How many of those people would return to Britain now?

Albion
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Get real. :rolleyes:
People used to be made of sterner stuff. And it's not like they would have had a bed of roses in an institution in England.
How many of those people would return to Britain now?
True - the original plan was probably alright in theory - ship these poor kids of to a new life and nicer life in Australia, but it just didn't turn out that way. That is what the apology was for.
Australia had a part to play to, they could have refused and adviced against it, but they went along with it so they're just as bad - hence both Australia and the UK apologized.

Albion
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Quite simply, no. The program existed long before even the White Australia policy was brought in.

Aye, but it will never justify the fact that they shipped out their own people - kids no less - for their own selfish gain! :mad:
I don't think there was anything to gain from it. The kids needed new homes, the orphanages were packed so the idea was probably to give them a nice life in Australia.
As I said before, it just didn't work like that.
Besides, have you noticed how most of the bad things happened to them when they were IN AUSTRALIA?
So Australia's isn't so much a angel as your making it sound either.

Albion
04-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Your nation would have a few smears in its history if your people had actually left the forests and colonized a 1/4 of the world!

But no, the stay-at-home Finns were nowhere to be seen in the colonial age, the age when Europeans were at their height - you missed it.

SwordoftheVistula
04-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Sandra Anker, who was sent to Australia from Britain when she was six, said the British government "have a lot to answer for".

"We've suffered all our lives," she told the BBC.

Is living in Australia that bad :confused:

Treffie
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM

"We've suffered all our lives," she told the BBC.

Is living in Australia that bad :confused:

I should imagine that it is, especially after years of physical and emotional abuse - I guess she's hurting a lot inside.

Albion
04-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I should imagine that it is, especially after years of physical and emotional abuse - I guess she's hurting a lot inside.

Yes, thats what I mean. It wasn't intended to be a bad program. In theory it was meant to be good, sending these poor kids of to a new life with new families or guardians in Australia.
The people who planned this probably thought it was a great idea. Sadly they didn't think ahead about "what if..." questions and so these kids were allowed to be abused.
So in essence a well-to-do idea was flawed by bad judgement and lack of checks and such.

So yes, both British and Australian goverments owe these people big apologies and more for not ensuring that the system was implemented properly.

Brynhild
04-10-2010, 11:33 PM
I don't think there was anything to gain from it. The kids needed new homes, the orphanages were packed so the idea was probably to give them a nice life in Australia.
As I said before, it just didn't work like that.
Besides, have you noticed how most of the bad things happened to them when they were IN AUSTRALIA?
So Australia's isn't so much a angel as your making it sound either.

And, for Australia's part, our prime minister also apologised. It still didn't give the powers that be the right to lie to these children about their parents being dead (as it happened to some of them) as an excuse to ship them off to parts unknown. Since you're a Pom and I'm an Aussie, I think it's best that we agree to disagree on who was right or wrong.

Albion
04-11-2010, 11:02 AM
And, for Australia's part, our prime minister also apologised. It still didn't give the powers that be the right to lie to these children about their parents being dead (as it happened to some of them) as an excuse to ship them off to parts unknown. Since you're a Pom and I'm an Aussie, I think it's best that we agree to disagree on who was right or wrong.

Okay, I agree. :thumbs up