PDA

View Full Version : Claretta Petacci'd diaries , letters with Mussolini

Tony
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
The letters between the Duce and his long time lover Claretta Petacci are just out...

ROME - Benito Mussolini was a fierce anti-Semite, who proudly said that his hatred for Jews preceded Adolf Hitler's and vowed to "destroy them all," according to previously unpublished diaries by the Fascist dictator's longtime mistress.

According to the diaries, Mussolini also talked about the warm reception he received from Hitler at the 1938 Munich conference — he called the German leader a "softy" — and attacked Pope Pius XI for his criticism of Nazism and Fascism.

On a more intimate note, Mussolini was explicit about his sexual appetites for his mistress and said he regretted having affairs with several other women.

Historians said the diaries appeared to be convincing and reinforced the image that Mussolini was strongly anti-Semitic. The Italian leader and his mistress were shot by partisans on April 28, 1945, and their bodies were displayed to a jeering crowd hanging upside-down from a gas station in a Milan square.

‘I have been a racist since 1921’
Many of the excerpts date to 1938, a crucial year during which Mussolini's Fascist regime passed the racial laws and Europe sealed its appeasement toward Nazi Germany at the Munich conference.

"I have been a racist since 1921. I don't know how they can think I'm imitating Hitler," Mussolini is quoted as boasting in August 1938. "We must give Italians a sense of race."

Italy's racial laws restricted the rights of Jews and expelled them from government, university and other fields.

In 1943, German troops occupied northern and central Italy, and thousands of Jews were deported. According to some researchers, there were 32,000 Jews in 1943 in Italy, of whom over 8,000 were deported to Nazi concentration camps.

"These disgusting Jews, I must destroy them all," Mussolini was quoted as saying by his lover in October 1938. At another point he calls them "enemies" and "reptiles," according to the excerpts.

Mussolini also denounced Pius XI, who saw the rise of anti-Semitism in the last years of his 1922-39 papacy, as harming the Catholic Church. Pius commissioned an encyclical to denounce racism and the violent nationalism of Germany, but he died before releasing it and it was never published.

The Fascist dictator said that "there never was a pope as harmful to religion" as Pius XI and accused him of doing "undignified things, such as saying we are similar to the Semites," according to the excerpts.

For years, the Vatican has struggled to defend Pius' successor — the wartime Pope Pius XII — against claims he didn't do enough to save Jews from the Holocaust.

Next days I'm gonna post and translate single excerpts about what Mussolini thought of the Jews , the Germans , the French and the British.

Gooding
11-18-2009, 03:04 AM
Sounds rivetting!:)

YeshAtid
01-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Didn't he have a Jewish mistress?