PDA

View Full Version : Convalidation

Gooding
11-18-2009, 12:10 AM
Shortly after I returned to the Catholic Church, I discovered one impediment to my receiving Communion: I was married outside of the Church. Now, my wife and I are going to remove that impediment by having our marriage convalidated by the Catholic Church. Tammy and I made an appointment to see Fr. Cilinski this Friday and hopefully we'll have our marriage convalidated and our rings blessed.

Lyfing
11-18-2009, 12:22 AM
Surely not, Thorulf..??

http://www.local1488.com/shop/catalog/images/Viking_Raven.jpg

Later,
-Lyfing

Osweo
11-18-2009, 12:38 AM
Hmm... My parents married in the registry office, but my Dad wants to remarry in a Catholic Church. Does the Roman Church not even recognise his earlier marriage? Am I to some extent a 'bastard' in their eyes? Would a potential half-brother have greater standing in the eyes of Rome?

I just might have a few things to say in the church when it finally goes ahead in that case... :cussing:flame

Gooding
11-18-2009, 12:41 AM
This will finally remove the last obstacle I have toward receiving Communion. My wife and I got married by a J.P., but the Church doesn't recognize that as valid, but even if I disagree with that assessment, I want my ring blessed, so my wife and I can go about our business. I'm not saying that I'll be the most religious Catholic in the world, but in a sense I can say that I voluntarily choose to return to my religious roots, thus bringing about full reconciliation with my father, my family, my in laws and the Tradition that has nourished me from childhood.

Sally
11-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Hmm... My parents married in the registry office, but my Dad wants to remarry in a Catholic Church. Does the Roman Church not even recognise his earlier marriage? Am I to some extent a 'bastard' in their eyes? Would a potential half-brother have greater standing in the eyes of Rome?

I just might have a few things to say in the church when it finally goes ahead in that case... :cussing:flame

I don't want to say anything offensive, but I'll try to explain what little I know about Catholic marriage laws. If I'm understanding correctly, your parents are divorced and your father wants to remarry in the Catholic Church? Were both your parents Catholic at the time of their wedding?

Catholics are bound by canon law regarding marriage, i.e. they must be married by a priest in the presence of two witnesses unless they receive a dispensation to be married elsewhere. If a Catholic marries in a registry office without the proper dispensation, that marriage would be considered invalid. However, the Church does recognise that marriages such as this (they're called putative marriages) were entered into with good faith and presumed to be valid in the eyes of the Church.

You are NOT considered a bastard by the Catholic Church (canon 1137 affirms this). Even if one's parents' marriage is annulled, it has no effect on the legitimacy of the children born of that union. I believe the legitimacy of children is strictly a civil and/or legal matter. Personally, I think all children are legitimate in the eyes of God. :)

Lutiferre
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM
I believe the legitimacy of children is strictly a civil and/or legal matter. Personally, I think all children are legitimate in the eyes of God. :)
Wasn't it the normative rule not more than a century ago, that bastard children were excluded from the priesthood?

Sally
11-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Wasn't it the normative rule not more than a century ago, that bastard children were excluded from the priesthood?

I think (though I am by no means an expert and have yet to verify this) that illegitimacy was an impediment to ordination, yes.

Osweo
11-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I don't want to say anything offensive,
:D Not at all; I'll take my quarrel up with the Pope himself! ;) I'm grateful for your taking the time to tell what you know.

but I'll try to explain what little I know about Catholic marriage laws. If I'm understanding correctly, your parents are divorced and your father wants to remarry in the Catholic Church? Were both your parents Catholic at the time of their wedding?
Just my Dad. My Mam's near fully English. Does that make a difference on the below?

Catholics are bound by canon law regarding marriage, i.e. they must be married by a priest in the presence of two witnesses unless they receive a dispensation to be married elsewhere. If a Catholic marries in a registry office without the proper dispensation, that marriage would be considered invalid. However, the Church does recognise that marriages such as this (they're called putative marriages) were entered into with good faith and presumed to be valid in the eyes of the Church.
So 'invalid' but 'somewhat valid'? More Danico?!?

You are NOT considered a bastard by the Catholic Church (canon 1137 affirms this). Even if one's parents' marriage is annulled, it has no effect on the legitimacy of the children born of that union. I believe the legitimacy of children is strictly a civil and/or legal matter.
Hmm... Good Job! :grumpy:

Personally, I think all children are legitimate in the eyes of God. :)
I hope you remember that dangerous bout of free thinking at your next confessional! :p

Sally
11-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Just my Dad. My Mam's near fully English. Does that make a difference on the below?

Yes, if your father was Catholic at the time of their wedding, it makes a difference.

If one or both of your parents happened to be Catholic at the time of the wedding (in this case, your father), then they'd be required to marry in front of a priest. The type of annulment one would receive in this scenario would be from a lack of canonical form. It's fairly simple to obtain and may take a few months at most (the individual has to provide a baptismal certificate as well as his marriage certificate and divorce decree).

However, if neither of your parents were Catholic at the time of their wedding (for instance, say they were both Anglicans or Methodists), they wouldn't be held to Catholic marriage laws, of course. Before applying to get a decree of nullity (annulment), the petitioner would have to see if he/she had grounds for the marriage to be examined (for instance, one partner never intended to be faithful, or was closed to having children). These cases (formal cases) are more complicated, and can take up to a few years to reach a decision, depending on the cooperation of those involved. The marriage tribunal isn't concerned so much with what happened during the course of the marriage; rather, they try to determine if some essential element was missing from the start.

Well, I don't want to bore you too much, Osweo! Hopefully, I provided a satisfactory answer. ;)

Gooding
12-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Well, the seminar my wife and I need to attend will be on January 9, at Our Lady of Good Counsel, in Vienna, VA.It's an all day course and my wife is going to turn this ring blessing into an " event". She will have the white dress, a present from me, we've issued invitations to guests.Whew!:) I didn't think that a ring blessing was going to be so involved, but wow, I'm starting to see why the older folks call it "Mother Church". Except for the seminar, everything's free, so it's all great!:thumb001::D

MarcvSS
12-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Well, the seminar my wife and I need to attend will be on January 9, at Our Lady of Good Counsel, in Vienna, VA.It's an all day course and my wife is going to turn this ring blessing into an " event". She will have the white dress, a present from me, we've issued invitations to guests.Whew!:) I didn't think that a ring blessing was going to be so involved, but wow, I'm starting to see why the older folks call it "Mother Church". Except for the seminar, everything's free, so it's all great!:thumb001::D
Well I hope it turns out a wonderfull day for you an your wife, my friend...

I dont care for religion and such, but seeing you happy makes me happy comrade...

Jarl
12-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Shortly after I returned to the Catholic Church, I discovered one impediment to my receiving Communion: I was married outside of the Church. Now, my wife and I are going to remove that impediment by having our marriage convalidated by the Catholic Church. Tammy and I made an appointment to see Fr. Cilinski this Friday and hopefully we'll have our marriage convalidated and our rings blessed.

:) Why, things like that do not happen too often! My earnest congratulations for both of you! Its a mature decision. May I wish you all the best. And welcome to our Church ;)

Gooding
01-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Well, we've met with our priest and this last weekend we got our certificate for attending the Conference for the Engaged. We meet again with our priest later this week to plan the ring blessing!

Gooding
01-17-2010, 01:45 AM
Well, fuck that, then.:( He has our certificate of attendance, but something came up when we were supposed to have our meeting and now we're busting our asses trying to reschedule.

Murphy
01-17-2010, 02:35 AM
Congrats Gooding! That is brilliant news :).

Am I to some extent a 'bastard' in their eyes?

Hey, I am a bastard my self Osweo, join the club :D!

Well, fuck that, then.:( He has our certificate of attendance, but something came up when we were supposed to have our meeting and now we're busting our asses trying to reschedule.

Welcome home to the Church.. only time I can get hold of my parish priest is either in the confessional or when he's trying to avoid everyone after Mass :D:thumb001:!

Regards,
The Papist.

Gooding
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
At last we have a date! After our meeting and interviews with our priest this afternoon, we're going to get our rings blessed on February 6 this year.Now we just need to get a few (more) papers signed and we'll be on our way.

Stossy
01-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Well, we've met with our priest and this last weekend we got our certificate for attending the Conference for the Engaged. We meet again with our priest later this week to plan the ring blessing!
Conference for the Engaged? What the fuck is that about?

A pastor that is busy with something else then 'God cases' hmmmm??????

At last we have a date! After our meeting and interviews with our priest this afternoon, we're going to get our rings blessed on February 6 this year.Now we just need to get a few (more) papers signed and we'll be on our way.

Hmm well good luck in your marriage, both of you :)

Gooding
01-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Conference for the Engaged? What the fuck is that about? A bunch of engaged people and couples seeking convalidation sit through a few classes getting basic instructions and advice on how to live as a successful Catholic couple.

A pastor that is busy with something else then 'God cases' hmmmm?????? Quite true.This is the largest Catholic parish in the Commonwealth of Virginia and doubtlessly the pastor will have other couples and cases involving different parishioners to attend to.

Hmm well good luck in your marriage, both of you :) Thank you so much, Stossy!:) This has been a wonderful year for us so far..things are indeed looking better!

Stossy
01-22-2010, 08:52 AM
A bunch of engaged people and couples seeking convalidation sit through a few classes getting basic instructions and advice on how to live as a successful Catholic couple.

Quite true.This is the largest Catholic parish in the Commonwealth of Virginia and doubtlessly the pastor will have other couples and cases involving different parishioners to attend to.

Thank you so much, Stossy!:) This has been a wonderful year for us so far..things are indeed looking better!

Hmm well... it explains some things :)

Time that I will marry isn't even near :p. Hoping within now and 10 years.

Gooding
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, here's an update: both my wife and I were seperately interviewed by Father as a premarital investigation.Next, we need to fax a copy of our marriage license, have two forms apiece filled out by two friends regarding our intentions and fitness to be married and my wife needs to send over a copy of the baptismal certificate she had in her church and we need to determine our two witnesses. At least it's on the way and it won't cost us too much money to fulfill these requirements.

Gooding
03-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Well, it's done! The convalidation went through without a hitch February 20th. I hope you're all doing well.:)

Murphy
03-15-2010, 03:51 PM
Well, it's done! The convalidation went through without a hitch February 20th. I hope you're all doing well.:)

How is your wife feeling about the Church :)?

Gooding
05-10-2010, 03:51 AM
She's been attending Mass with me a few times a month, Aequoreus!:) We attend the 7:00pm Saturday Vigil Mass and when we were on vacation on Valentine's Day weekend, she bought me a new Bible and a Rosary, which I had our priest bless when I went to Mass the week after the convalidation. I've returned to my old routine of daily Bible reading, praying the rosary at least once a week, occasionally going to weekday morning Mass and Reconciliation once a month. LOL, I've been lurking the forums at catholic.com and occasionally offering a post or two. She admires our parish priest as much as I do and he's always glad to see us. I hope you're well!