PDA

View Full Version : Got my Geno 2.0 results....... R1a???

BMPO
12-31-2013, 09:31 AM
Hi guys I'm new here and would just like to say that about a year ago I got a geno 2.0 test done from NatGeo my results came back R1a R-Z92. I do not look anything like a Slavic Person from Russia. I'm from the Republic of Macedonia. Generally what are main features of this group? I can post a picture of myself if anyone wanted to see what I mean. Generally how do these tests work? Is it just the highest % of a certain marker that they tell you or do other markers show up also in lower %? If so how can I find out what other markers I have? Any info would be great guys. And Merry Christmas to fellow Christians out their and happy new year to all

Gaston
12-31-2013, 09:46 AM
I don't know much about R1a apart from the main branches but Z92 isn't particularly slavic.

Cern
12-31-2013, 10:05 AM
R1a-Z92 East Baltic/East Slavic.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/r1a/default.aspx?section=results

BMPO
12-31-2013, 05:04 PM
I know that it's a slavic marker in my case as we speak the slavic language only this is I don't look East Slavic or Baltic for that matter. I have read all that before. I thought people could share their personal views on the matter. I will upload a photo of myself later. I just woke up for work. Is there a photo thread actually?

Wulf Talented
12-31-2013, 08:51 PM
I don't think your YDNA will have much of an impact on your Phenotype/Physical appearance, sure it'll have a small impact but that's a very long time ago, your Y-DNA goes back some several thousand years, depending on what it is. It's your automosal as far as I'm aware that has an impact on how you look, and it's within the last several or so generations. I don't know the definitive information, but I'm confident it's something along these lines.

Besides, it only takes one ancestor to give you their YDNA lineage, there are English folk walking around with I2a and even your own R1a Z92.
I remember when I was assigned R1a, I thought WHAT THE...?! Was expecting a typical R1b line...

BMPO
12-31-2013, 11:53 PM
So at the end of the day my haplogroup means very little to me if anything at all as it does not represent me but rather my ancestor from god knows when ago. Is there a way I can find my most recent autosomal lineage? I'm more confused after doing the test then before I done it lol

Longbowman
01-01-2014, 02:38 AM
So at the end of the day my haplogroup means very little to me if anything at all as it does not represent me but rather my ancestor from god knows when ago. Is there a way I can find my most recent autosomal lineage? I'm more confused after doing the test then before I done it lol

Your mtDNA is your smallest chromosome, with <16,000 SNPS out of 3.2 billion - a negligible amount. Your YDNA is larger, at ~58 million SNPS or around 1% of your genetic makeup, but that's still not huge. My suggestion is do a 23andme test - there are others but 23andme is the cheapest, unless it's still shut down by the FDA in which case choose the FtDNA autosomal check or something similar - which will give you your full genetic sequence (an illegible hash of letters, but you can use it in other free programmes like GEDmatch) and a cursory glance at your autosomal makeup (eg 27% Finnish, 36% Georgian, whatever - usually not in that much detail though). 23andme also gives you medical information.

BMPO
01-01-2014, 08:31 AM
I transferred my results to family tree and it changed once it got their. It's still R1a1a1 but changed to M417+ PS7 instead of R-Z92 which is what it was on genographic. It's allowing me to do further tests. Should I do a autosomal one only? Or is there a better one to do? It also gives me the option of doing further tests. Should I do all of these tests or am I wasting my time?

Geni
01-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Hi guys I'm new here and would just like to say that about a year ago I got a geno 2.0 test done from NatGeo my results came back R1a R-Z92. I do not look anything like a Slavic Person from Russia. I'm from the Republic of Macedonia. Generally what are main features of this group? I can post a picture of myself if anyone wanted to see what I mean. Generally how do these tests work? Is it just the highest % of a certain marker that they tell you or do other markers show up also in lower %? If so how can I find out what other markers I have? Any info would be great guys. And Merry Christmas to fellow Christians out their and happy new year to all

:rolleyes: clar... why you have slavic dna ??:confused2:

safinator
01-01-2014, 10:30 AM
Here's some info about R1a - Z92 (http://polishgenes.blogspot.com/2012/01/r1a1a1g2d-paternal-genetic-signal-from.html)

Longbowman
01-01-2014, 01:11 PM
I transferred my results to family tree and it changed once it got their. It's still R1a1a1 but changed to M417+ PS7 instead of R-Z92 which is what it was on genographic. It's allowing me to do further tests. Should I do a autosomal one only? Or is there a better one to do? It also gives me the option of doing further tests. Should I do all of these tests or am I wasting my time?

What other tests do they allow you to do?

If you have or are able to download your raw DNA, then why not upload it to www.gedmatch.com for a wide range of ancestral calculators?

Artek
01-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Z92 is primarily a Baltic marker, then an East-Slavic marker :).

Firstly, join this project: http://www.familytreedna.com/public/R1a/ . They should advise you about any futher tests on your Y-chromosome.
You can buy a Family Finder for 99 bucks to know your autosomal genetics. Family Finder is a crap but allows you to download a raw data and use it with any popular genetic calculator
Don't bother with your R1a turning into M417+, it's like that because they use an old haplotree. Your snp Z92 should be listed and positive anyway.

Kazimiera
01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Is Geno 2 worth it if you've done 23andme? I know I have transferred some of the info through to them but apparently there is a new one out which I don't quality for because I didn't buy it.