PDA

View Full Version : Alex Salmond Calls for Euro Reconsideration

Loyalist
01-04-2009, 11:59 PM
The Scottish first minister has said the time is right to look again at the option of the UK adopting the euro.

Alex Salmond claimed there was a strong argument in favour of the euro, particularly as sterling declined.

He said that in the short term, shops, restaurants and pubs should accept the euro from foreign tourists.

And he told BBC Radio Scotland that the arguments for and against adopting the euro as the UK's currency should be re-examined.

Mr Salmond said: "I think there is a strong argument for the euro, and I think as sterling declines even further that argument is being made very strongly.

"Of course in the short term, businesses in Scotland should follow the example of the official government agencies like Historic Scotland and make it clear to the many European visitors we hope to welcome to Scotland for the Year of Homecoming that their currency and their money is very much accepted in the tills of Scotland."

The first minister said many of the "claimed advantages" of retaining sterling as currency were now not as strong as the chancellor thought they were, and called for a reassessment. (Contiues)

Source (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7809700.stm)

SwordoftheVistula
01-05-2009, 01:16 AM
Ok, Scotland can accept the EURO and join the EU, and leave the English alone.

Fortis in Arduis
01-05-2009, 01:49 AM
TRAITOR! Nothing surprising here! :eek: :mad:

Oresai
01-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Hey, we`d love to `leave the English alone`, but the buggers will insist we belong to them. ;)
I am anti-Euro, for reasons I stated in another thread. There is more than just interest and inflationary rates tied up in a nation`s currency.

Vulpix
01-05-2009, 07:04 AM
It seems the economic crisis is seen by this ilk as the perfect excuse to push for euro adoption... the euro as the answer to every problem :rolleyes2:!

Albion
01-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Ok, Scotland can accept the EURO and join the EU, and leave the English alone.

Yes, leave us alone Scotland. :D

but the buggers will insist we belong to them.

Pfft. What have you been smoking? :D If Scotland were to vote on indepdence you'd have a load of English along the border shouting "go, go, go, go!".
Really, I don't know what makes you Scots think the English want you to stay, in a poll 60% of the English said they'd support Scottish independence, the rest probably couldn't care either way apart from a few unionists.
Since its a union between our countries maybe its time a referendum were established to see if England actually wanted to remain shackled to Scotland, what if we want out? :D

Albion
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Scotland could adopt the Euro, it'd look better than the ugly bank notes they have now anyway, well slightly. Let them decide for themselves, we in England can somehow keep the pound going and they can join the monopoly money.

antonio
01-19-2011, 10:35 PM
What a pathetic moron! Even he knows very well his preference on Euro over Sterling Pound it's just a subproduct of his insane nationalism. The hard true is that Euro is nothing more the major symbol of European Union failure or, what is the same, of its coward resignation on evilish speculative forces.