PDA

View Full Version : Chinese newspaper: "Japan's rearmament drive should be kept at bay"

curupira
01-11-2014, 05:30 PM
According to the articule, given history lessons, Japan's rearmament drive should be kept at bay. Do you agree with it? Will the rearmament of Japan be beneficial to East Asia?

December 27, 2013

BEIJING, Dec. 27 -- Humanity can learn from mistakes and lessons provided by history.

Japan's rearmament pursuit incarnated in a array of controversial moves its government has taken recently demands high vigilance of the international community and should be timely contained, considering the horrible occurrences in the last century.

On Sept. 1, 1923, a deadly mega-quake jolted Japan's main island of Honshu, killing hundreds of thousands of people, including three royal family members, and leaving about 1.5 million homeless in Tokyo and Yokohama.

The devastating quake had further exacerbated anxieties for security and survival of the island nation, which has been fettered by its narrow land territory and the lack of natural resources.

These anxieties and mentality have been behind Japan's aspiration for military expansion of its Lebensraum or living space overseas.

Also in the 1920s, a hurricane of economic crisis originating from the United States crushed Japan's economy, leaving around 3 million people jobless. That as well prompted Japan to speed up its military expansion overseas to quell domestic turbulence.

A then weak and perplexed China, which was only years away from the crumble of the 2000-year-long feudal imperialist system and overwhelmed by warlords' infighting, topped Tokyo's hunting list.

In later years, a militarized fascist Japan launched one of the most sanguinary aggression in the human history into China and other countries in the Asia-Pacific region and killed tens of thousands of people before it was defeated in 1945.

After nearly a century passed since the 1923 quake, Japan was hard hit again in March 2011 by a 9.0-magnitude earthquake, which was followed by huge tsunami waves that set off a nuclear crisis.

This natural disaster came at a time when Japan was led by a ever-right tilting government and m ired in a stagnated economy in the aftermath of the worst global financial meltdown since the Great Depression.

These striking similarities seen in the 1920s and in the recent years have already carried enough weight for the world community to stay highly vigilant again.

In fact, the real situation on the ground is even worrying. The Japanese government led by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe seems to have taken history not as a lesson, but more of a humiliation of a defeated samurai.

Therefore, it has apparently decided to rearm itself despite constraints prescribed in its constitution and opposition voiced by nations having the best knowledge on what kind of brutality and slaughter Japan was able to deliver if its paranoia for growing military muscle went unchecked.

Seeking to conceal its territorial ambitions, Abe and many of his cabinet ministers are tirelessly whipping up Chinaphobia and China-threat in a coherent manner so as to rat ionalize their motive for military build-up.

While at the same time, the United States, Japan's adversary-turned-ally, is taking advantage of the escalating tensions to maintain orders in the Asia-Pacific according to Washington's wishes.

Yet it seems that the U.S. government has forgotten the Japanese politicians never play the game by the rules, and once their vicious desires are unleashed, American lives could also be in jeopardy.

Therefore, nations concerned should not appease a warmongering Japan again.

For the world not to be pushed into another bloody conflict, all peace-loving nations, especially those in the region, need to stand united, take enough precautions against Japan's malicious agenda, and adopt effective measures to contain Tokyo's dangerous pursuit of rearmament.

These countermeasures could include strong international consensus at the UN and other multilateral forums that demand the Abe administratio n stop further fan the flames in Northeast Asia, as well as practical economic sanctions that could cost Japan dearly so that it would never again cross over the line.

Because of Japan's self-assertive moves, the Asia-Pacific region is once again standing on the edge of a situation very much similar to that seen 90 years ago.

For the sake of peace and the millions of lives that were lost during the Second World War, it is dead certain that this time the horrors of history should not be repeated, and chances for another dispiteous war should be strangled.

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/90777/8497430.html

Loki
01-12-2014, 10:15 PM
I totally agree. Can't trust them Japanese ...

Anglojew
01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
China would benefit from Japananese recolonization.

Loki
01-13-2014, 04:43 AM
China would benefit from Japananese recolonization.

What? lol

Learning_Genetics
01-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Instead of fighting over some small islands which are not really anything in the larger scheme of things Beijing and Tokyo should be working to improve relations. China, Korea and Japan should cooperate instead of fight. Steps can be taken by Japan to realise this. They can firstly admit and be more apologetic about war crimes in the Second World War. China could also be less aggressive and stop conducting provocative actions.

Incal
01-13-2014, 05:06 AM
I'd rather have an armed Japan than an armed China.

Loki
01-13-2014, 05:31 AM
Instead of fighting over some small islands which are not really anything in the larger scheme of things Beijing and Tokyo should be working to improve relations. China, Korea and Japan should cooperate instead of fight. Steps can be taken by Japan to realise this. They can firstly admit and be more apologetic about war crimes in the Second World War. China could also be less aggressive and stop conducting provocative actions.

They would never cooperate. They despise each other. South Korea doesn't even have formal diplomatic relations with Japan. And that is unlikely to change anytime soon, since Japanese premiers keep on honouring war criminals and visiting their graves as shrines. Why should China and Korea tolerate such arrogance? The Japanese have no shame.

Loki
01-13-2014, 05:33 AM
I'd rather have an armed Japan than an armed China.

I bet the Pearl Harbor vets would disagree with you.

Incal
01-13-2014, 06:22 AM
I bet the Pearl Harbor vets would disagree with you.

And I bet the whole population of Hiroshima and Nagasaki would agree with me. Thing is, I know tons of japanese and chinese descendants and the former have a stronger sense of honor, rules and values while the latter would sell their own for 5 yuan. If one of those 2 were to rule the entire world and I had to choose between a PAX NIPPONICA or a PAX SINICA I'd stick with the Japs without thinking twice.

BeerBaron
01-13-2014, 06:35 AM
Washington has been pushing tokyo to rearm itself for decades now. japanese military has been constitutionally restricted to 1% of gdp since ww2. With a growing china and the inability for paccom to defend the entire pacific its necessary for japan to arm. the japanese navy is highly advanced, well armed and equipped, they are only trumped by the americans and the brits.

China is scaring the shit out of everyone, the aussies are shitting their pants and the US is sending them marines. There is a border dispute between india and china on the northern rock territory. Chinese military doctrine awards aggressive behavior, something the soviets didnt do because they knew they would be fucked. Chinese warships almost rammed an american destroyer not to long ago.

This entire thing could ignite another world war.

Loki
01-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Imagine Germany erecting a shrine for Adolph Eichmann, and Merkel doing a state visit every year to pay her respects ... that wouldn't go down very well in Tel Aviv, would it?

That's effectively what the Japanese are doing.

RandoBloom
01-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Japan changed and it is an independent country, so I suport it

Loki
01-13-2014, 07:41 AM
Japan changed and it is an independent country, so I suport it

Sure, as long as they don't become imperialistic again. I also wish them prosperity.

Lurker
01-13-2014, 12:38 PM
I think rearmment will only lead to increased tensions and a war in the future, possibly nuclear. I think trade should be fostered and war should be avoided. Trade is in the best interest of everyone. The real war should be waged on poverty, not other people.

Loki
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
A stronger Japan may even lead to the two Koreas uniting in order to counter the new threat in the neighbourhood. North and South Koreans hate the Japanese more than they hate each other.

curupira
01-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Rightwingers in Japan are getting increasingly more concerned about China.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdAo-ozkSzk

Shintaro Ishihara, the new head of Nippon Ishin no Kai (Japan Restoration Party), remained true to his China-hawk form Tuesday by saying Japan should "simulate" possessing nuclear arms as a deterrent to Beijing.

Ishihara's remark during a news conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Japan in Tokyo, is likely to ruffle feathers both at home and abroad, especially amid the territorial row with China over the Senkaku Islands.

"It's high time Japan made simulations of possessing nuclear arms," Ishihara said. "That would become a form of deterrent" against China's possible military encroachment.

The 80-year-old former Tokyo governor also said the defense budget should be increased while dealing with China in a "calm but resolute manner."

"We need to say no to China when necessary because I don't want Japan to be like Tibet, which has fallen under Chinese power," said Ishihara, who coauthored the best-selling essay "The Japan That Can Say No" in 1989 with late Sony cofounder Akio Morita. The book urges Japan to become more assertive in international affairs.

"I feel so sorry for the Tibetan people," he said.

Ishihara repeatedly referred to China as "Shina," the name often associated with Japan's military occupation during the war, instead of "Chugoku," the Japanese word for the country.

"Shina is not a negative word. And for Japanese, Chugoku means Hiroshima and Okayama" — the Chugoku region in western Honshu, he said.

Ishihara asserted that most Japanese agree with him that Japan should deal with China in a calm but assertive manner when conflict arises.

The platform of Nippon Ishin no Kai, which was founded by Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto, states the party will urge China to agree to bring the Senkaku dispute to the International Court of Justice for a ruling on which country has sovereignty over the rocky islets long held by Japan.

Ishihara said defense spending, now limited to 1 percent of the national budget, should be boosted.

"I think the skills of the Japanese military industry are high," he said, voicing his personal view. "Why not boost the ability of (the nation's) self-defense?"

Ishihara said he basically supports the U.S.-led Trans-Pacific Partnership free-trade talks but then added "he cannot forgive" the U.S. promotion of genetically modified food. The TPP is opposed by farmers who fear it would lead to a flood of cheap, imported produce after tariff barriers are removed.

He said the government should not rush to abandon nuclear power and instead calculate how the economy would fare without such energy. "Hashimoto and I agree that we should do such calculations," he said.

Hashimoto had advocated abandoning nuclear power by the 2030s and had earlier said his party would pursue this goal. But in consideration of Ishihara's stance, he did not include this in the joint statement issued Saturday when his party absorbed Ishihara's four-day-old group.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20121121a3.html

Learning_Genetics
01-15-2014, 01:05 PM
They would never cooperate. They despise each other. South Korea doesn't even have formal diplomatic relations with Japan. And that is unlikely to change anytime soon, since Japanese premiers keep on honouring war criminals and visiting their graves as shrines. Why should China and Korea tolerate such arrogance? The Japanese have no shame.

Yes they hate each other. However there are European countries which have the same level of historic hatreds which can potentially work together as well. Why would it not be possible for Japan to improve relations with Korea and China? It would be a long term scheme and most likely it would not happen overnight. Yet what is to say that it cannot happen eventually? One of the major problems is that China and Japan are both too nationalistic towards each other. Neither is willing to concede anything, either in their view of history or current day policies.

Loki
01-15-2014, 01:16 PM
Yes they hate each other. However there are European countries which have the same level of historic hatreds which can potentially work together as well. Why would it not be possible for Japan to improve relations with Korea and China? It would be a long term scheme and most likely it would not happen overnight. Yet what is to say that it cannot happen eventually? One of the major problems is that China and Japan are both too nationalistic towards each other. Neither is willing to concede anything, either in their view of history or current day policies.

It is possible, of course, but it will require a lot of effort and goodwill - and humility on both sides.

Loki
01-15-2014, 01:17 PM
Rightwingers in Japan are getting increasingly more concerned about China.

They have every reason to be. China is not going to have mercy on such filthy characters.