PDA

View Full Version : Lactose Intolerant: Are You Or Is Anyone in Your Family?

Vulpix
10-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Are you lactose intolerant or is anyone in your family? If so, who in your family and at what age did you/they become lactose intolerant?

Loki
10-26-2008, 11:09 AM
Lactose intolerance? What's that? :coffee:

WinterMoon
11-06-2008, 02:15 AM
In my family we have cases of both lactose intolerance and also dairy allergies. The lactose intolerant people normally display it beginning in early adulthood, and those with dairy allergies do so from birth (although it may disappear and re-emerge as well).

Skandi
11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I believe that the intolerance of lactose is geneticaly determined so it would follow that most people who are intolerent should have a family history of it. It will develop in anyone who stops drinking milk for a long period of time as you lose the enzymes nessesary for breaking down milk sugars. Personaly I developed it in my mid teens although it took several years to figure out what was wrong.

Arrow Cross
11-06-2008, 04:00 PM
I suffer from political intolerance, as well as the majority of my family. However, I don't wanna get a cure. :p

Beorn
11-09-2008, 03:05 PM
Are you lactose intolerant or is anyone in your family? If so, who in your family and at what age did you/they become lactose intolerant?

I'm going to be very lazy (Sue me. It's a Sunday! :p), but what are the symptoms for being lactose intolerant?

WinterMoon
11-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm going to be very lazy (Sue me. It's a Sunday! :p), but what are the symptoms for being lactose intolerant?

Could be mild ranging from gas and bloating within a few hours after consuming dairy.... to more severe with having stomach cramps and diarrhea. From my observation, the "whites" who have lactose intolerance usually have the mild form, and often may not even realize that is where their bloating and gas comes from. It is not severe enough to really affect them in a way which is disruptive of their life or intestinal tract, so they do pay it any mind. Of course, this is just my observation and not based upon any research.

If you want to know if you are lactose intolerant try the following: for several days consume all the dairy you want. Make sure to consume plenty of dairy. See if you get gas and bloating. Then take a couple of days for cleansing and go on a "diet" that will rid your body of everything. Then try going several days without any dairy at all-- no cheese, no milk, no butter, etc. See if you have no gas or bloating. (And during this test, don't eat anything naturally gassy such as beans or broccoli.)

A lactose intolerance comes from the body's inability to break down lactose in the intestines.... that is why symptoms are generally gut related (gas, diarrhea, maybe even constipation). A dairy allergy, on the other hand, occurs in the stomach and is a reaction to the protein(s) in milk (whey or casein). The body is unable to digest them, and an immune system response is triggered. These can also be mild to severe. Symptoms may be anything from a runny nose and typical allergy symptoms. Also there may be severe pains and vomiting. It also can cause skin reactions such as hives or eczema.

I hope I answered your question adequately.

Grumpy Cat
01-12-2009, 11:54 PM
I'm slightly lactose intolerant, but I seem to only feel really bad after eating ice cream (which has a higher lactose content than other dairy products).

With yogurt and cheese, I'm fine (probably because the bacterial culture does away with most of the lactose), and with milk I have slight symptoms, but ice cream is killer. I can drink chocolate milk, though, but chocolate actually helps people digest lactose.

I'm the only person in my family with this problem. I started to notice when I was about 19 or 20. I'm not sure where it came from, I don't think it's genetic because then other people in my family would have the problem. I didn't eat much dairy in my teen years (something my mother was always on my case about, giving me the whole osteoporosis speech), so maybe that's why.

Jägerstaffel
01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I had heard that lactose intolerance comes from being the descendent of a hunter-gather society and that lactose tolerance comes from being the descendent of an agricultural society. (In the majority of cases)

A theory was proposed on why the relations spoiled between the vikings in Vinland and the Skraelingr Native Americans that brought this idea into play. Possibly the vikingrs gave the natives milk and dairy products as a sign of goodwill upon their first interaction and the negative side effects caused the natives to think they had been poisoned; creating the bad blood between the folks.

My family comes from a line of farmers on one side, so yeah - definately not lactose intolerant.

Æmeric
01-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I was 18 before I heard the phrase "lactose intolerant". It was during my navy service when I lived in close quarters with Negroes. Most of them didn't drink milk, it was some sort of black thing. Several of them told me that Blacks couldn't digest dairy products because their digestive systems were different. I thought to myself "Yeah right! It's just some wisetale their mammies told them to justify blowing the food stamps on beer & cigarettes."

The whole idea of being lactose intolerant seems unnatural to me.

Jägerstaffel
01-13-2009, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't call it unnatural; just think that their ancestors weren't raising cattle and goats as long as ours. They relied moreso on hunting, gathering, fishing, etc.

quotablepatella
07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm not, and noone in my family is either.

Tabiti
07-01-2009, 10:32 AM
Whole my family are milk and dairy consumers, not to mention the fact I have great grandfathers who owned lots of sheep, so consuming lots of dairies is like a tradition.
My father can consume milk, but just don't like it, since he was a child. But still eats lot of cheese. Personal taste I can tell that.
My mother and I drink at least 250-500 ml milk a day (full fat), my grandmother used to drink a liter of milk daily until her death. I can also drink liters of milk, but the fact I'm calorie counter stops me most of the time:P

P.S. I've recently heard about "lactose intolerance".

P.S. I think there are lactose tolerant tribes in Africa, such as Massai, whose diet consist mainly of milk. Mongolian one as well.

Phlegethon
07-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Whole my family are milk and diary consumers.

Hey, milk is fine, but I consider diaries to be indigestable. Although only that way you can effectively get rid of evidence against you. ;)

Útrám
07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
According to a test I took in 4 years ago, It was discovered that I was mildly intolerant and so is my father. I occasionally use dairy products and without reaction, hence it could have been temporary and caused by adolescent development. I never really cared anyway since I was never a big milk drinker, that stuff is for calves.

Brännvin
07-01-2009, 10:41 AM
No I am not, and no one in my family is... In ze nordics we drink lots of milk. It makes us strong and beautiful. ;) :P

Vulpix
07-01-2009, 10:42 AM
No I am not, and no one in my family is... In ze nordics we drink lots of milk. It makes us strong and beautiful. ;) :P

I totally second that :D!

Tabiti
07-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey, milk is fine, but I consider diaries to be indigestable. Although only that way you can effectively get rid of evidence against you. ;)
Yes, dairy products and yoghourt don't contain so much lactose, so many people can consume them without problem.
Evidences of what? :D
I don't consider lactose tolerance as only "ueberaryan" trait, just adaptation based on food diet:rolleyes:

Phlegethon
07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Dairy, not diary. I was pulling your leg, girl! Pull, pull!

Although I am totally intolerant lactose has nothing to do with it, by the way. ;)

Tabiti
07-01-2009, 10:54 AM
LOL, my dear English teacher :D

Tabiti
07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
In fact that is true. Milk is a perfect, unique natural food, but only if you could tolerate it. Otherwise it could even kill.

Útrám
07-01-2009, 10:57 AM
I have diary intolerance as well. That moive sucked!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/BridgetJonesDiaryMoviePoster.jpg/200px-BridgetJonesDiaryMoviePoster.jpg

Sally
07-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I have diary intolerance as well. That moive sucked!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/17/BridgetJonesDiaryMoviePoster.jpg/200px-BridgetJonesDiaryMoviePoster.jpg

:D

Maybe you'll enjoy this film (also based on a diary) more...

http://i39.tinypic.com/27xkx93.jpg

Angantyr
07-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Lactose tolerance is a very European trait.

However, there are two types of lactose tolerance, genetic and environmental. If you are genetically tolerant, you are probably tolerant throughout life as your body produces the enzyme necessary to break down lactose. In some cases, however, the body produces less and less of the enzyme as one ages, but this is gradual and intolerance will only happen much later in life, if at all. If you are environmentally tolerant, you have bacteria in your gut which break down the lactose for you. Should you stop drinking milk, the environment in your gut will change and you will develop lactose intolerance.

It has been hypothesized that genetic lactose tolerance rode the same crest northwards after the last ice age as blue eyes and fair hair.

I am genetically lactose tolerant as is everyone in my family.

Kempenzoon
07-01-2009, 01:19 PM
My Finnish ex-girlfriend is the only lactose intolerant person I ever met. Yet, she was still addicted to drinking milk and milk products, so every 2-3 days she went through an entire box of those pills they take that temporarily allow them to drink milk.

Inese
07-01-2009, 03:58 PM
I know no person who is lactose intolerant. I and my family drink milk often and use milk products like cheese yoghurt and many more!

Lars
07-01-2009, 04:19 PM
Thank God (hoho) I'm not lactose intolerant.
I eat and drink milk products everyday. Especially cottage cheese, milk and buttermilk/youghurt. When I want to hygge I eat some fat (40 %) blue veined cheese! Yummy!

Grumpy Cat
07-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Lactose tolerance is a very European trait.

However, there are two types of lactose tolerance, genetic and environmental. If you are genetically tolerant, you are probably tolerant throughout life as your body produces the enzyme necessary to break down lactose. In some cases, however, the body produces less and less of the enzyme as one ages, but this is gradual and intolerance will only happen much later in life, if at all. If you are environmentally tolerant, you have bacteria in your gut which break down the lactose for you. Should you stop drinking milk, the environment in your gut will change and you will develop lactose intolerance.

It has been hypothesized that genetic lactose tolerance rode the same crest northwards after the last ice age as blue eyes and fair hair.

I am genetically lactose tolerant as is everyone in my family.

Yeah, I think I am environmentally lactose intolerant because I didn't become so until I was an adult, and there's no one in my family who is lactose intolerant so there appears to be no genetic predisposition.

My family are huge milk consumers, except for me.

Allenson
07-01-2009, 07:40 PM
I seem to be tolerant, though I've never been tested. I don't drink much milk anymore, except in coffee but I do eat a fair bit of cheese and I don't seem any worse for the wear.

Also, I don't know of any lactose intolerance in my family....

anonymaus
07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I'm a lean mean milk guzzling machine. I used to drink about 45oz per day, every day, unrelated to various other dairy products which I still consume in large amounts.

No one in the family is lactose intolerant... didn't even know such a thing existed until some foreigners started attending school with us.

Germanicus
07-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Mrs Germanicus is half Scottish her father was born in Alloa, She informed me that he did'nt eat butter,milk, or cheese.
She has adopted the same traits as her father which i find rather strange.
Surely this is just a trait nothing more?

Gauthier
09-23-2013, 05:31 AM
I'm tolerant. I love milk. My genetic test on 23andme confirms it too.

http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/6335/ve77.jpg (http://img542.imageshack.us/i/ve77.jpg/)

SilverKnight
09-23-2013, 05:35 AM
No I'm not (I love milk :) ) just a few in my family can have issues with milk.

StarDS9
09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
According to 23andme I should be Lactose Intolerant but I am not. I have no problem with Dairy products.

Mikula
09-25-2013, 06:29 PM
My father was, his father too, and more male members of my paternal family. It seems that my son (1.5 year) will be too

Blackout
09-25-2013, 06:31 PM
No.

Kalimtari
09-25-2013, 08:10 PM
totally tolerant; I can drink up to 1 liter a day (fresh, unboiled milk).

Black Sun Dimension
09-25-2013, 08:15 PM
According to 23andme, I'm lactose intolerant. I, however, eat and drink dairy products on a daily basis and nothing ever happens.

safinator
09-25-2013, 10:28 PM
23andMe says i'm tolerant though i dislike it a lot.

Stefan_Dusan
09-25-2013, 10:29 PM
I never heard of lactose intolerance until I came to USA and it blew my mind. I thought people were making it up because they didn't like taste.

Dombra
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
No one in my family who is lactose intolerant, we are t00 stronk

ALSh
09-25-2013, 10:34 PM
whats that?

Ice
09-25-2013, 10:36 PM
No I am not, and no one in my family is.

Mazik
09-26-2013, 12:10 AM
No, we're true northerners :)

MelinusMargos
09-26-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm not used to drink milk but it doesn't have a great impact on my health, the only case in which I don't tend to tolerate it is when I mix it with coffee and I drink in big quantities, result: DAT SHIT.