PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo finds recognition on football field

KrashNick
01-13-2014, 06:45 PM
http://radiosarajevo.ba/img/s/627x344//upload/images/SPORT_2013/Fudbal/kosovo_fudbalski_tim.jpg

Kosovo's bid for international recognition has been boosted by Fifa after football's governing body cleared more than 200 member countries to organise friendly matches against national and club teams from the former Yugoslav province.

Fifa said its emergency committee chaired by President Sepp Blatter made the decision Monday (NZT Tuesday) after he met last Friday with football leaders from Kosovo and Serbia.

''The decision... represents a major boost for football development in Kosovo and it once again confirms the extraordinary power of our sport to bring people together,'' Blatter said in a statement issued by Fifa.

However, national and club teams from countries which made up the former Yugoslavia, are currently excluded from the agreement.

Kosovo has used sport to further its international claims since declaring independence from Serbia in 2008. It is recognised by around 100 countries, but is not a member of the United Nations.

The Serbian football federation and European football authority UEFA had challenged a previous Blatter-led move in May 2012 to grant playing rights to Kosovo.

Fifa said teams from Kosovo ''may not display national symbols (flags, emblems, etc) or play national anthems''.

They can ''wear or display kit or equipment bearing the name 'Kosovo''' and a star symbol.

Teams from Kosovo must also give 21 days' notice of scheduled home matches, and Fifa will inform the Serbia football federation.

''Any breach of this agreement will be referred to Fifa and the agreement will automatically come to an end,'' the governing body warned.

Kosovo will likely use this agreement as a basis to press for membership of UEFA and Fifa, which would allow it to enter qualifying for major competitions in men's, women's and youth football.

Fifa statutes currently allow players with Kosovo family connections to transfer eligibility from their current national teams.

Switzerland is likely to have several players with Kosovo links in its World Cup squad this year, including Bayern Munich winger Xherdan Shaqiri and Napoli midfielder Valon Behrami.

La Misse
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Bye Lorik Cana :icon_cry:

RandoBloom
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Good news. Bloody Serb blockade lasted for long enough. Kosovo is a free country and deserves equal oportunities

KrashNick
01-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Januzaj blow for England after FIFA give Kosovo green light to form National Team
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2538714/Januzaj-blow-England-FIFA-Kosovo-green-light-form-national-team.html

KrashNick
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Good news. Bloody Serb blockade lasted for long enough. Kosovo is a free country and deserves equal oportunities

The funny part is that our first match will be against Croatia , Serbs will be mad :D .

RandoBloom
01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
The funny part is that our first match will be against Croatia , Serbs will be mad :D .

I would be so happy if it were with Bosnia :D
Jesus, Serbs would be flipping their shit :D

The.Mask
01-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Bye Lorik Cana :icon_cry:

Nope, Actually Kosovo haven't been recognized officialy as a FIFA member... They can play only friendly games but not official games. So actually yes players like Shaqiri, Behrami, Januzaj, Cana & co can play for Kosovo but on the other side can still play with the national team they choosed... Something like Xavi, Fabregas, Piqué & co who play time to time with Catalonia on friendly games but play official games with Spain.

Eckhart
Hrulj i like you

The.Mask

Are you sure about that ? I have read somewhere that so far Kosovo is not allowed to play friendly games against ex-Yugoslavian states... But i hope you are true, a friendly game against Croatia can only be good :)

KrashNick
01-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Are you sure about that ? I have read somewhere that so far Kosovo is not allowed to play friendly games against ex-Yugoslavian states... But i hope you are true, a friendly game against Croatia can only be good :)

I heard that from news but still its not official . I will not be surprised if our first match would be against Croatia :)

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/30/fullj.a0b98549c7b6e0e2df13e4e5ee174295/a0b98549c7b6e0e2df13e4e5ee174295-getty-511575701.jpg

Arianiti
01-13-2014, 08:49 PM

Yes, this is true . We will not be allowed to play with former Yug countries, for now I hope. It seems that our first match will be played on 5th March with one of these countries, USA, Sweden, The Netherlands or Bulgaria.

The Illyrian Warrior
01-13-2014, 08:51 PM
No symbols, just friendly games....Barely I call success.

Arianiti
01-13-2014, 08:52 PM

Better something than nothing. This should be the first step to becoming the full FIFA member.

Eckhart
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM

Nje tulle sot, behet keshtjelle neser . ;)

RandoBloom
01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Hrulj i like you

Everyone normal does :D
You just proved you are normal :thumb001: