PDA

View Full Version : When Argentines speak English, do they sound like a Spanish speaker?

Sikeliot
01-13-2014, 10:51 PM
This question sounds dumb, but I'll elaborate.

If I heard Sofia Vergara or Penelope Cruz speaking English, with their accent I'd know they were, from some country, a Spanish speaker.
If I hear a Dominican speaking English, although I can hear African influence in the sound, I can still tell they are a Spanish speaker.

I know two Argentines, and when they speak English, I am torn between thinking they sound Eastern European, or thinking they sound Italian. I'd never, ever guess them to be a Spanish speaker, and even in Spanish their accent does not resemble that of any other Latin American country.

Is this normal, or are these two people outliers?

Tooting Carmen
01-13-2014, 10:52 PM
Argentines usually sound the same when speaking English as do other Spanish-speakers, in my experience.

Sikeliot
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Argentines usually sound the same when speaking English as do other Spanish-speakers, in my experience.

The opposite is true in my experience such that hearing Argentines speaking English, I would not be able to readily identify their native language nor would I guess it to be Spanish.

Han Cholo
01-13-2014, 10:54 PM
I don't think you'd be able to notice I'm a romance speaker either.

TheBlondeSalad
01-13-2014, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If4lfNl_a_I

Sikeliot
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
I don't think you'd be able to notice I'm a romance speaker either.

When I hear Mexicans speak English, I can tell they speak Spanish.

Sikeliot
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If4lfNl_a_I

Sounds more Italian than Spanish.

Stormer99
01-13-2014, 10:57 PM
Argentinians have a lot of Italian ancestry. That's why.

TheBlondeSalad
01-13-2014, 11:02 PM
No. They clearly have a Spanish accent.

Argentano
01-14-2014, 12:29 PM
my english teacher at work is sicilian, from palermo, and he says i sound like a mix between italiaj and eastern european when speaking english...so your post was pretty accurate haha

dude
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM
That guy in the video sounds like he speaks Spanish. Maybe you are comparing to a Mexican accent. Mexicans have a particular accent that you can hear it when then speak Spanish or English. But there are many other countries that speak Spanish and they all have different accents. Italians have a different tone when they speak English.