PDA

View Full Version : Lou Dobbs for President? Maybe Senator First

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.sphere.com/2009/11/25/the-point-lou-dobbs-for-president-maybe-senator-first/

November 25, 2009

Lou Dobbs sounded a little like a political candidate when he announced his departure from CNN a couple of weeks ago. Now he sounds a whole lot like one.

While the early speculation was about whether the former TV talker would seek the presidency, his spokesman indicated on Tuesday that a run for U.S. Senate in 2012 is more likely — as a possible steppingstone to the White House.

Dobbs, best known as a crusader against illegal immigration, has his eye on the seat held by New Jersey Democrat Robert Menendez, the Senate’s only Hispanic member.

“He realizes that to run for president he’d have to run for an intermediate position, such as the Menendez spot,” spokesman Bob Dilenschneider told The Wall Street Journal, adding that Dobbs isn’t ruling out a run for president but isn’t “approaching it seriously at this moment.”

anonymaus
11-25-2009, 08:00 PM
He's a doofus. An honest one, though. He really has the courage of his convictions in my opinion.

Difficult to get such people elected ;)

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
He's a doofus. An honest one, though.

Interesting. Why do you think that? I like him - precisely because he is honest.

anonymaus
11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Interesting. Why do you think that? I like him - precisely because he is honest.

My assessment of his doofusness isn't actually about any particular opinion of his, many of which I agree with, but what I think is a really silly tactic of saying "the left does this, and the right does it too! a pox on all their houses!"--particularly when it's completely wrong.

It's an attempt at conciliatory compromise rather than cojones a la pared ideology.

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 08:22 PM
"the left does this, and the right does it too! a pox on all their houses!"--particularly when it's completely wrong.

Well it's true and I know many disagree here, but I see a consistant pattern between democrats and republicans from 2000 to present. I know Dobbs brought up alot discussion on this in regards to (former) 'conspiracy theories' like the North American Union, Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay, Iraq War II, Afghanistan, so on and so forth. Both Dems and Reps are in agreement that the American people must be spied on illegally, that both unjustified wars are good, and that un-warranted, prolongued detention without charge is good and that the American people must get behind it or they are unpatriotic domestic terrorists.

anonymaus
11-25-2009, 08:34 PM
Well it's true and I know many disagree here, but I see a consistant pattern between democrats and republicans from 2000 to present. I know Dobbs brought up alot discussion on this in regards to (former) 'conspiracy theories' like the North American Union, Patriot Act, Guantanamo Bay, Iraq War II, Afghanistan, so on and so forth. Both Dems and Reps are in agreement that the American people must be spied on illegally, that both unjustified wars are good, and that un-warranted, prolongued detention without charge is good and that the American people must get behind it or they are unpatriotic domestic terrorists.

When it is true of course it makes sense to say so. I just find that it grates on me when it's constantly used as a way for the person saying it to ingratiate themselves with people who otherwise disagree with them.

In such a case it's a tactic and not a forthright attempt to persuade, which I do not like; he has a tendency to do this. Certainly, though, he doesn't lack bluntness in general which I like very much.

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 08:41 PM
When it is true of course it makes sense to say so. I just find that it grates on me when it's constantly used as a way for the person saying it to ingratiate themselves with people who otherwise disagree with them.

In such a case it's a tactic and not a forthright attempt to persuade, which I do not like; he has a tendency to do this. Certainly, though, he doesn't lack bluntness in general which I like very much.

I feel the same about Bill O'Reilly. Only he is wrong almost 100% of the time, and he yells at, threatens, and uses brutish tactics against guests and people who dare disagree with his neo-con propaganda.

HIVnwYGU9Qo

Which stands in stark contrast to Lou Dobbs.

Who is probably the last of his kind.

SwordoftheVistula
11-26-2009, 01:31 AM
ugh, he's already selling out for political gain:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125910998942663259.html

Former CNN anchor Lou Dobbs, pondering a future in politics, is trying to wipe away his image as an enemy of Latino immigrants by positioning himself as a champion of that fast-growing ethnic bloc.

Mr. Dobbs, who left the network last week, has said in recent days that he is considering a third-party run for a New Jersey Senate seat in 2012, or possibly for president. Polls show voters unhappy with both parties, and strategists believe Mr. Dobbs could tap populist anger over economy issues just as Ross Perot did in the 1990s.

First, though, Mr. Dobbs is working to repair what a spokesman conceded is a glaring flaw: His reputation for antipathy toward Latino immigrants. In a little-noticed interview Friday, Mr. Dobbs told Spanish-language network Telemundo he now supports a plan to legalize millions of undocumented workers, a stance he long lambasted as an unfair "amnesty."

"Whatever you have thought of me in the past, I can tell you right now that I am one of your greatest friends and I mean for us to work together," he said in a live interview with Telemundo's Maria Celeste. "I hope that will begin with Maria and me and Telemundo and other media organizations and others in this national debate that we should turn into a solution rather than a continuing debate and factional contest."

Mr. Dobbs twice mentioned a possible legalization plan for the estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the U.S., saying at one point that "we need the ability to legalize illegal immigrants under certain conditions."

Mr. Dobbs couldn't be reached Tuesday. Spokesman Bob Dilenschneider said Mr. Dobbs draws a distinction between illegal immigrants who have committed crimes since arriving in the U.S. and those who are "living upright, positive and constructive lives" who should be "integrated" into society. He said Mr. Dobbs recognizes the political importance of Latinos and is "smoothing the water and clearing the air."

Sol Invictus
11-26-2009, 01:41 AM
All the power to him!

But how did he "sell out" ?

He was forced out.

Personally I think he should stick with journalism, non-mainstream.

He's appeared numerous times on Alex Jones', and supports him.

I think it's time he started his own.

He has such potential to make it big.

SwordoftheVistula
11-26-2009, 03:05 AM
But how did he "sell out"

He says one thing all the time on his TV show (regarding immigration), then does a complete reversal as soon as he contemplates running for office in order to appease a 'key voting group' in the state.