PDA

View Full Version : Ban on domestic 'psychological violence'

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 08:32 PM
From correspondents in Paris
Agence France-Presse
November 26, 2009 05:18am

FRANCE is to pass a law banning "psychological violence within the couple" and study the idea of tagging violent partners to prevent them stalking their victims, the government said overnight.

Prime Minister Francois Fillon announced the measures in a speech to mark the United Nations' tenth International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, promising legislation in the first half of nest year.

"It's an important step forward: the creation of this offence will allow us to deal with the most insidious situations, situations that leave no visible scars, but which leave their victims torn up inside," he said.

"And we are going to experiment with electronic surveillance measures on the Spanish model to monitor the effectiveness of restraining orders against a violent spouse," he said.

Spanish judges now have the power to force a convicted wife-beater to wear a watch-sized electronic bracelet that triggers an alarm if he gets too close to his former victim and gives her a chance to call the police.

Since June, 58 men have been tagged and police have been called 222 times.

Last year 157 French women were killed by their husband or partner.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,26402903-23109,00.html

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Thoughts?

Loki
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
There are some serious sickos out there who would qualify for such a treatment (and no doubt several who are active on internet forums :rolleyes: ) -- but my concern is how they will be identified, and if we can expect the necessary fairness that everyone deserves. Domestic situations often bring out the worst in people, but tagging them in this way is not necessarily the correct correctional approach.

Poltergeist
11-25-2009, 09:27 PM
While physical violence is usually done by men against women, in case of the psychological violence it seems to be the other way around.

Eldritch
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM
I find this highly ironic, since emotional abuse in relationships is mainly women's specialty.

Sol Invictus
11-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I find this highly ironic, since emotional abuse in relationships is mainly women's specialty.

Never thought of that, but very true. And women always get away with it.

In a court of law, women usually have the upper hand.

That's a fact of life.

SwordoftheVistula
11-26-2009, 01:16 AM
While physical violence is usually done by men against women, in case of the psychological violence it seems to be the other way around.

Somehow I don't think this new law is going to work out that way, since it is part of the 'United Nations' tenth International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women.'

The tracking devices for actual abusers is not a bad idea though. Not only will it keep the actual criminals in line, it will eliminate the chance for fraudulent claims for violation of restraining orders.