PDA

View Full Version : Uncolonized Africa

Comte Arnau
01-18-2014, 02:14 AM
Map of what Africa might have looked like in the 19th century if the Iberian Reconquest hadn't taken place (and consequently, no colonization).

http://developmentdaily.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/alkebu-lan-1260.jpg

Wadaad
01-18-2014, 02:19 AM
Whoever made that map is an enlightened, true scholar...

Comte Arnau
01-18-2014, 02:38 AM
Whoever made that map is an enlightened, true scholar...

I detect the irony but I think he did at least some funny interesting job. Apparently it's the work of a devoted Swedish artist (http://www.cyon.se/).

Wadaad
01-18-2014, 02:40 AM
No irony at all...I just meant his scholarship was very thorough, the borders seem accurate as does the list of sultanates, kingdoms and chiefdoms...

Wadaad
01-18-2014, 02:43 AM
I detect the irony but I think he did at least some funny interesting job. Apparently it's the work of a devoted Swedish artist (http://www.cyon.se/).

One thing I respect about communists, they've always paid interest in the struggle and history of black people, even when it wasnt popular or PC to do so

KidMulat
01-18-2014, 02:54 AM
I appreciate the map but its incorrect in some places and seems to focus on the largest groups, I think this is a good start but Africa was wayyyy more fractionated.

Damiăo de Góis
01-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Are you suggesting that the english and the french wouldn't eventually colonize it?

Comte Arnau
01-18-2014, 02:59 AM
I appreciate the map but its incorrect in some places and seems to focus on the largest groups, I think this is a good start but Africa was wayyyy more fractionated.

Take into account that we're dealing with alternate history here. I myself think that some things are more than risky. But why is it that bad to suppose that the largest ethnic groups would have lead to relatively large countries even without colonization? There were indeed some previous large Empires and some of them could have remained stable somehow.

KidMulat
01-18-2014, 03:04 AM
Take into account that we're dealing with alternate history here. I myself think that some things are more than risky. But why is it that bad to suppose that the largest ethnic groups would have lead to relatively large countries even without colonization? There were indeed some previous large Empires and some of them could have remained stable somehow.

Well if its alternative history then thats different, I thought he was like trying to remake what Africa would actually have looked like.

Comte Arnau
01-18-2014, 03:09 AM
Are you suggesting that the english and the french wouldn't eventually colonize it?

If you follow the chain of events, no Reconquista = no Christian Iberia = no "discovery" of the Americas or sailing of the Portuguese along the African coasts = no open previous door for posterior colonization by other Europeans. ;)

Well if its alternative history then thats different, I thought he was like trying to remake what Africa would actually have looked like.

In his words: "I tried to construct an alternative historical time-line where Europe were much harder struck by the plague in the 1350's and never recovered, so African nations would get the opportunity flourish unhindered. But the project is really about real historical precolonial African nations, and I have tried to form a map of the most prominent of those that existed between the 15th and mid 19th century"

KidMulat
01-18-2014, 03:19 AM
In his words: "I tried to construct an alternative historical time-line where Europe were much harder struck by the plague in the 1350's and never recovered, so African nations would get the opportunity flourish unhindered. But the project is really about real historical precolonial African nations, and I have tried to form a map of the most prominent of those that existed between the 15th and mid 19th century"

That is even harder to guess though; again I appreciate the sentiment though.