PDA

View Full Version : The handshake

Lars
11-26-2009, 04:04 PM
The handshake dates back 2000 years when it was quite normal to go with a sword on oneself. It was typically located on the left side of the body, and you should use the right hand to pull it. If you then have to meet anyone, or to talk to someone about some business and whatnot, you gave each other a handshake (right), and thus saw that one came with no hostile intentions. One could of course not pull out the sword simultaneously. Funny enough it has survived up until today.

In my country we give the handshake all the time. There are no differences if we meet a person for the first time or an old acquaintance, and whether it's business, casual or a formal gathering/gather. Although, very close male friends and family usually give each other a hug. Women tend to give hugs instead of a handshake, even if the recipient is not a relative or a close friend.

What tradition and etiquette do you have regarding the handshake or some other greeting ritual?

Falkata
11-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Here when we meet a girl, we give her two kisses, no matter if it´s the first time or if she is an old friend. I´ve noticed this is different with the most of european countries, personal and embarrasing experience :D
With guys it´s the same though, a handshake

anonymaus
11-26-2009, 04:10 PM
What tradition and etiquette do you have regarding the handshake or some other greeting ritual?

The handshake is the standard, here. A too-weak one is considered rude, and the person should be considered untrustworthy--unless a woman is giving it.

I take this ritual almost as seriously as our ancestors did. Don't fuck it up if you meet me: I never forget a dead fish handshake.

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 04:13 PM
We great eachother with straight right arm and a fist on the heart...

Germanicus
11-26-2009, 04:17 PM
Here in England we delight ourselves into breaking each others hands in a welcoming handshake when we meet someone for the first time, it's expected dear boy..:)

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 04:22 PM
dear boy..:)Are you addressing me with that degenerate remark?

If so leave the patronising for someone who gives a shit.

Germanicus
11-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Are you addressing me with that degenerate remark?

WTF?

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Ignore my remark man...

One descent handshake your way!:thumb001:

Eldritch
11-26-2009, 04:40 PM
Are you addressing me with that degenerate remark?

I don't think Germanicus was addressing anyone in particular, just a figure of speech, I believe.

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 04:43 PM
I don't think Germanicus was addressing anyone in particular, just a figure of speech, I believe.

Allready sorted it out with Germanicus...

No harm done.

W. R.
11-26-2009, 04:46 PM
When a gentleman meets a lady it is not usual to shake her hand in my country. We all are male chauvinist pigs here.

Eldritch
11-26-2009, 04:47 PM

Here you shake hands usually only when you meet someone for the first time. After that a simple verbal greeting will do.

That is, among people my age. I notice younger guys sometime turning their hands upside down when they shake. Is that some whigger thing?

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 04:55 PM
That is, among people my age. I notice younger guys sometime turning their hands upside down when they shake. Is that some whigger thing?

It certainly is not. We do that all the time including a hug for real good friends.

Psychonaut
11-26-2009, 05:36 PM
I greet most men that I meet with a standard handshake:

http://www.xbrick.com/images/services/handshake.gif

I try to avoid any nonstandard shakes:

http://www.whatsthe411.ca/Content/Image/Articles/handshake.jpg

A too-weak one is considered rude, and the person should be considered untrustworthy--unless a woman is giving it.

I take this ritual almost as seriously as our ancestors did. Don't fuck it up if you meet me: I never forget a dead fish handshake.

YES!!! For as long as I can remember my grandfather warned me against giving someone the dreaded limp fish handshake! We would shake hands at the opening and closing of ever single visit. :)

Bard
11-26-2009, 05:42 PM
Handshake for men and a pair of kisses for women, if it's the first time you meet them, for close friends no physic contact needed "ciao" is enough.
By the way sometimes young people try some kind of "strange rapper handshake" which I usually fail, and jesus christ, it's embarassing, just give a normal handshake!

Cato
11-27-2009, 01:16 AM
I've read that the handshake began as a way of greeting among the followers of Mithras in Roman times.

Osweo
11-27-2009, 01:40 AM
Russian men do it every time they meet someone, not just the first. I quite like the custom, and wish we were a bit more like that. But you have to be careful not to do it across a threshold; that's very bad luck!

Women in England are very ready to give a hand at the first introduction. It's a bit odd when you've been off in Russland where it's not really the done thing. Here you're expected to give a little press, but you meet the odd strange woman who wants to play at doing it like a man. :p

As for the weak one, when I get that, I'm instantly disgusted with such a 'man'. I had one a bit ago, from my sister's friend, so I told him off about it in front of everyone... :....

Graham
11-27-2009, 01:50 AM
Quick nod of the head and a handshake. Or just nod

Beorn
11-27-2009, 02:02 AM
New person/stranger: Handshake.
Male friend/male relative: Handshake and a manly embrace.
Female stranger: A gentle handshake, perhaps a kiss if instigated by the female.
Female friend/female relative: A hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Loddfafner
11-27-2009, 03:03 AM
I make the opposite mistake from limp handshakes. My grip could crush bones.

Lulletje Rozewater
11-27-2009, 05:54 AM
I do not like shaking someone's hand.
Friends I hug.
Women I sniff and kiss,if it is Opium or Estee Lauder I kiss twice,if it is tobacco I just sniff:D

Aemma
11-27-2009, 06:27 AM
In a very formal setting/complete strangers/professional setting, I shake hands: firm, full palm and a couple of good pumps. None of this limpy stuff for me either.

But most other occasions, I hug and kiss, hello and goodbye! I'm French Canadian!! This is what we do!! (Plus, I'm a pretty touchy-feely person by nature anyway). Most of you here would be getting a hug from me as opposed to a handshake, so I guess you'll never know what my handshake is like. :P :D

Allenson
11-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Female stranger: A gentle handshake, perhaps a kiss if instigated by the female.

Exactly what we do around here except for the insigated kiss from a newly met woman.

Although, after several rounds at the bar...... :fplug:

And yep, nothing worse than a mealy handshake from another fellow.

Equinox
11-28-2009, 02:56 AM
I shake hands with strangers in the conventional way.

For my close friends or family we over-reach past the hand, holding the other's wrist in a solid embrace.

Women are hugged almost without exception. Otherwise a gentle handshake tends to suffice.

Mesrine
11-28-2009, 03:20 AM
In France, we kiss each other on the cheeks. It's our Arabic side. :D

Loki
11-28-2009, 11:16 AM
I would readily shake someone's hand, unless I notice that his hand is sweaty. Then I'll try to shy away in a discreet manner ... unless of course it's unavoidable, like going to a job interview. But in that case, I will sit through the entire interview, longing to go to the washroom to wash my hands. I like my hands to be clean at all times. Also for this reason, I never hold onto the bars on the London Underground with my bare hands.

Jamt
11-28-2009, 11:58 AM
I would readily shake someone's hand, unless I notice that his hand is sweaty. Then I'll try to shy away in a discreet manner ... unless of course it's unavoidable, like going to a job interview. But in that case, I will sit through the entire interview, longing to go to the washroom to wash my hands. I like my hands to be clean at all times. Also for this reason, I never hold onto the bars on the London Underground with my bare hands.

The hands of a banker will never be clean, Loki.

Also the attitude of not wanting to get your hands dirty may be a sign of laziness and un-Vikingness.

Loki
11-28-2009, 12:23 PM
The hands of a banker will never be clean, Loki.

Also the attitude of not wanting to get your hands dirty may be a sign of laziness and un-Vikingness.

Well I am not a Viking, so that would make sense. :D But as for laziness ... I cannot be charged with that, all my previous employers will tell you that. :thumb001:

Poltergeist
11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
Are we talking here about the real historical Vikings or Hollywood Vikings? :D

Liffrea
11-28-2009, 03:21 PM
One or two shakes is enough…….works for handshakes as well, no need to go over board with it. Faggot shakes like limp wrists and those freaks who grab your fingers instead of your palm annoy me.

It’s just social etiquette, I don’t like people who don’t look me in the eye, I immediately don’t trust a damn word they say, plus it’s rude. Equally annoying are the muppets who want to turn it into a contest of stare out…..some people just don’t understand how to behave properly.

I don’t mind hugs and kisses from women but I wouldn’t be comfortable if a man tried it, I understand it’s the norm in some countries but still…..

anonymaus
11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
One or two shakes is enough…….works for handshakes as well, no need to go over board with it. Faggot shakes like limp wrists and those freaks who grab your fingers instead of your palm annoy me.

It’s just social etiquette, I don’t like people who don’t look me in the eye, I immediately don’t trust a damn word they say, plus it’s rude. Equally annoying are the muppets who want to turn it into a contest of stare out…..some people just don’t understand how to behave properly.

I don’t mind hugs and kisses from women but I wouldn’t be comfortable if a man tried it, I understand it’s the norm in some countries but still…..

:high5

I completely forgot to mention the weird finger-grip shake and the lack of eye contact. Spot on.

Svarog
11-28-2009, 07:16 PM
I shake hands with guys of course, it is not unusual to cheek kiss male friend either, as for the female, same thing, a hand shake and a cheek kiss is always included, also, a simple lips kiss with a female friend is pretty normal too and is not considered as nothing but friendly greet. Hand shake does not mean to be a 'movie' like formal shaking, it also depends on the other person, of course I won't 'high-five' a boss or a professor.

The Black Prince
11-29-2009, 08:24 PM
The handshake dates back 2000 years when it was quite normal to go with a sword on oneself. It was typically located on the left side of the body, and you should use the right hand to pull it. If you then have to meet anyone, or to talk to someone about some business and whatnot, you gave each other a handshake (right), and thus saw that one came with no hostile intentions. One could of course not pull out the sword simultaneously. Funny enough it has survived up until today.

In my country we give the handshake all the time. There are no differences if we meet a person for the first time or an old acquaintance, and whether it's business, casual or a formal gathering/gather. Although, very close male friends and family usually give each other a hug. Women tend to give hugs instead of a handshake, even if the recipient is not a relative or a close friend.

Nice story.:)

And yes, here in the Netherlands traditionally it goes the same way, however nowadays in the urban parts the 'American way' gets to be more common (the hugging and holding, even between men).

The only difference with our tradition and yours seem to be the greeting between men and women. When formal just a handshake, but when informal a handshake is followed with three kisses on the cheeks (only between man and woman, or two women when meeting). Males always shake hands wether formal or informal.

W. R.
04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
When a gentleman meets a lady it is not usual to shake her hand in my country. We all are male chauvinist pigs here.Also this is a greeting that keeps the distance. I'd feel odd if I had to shake hands with my relatives: my uncle, father or grandfather even after we haven't seen one another for a long time.

Bloodeagle
04-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Handshakes are customary as many Americans have already posted. To me a limp handshakes convey a weak demeanor and overly firm shakes, convey that the other person has something to prove.

Often, at work I will not shake hands with a new person, but instead, give them a (What's Up? or Hey!), with a tilt of the head, not really giving a shit if they stick around or not, so not worth a handshake. :)

Black Sun Dimension
04-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Handshakes are customary as many Americans have already posted. To me a limp handshakes convey a weak demeanor and overly firm shakes, convey that the other person has something to prove.

Often, at work I will not shake hands with a new person, but instead, give them a (What's Up? or Hey!), with a tilt of the head, not really giving a shit if they stick around or not, so not worth a handshake. :)

Handshakes ought to be quick as well...I hate when people dont let go after a second.

When that happens I make a slight pull...like telling *give me my fucking hand back*.

Comte Arnau
04-30-2011, 11:58 PM
Here when we meet a girl, we give her two kisses, no matter if it´s the first time or if she is an old friend.

Kisses? Or rather cheek bumping? :D

Kosovo je Sjrbia
05-05-2011, 10:40 PM
handshake is dirty, I prefer more hygienic greetings as the Roman salute.

Efim45
05-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I hate how when you're going in for a handshake and you have to look at the other guy's hand to make sure you don't miss it.

Bloodeagle
05-06-2011, 05:24 AM
handshake is dirty, I prefer more hygienic greetings as the Roman salute.
Dude relax and carry around a bottle of hand sanitizer, or shake with one hand and eat with your other hand. :)

I hate how when you're going in for a handshake and you have to look at the other guy's hand to make sure you don't miss it.

When I shake I keep the hand in my peripheral vision, never letting my eyes stray from theirs. I haven't missed a hand yet, it would be awkward as hell if I did, though. :D

Boudica
05-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Thats awesome, I never knew that about the handshake.. My greeting ritual is just me awkwardly smiling and waving my hand.. lol..

la bombe
05-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Here when we meet a girl, we give her two kisses, no matter if it´s the first time or if she is an old friend. I´ve noticed this is different with the most of european countries, personal and embarrasing experience :D

It's the same in the US. I always get incredibly awkward when people from other countries do the cheek kiss thing. I definitely prefer a handshake.

TheCelt
05-17-2011, 02:25 PM
double post

TheCelt
05-17-2011, 02:26 PM

same here

I make the opposite mistake from limp handshakes. My grip could crush bones.

hmm, wonder how it would go if we shook hands since i have the same effect.. an explosion of some sort perhaps. ;)

Winterwolf
05-20-2011, 10:28 PM
A handshake is standard in Germany for introduction an greeting people, which aren't that close to you and it's considered to be rude to refuse it.
When I was in the US I had to learn that a handshake isn't standard over there for greeting each other. I thought the people don't like me, before I realised it's just not that much common.

For male good friends you can give a manly hug and/or some pats on the shoulder.

For female good friends one can give a slight kiss on each cheek. That makes 2 kisses in Germany, but it can lead to confusion when Frenchies are within the round, because they usually give 3 kisses and they always look confused and a little bit embarrassed, when a German stops after 2 kisses. :D
The kisses aren't common in all of Germany, the more north you go, the less common it is, in the south it's rather common to exchange slight kisses.
(Anyway never do that with unknown females, for it would be considered intrusive, the kissing is reserved for good friends.)

Lucretius
05-27-2011, 09:21 AM
well in my country is a custom to shake hands both men and women,usually,if not forced i'd preferred to avoid it for hygienic reasons,it's much better the roman salute:D

LouisFerdinand
03-28-2017, 07:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1uBnt2V0V0

Grab the Gauge
04-23-2017, 10:56 PM
You know the handshake is cool... BUT THE FIST-ASS RULES.

Lucas
04-25-2017, 05:06 PM
lol:)