PDA

View Full Version : Hindu sacrifice of 250,000 animals + Video (Graphic)

Sol Invictus
11-26-2009, 05:14 PM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=532_1259211013

Cheers and protests as thousands of buffalo are decapitated at start of festival in Nepal honouring Hindu goddess Gadhimai

The world's biggest animal sacrifice began in Nepal today with the killing of the first of more than 250,000 animals as part of a Hindu festival in the village of Bariyapur, near the border with India.

The event, which happens every five years, began with the decapitation of thousands of buffalo, killed in honour of Gadhimai, a Hindu goddess of power.

With up to a million worshippers on the roads near the festival grounds, this year's fair seems more popular than ever, despite vocal protests from animals rights groups who have called for it to be banned. "It is the traditional way, " explained 45-year old Manoj Shah, a Nepali driver who has been attending the event since he was six, "If we want anything, and we come here with an offering to the goddess, within five years all our dreams will be fulfilled." .

Crowds thronged the roads and camped out in the open, wrapped in blankets against the cool mist. The festivities included a ferris wheel, fortune-telling robots and stalls broadcasting music and offering tea and sugary snacks.

As dawn broke, the fair officially opened with the sacrifice of two rats, two pigeons, a pig, a lamb and a rooster in the main temple, to cheers of "Long live Gadhimai" from spectators pushing against each other for a better view.

In the main event, 250 appointed residents with traditional kukri knives began their task of decapitating more than 10,000 buffalo in a dusty enclosure guarded by high walls and armed police.

Frightened calves galloped around in vain as the men, wearing red bandanas and armbands, pursued them and chopped off their heads. Banned from entering the animal pen, hundreds of visitors scrambled up the three-metre walls to catch a glimpse of the carnage.

The dead beasts will be sold to companies who will profit from the sale of the meat, bones and hide. Organisers will funnel the proceeds into development of the area, including the temple upkeep.

On the eve of the event, protesters made a final plea to organisers by cracking open coconuts in a nearby temple as a symbolic sacrifice. "It is cruel and inhumane. We've always been a superstitious country, but I don't think sacrifice has to be part of the Hindu religion," said the protest organiser, Pramada Shah.

The campaign has the support of the French actor Brigitte Bardot, who has petitioned the Nepalese prime minister, Madhav Kumar Nepal, about the issue. But the government, which donated Ł36,500 to the event, has shown no sign of discontinuing the centuries-old tradition. An attempt by the previous government to cut the budget for animal sacrifice provoked street protests.

Chandan Dev Chaudhary, a Hindu priest, said he was pleased with the festival's high turnout and insisted tradition had to be kept. "The goddess needs blood," he said. "Then that person can make his wishes come true."

Gooding
11-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Animal sacrifice in this day and age..well, at least a lot of hungry people were fed..

anonymaus
11-26-2009, 05:24 PM
The campaign has the support of the French actor Brigitte Bardot, who has petitioned the Nepalese prime minister, Madhav Kumar Nepal, about the issue.

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/0/0b/RAGE_Mouse.gif

Chandan Dev Chaudhary, a Hindu priest, said he was pleased with the festival's high turnout and insisted tradition had to be kept. "The goddess needs blood," he said. "Then that person can make his wishes come true."

Why can't people this ignorant and dangerous be sacrificed instead?

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM
Well this is a drop on a burning stove...

Here in the Netherlands loads of sheep and goats are sacrificed in name of the Muslim religion.

And were not talking about a mere 25.000...

Anthropos
11-26-2009, 05:31 PM
And Westerners stand above all this, I see. Everyone is very ahimsa in the West... Noone kills animals. LOL. We just sacrifice our own children, which is much better than what all these uncivilised folks are up to. :mmmm:

Cato
11-26-2009, 05:39 PM
:eek:

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 05:41 PM
And Westerners stand above all this, I see. Everyone is very ahimsa in the West... Noone kills animals. LOL. We just sacrifice our own children, which is much better than what all these uncivilised folks are up to. :mmmm:

Westeners kill to eat, plain and simple...

Some other cultures (like muslims) kill animals in act of religion. I see a big difference between the two.
Specially how the animal is killed.

Cail
11-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Westeners kill to eat, plain and simple...

Some other cultures (like muslims) kill animals in act of religion. I see a big difference between the two.
As much as i dislike religion, i have to disagree - they are eaten anyway in the end, so there is no difference whatsoever.

How do the wild animals kill their prey? Do you think they stun it or smth?

MarcvSS
11-26-2009, 06:23 PM
As much as i dislike religion, i have to disagree - they are eaten anyway in the end, so there is no difference whatsoever. Oh really?

I didn't know muslims made cow and pig food out the remains. Westerners do just that. Almost no part of the animal is not used.
Ofcourse westerners kill more than needed, no where did I say otherwise.
But in the end its all for food.

How do the wild animals kill their prey? Do you think they stun it or smth?We aren't discussing kills amongst wild animals and apart from that, an animal will make a kill swift and clean.

A tiger or wolf for instance will attack and snap the neck or throat a soon as possible. Thats because it hungry and its not for the pleasure of the kill nor killing for your god.

In the muslim religion its all about the way of the kill. No anastetic, draining the blood slowly, cutting the meat whilest the animal is gasping for its last breath.

Liffrea
11-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by anonymaus
Why can't people this ignorant and dangerous be sacrificed instead?

Quite, I don’t agree with sacrificing animals….humans, now there’s an idea, a few hung in the name of Odin, fashion a spear and all…..hmmm.

"The goddess needs blood,"

Superstition is a senseless fear of God; religion, the pious worship of God.
Cicero

Ulf
11-27-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't understand, they killed a bunch of animals and it fed a bunch of people. How is that different from what goes on everyday in every industrialised nation in the world? They sacrificed those animals to their goddess instead of Ronald McDonald and Walmart.

Beorn
11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Who cares. It isn't European. It isn't pertinent to Europe and it is not our right to judge other cultures, however unseemly or bloodthirsty it may seem.

Now if it was 250,000 animals sacrificed by Hindus in Suffolk, then we would have problems.

Cato
11-27-2009, 01:04 AM
It's more sickening that it was done in such a dirty manner. All those carcasses left to lie on the ground like that, yuck.

Osweo
11-27-2009, 01:04 AM
Who cares. It isn't European. It isn't pertinent to Europe and it is not our right to judge other cultures, however unseemly or bloodthirsty it may seem.
I disagree. For one thing, it is highly pertinent that our peoples at least KNOW how appallingly savage these foreigners are 'who just have a different skin colour'.
For another, Europe is not in a vacuum, and can have an impact elsewhere. If we can prevent unnecessary barbarism, I think we should. Nepal must surely need certain things from us, and we should use our position to stop things like this.

Would you extend your principle to bearbaiting in Pakistan?

I don't understand, they killed a bunch of animals and it fed a bunch of people. How is that different from what goes on everyday in every industrialised nation in the world? They sacrificed those animals to their goddess instead of Ronald McDonald and Walmart.
Did you not watch the video? Terrified calves stumbling around over the heads, bodies and gore of thousands of their fellows, just waiting to get the same themselves. I've never seen an abattoir quite like that...

The method of killing was however infinitely more humane than that used in kosher slaughterhouses I've seen videos of in the USA. :(

Beorn
11-27-2009, 01:10 AM
For one thing, it is highly pertinent that our peoples at least KNOW how appallingly savage these foreigners are 'who just have a different skin colour'.

I can't find fault with that logic. Indeed, on the Green Arrow it was said: "Different religions but same people really and they all seem to have a thing about blood and lopping heads off...*snip*...Of course all cultures are equal. And if you believe that you are barking mad."

My point was simply that we should not be too judgemental upon other cultures unless they affect our own on our own lands.

Cato
11-27-2009, 01:13 AM
Cows getting the Hassan Chop! treatment en masse. Aren't cows supposed to be sacred to Hindus? Well, anyways, that's a holy hamburger pile.

Majar
11-27-2009, 09:39 AM
In the muslim religion its all about the way of the kill. No anastetic, draining the blood slowly, cutting the meat whilest the animal is gasping for its last breath.

It happens this way on small farms across Eastern Europe. I have witnessed and participated in the slaughter of animals in a similar fashion to 'halal' slaughter (no electrical stunning, sharp knife). It is not pleasant, but not unpleasant enough to keep me from enjoying the tasty rewards. All animal slaughter involves pain, anyone who is seriously concerned about whether or not their dinner felt pain should switch to vegetarianism. Concern about animal rights emerged in 19th century England in conjunction with other social reforms pushed by upper class busy-bodies, almost all of it aimed at controlling the 'vulgar' activities of working class people.

Fred
11-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Quite, I don’t agree with sacrificing animals….humans, now there’s an idea, a few hung in the name of Odin, fashion a spear and all…..hmmm.

"The goddess needs blood,"

Superstition is a senseless fear of God; religion, the pious worship of God.
Cicero

Westeners kill to eat, plain and simple... (http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/153901/?searchterm=Krazy+Kripples)

I don't understand, they killed a bunch of animals and it fed a bunch of people. How is that different from what goes on everyday in every industrialised nation in the world? They sacrificed those animals to their goddess (http://www.documentingreality.com/forum/f166/the-beheading-great-britain-s-kenneth-bigley-17131/) instead of Ronald McDonald and Walmart.

Who cares. It isn't European. It isn't pertinent to Europe and it is not our right to judge other cultures, however unseemly or bloodthirsty (http://vodpod.com/watch/1712177-daniel-pearl) it may seem.

Now if it was 250,000 animals sacrificed by Hindus in Suffolk, then we would have problems.

I can't find fault with that logic. Indeed, on the Green Arrow it was said: "Different religions but same people really and they all seem to have a thing about blood and lopping heads off...*snip*...Of course all cultures are equal. And if you believe that you are barking mad."

My point was simply that we should not be too judgemental upon other cultures unless they affect our own (http://vodpod.com/watch/1900085-nick-berg-beheading) on our own lands.

Cows getting the Hassan Chop! treatment en masse. Aren't cows supposed to be sacred to Hindus? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTEWP1hx4jg) Well, anyways, that's a holy hamburger pile.

Cato
11-27-2009, 02:35 PM
HABIB CHOP!

Poltergeist
11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Hecatomb (http://pediaview.com/openpedia/Hekatombaia)

Cato
11-27-2009, 02:47 PM
The grandfather of all hecatombs.

Agrippa
11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
It can be worse, various Indoeuropean people sacrificed humans as well, f.e. when a very important Scythian leader, king died, they got sometimes company by their women and mistresses, as well as some servants and young warrior - all for one man, for his life after death we can assume.

The Germanics offered human sacrifice too, one form of execution or sacrifice was to throw the individual in a marsh alive.

Etc., etc.

So actually, many gruesome activities against humans are not that far away - I might also mention torture in its more primitive form in particular - and not talking about war and weapons so far.

Most such animal sacrifices end with a big meal for the mass anyway, so while I can understand the concern of some and wouldnt like it to be done that way - especially the mass of the animals and how they lie around doesnt look nice, I dont think this is really a good case for "Indian Primitivism" - rather not, rather harmless.

Not talking about those Hindus which dont slaughter and eat cattle or even no meat at all - this is more decadent than this mass slaughter I'd say, yet its also present on the subcontinent.

Interesting, but not that shocking.

If you want to see a decadent animal-torture, look at China, because they have new methods for a rich upper class to get their food alive, some sort of stimuli for those who really like their food fresh... Picking and boiling of living chicken, or a fish being fried (wet drapery around the head and lets go...) and eaten alive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivstO1Nv0rY

Thats more problematic to me, not just because of the animals and their suffering, but its no tradition, but just a more recent perversion and if people do that to animals, I dont really trust them if its about humans neither I'd say - whats the main issue with such things, especially if one can smell the Sadism and there is no practical reason for a cruel handling of the creature.

Cato
11-27-2009, 03:33 PM
Vile gourmands.

Dweller23
07-18-2015, 08:05 PM
Gypsies eat dogs in Slovakian steppe.

Dandelion
07-18-2015, 08:15 PM
And Westerners stand above all this, I see.

Westerners often have the unnerving habit of feeling superior just because we use toilet paper.

EDIT: water is more hygienic nonetheless.

Sally the first
08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
how dare they call themselves humans in the first place?

Excel
08-14-2015, 06:26 PM
Digusting ungrateful pagans who will burn in he'll.

Dandelion
08-14-2015, 06:29 PM
They should sacrifice people, like the Aztec and Mayans did.

Arcadefire
08-14-2015, 06:30 PM
lol this thread. Yea animal sacrifice is part of our culture. We eat the meat we kill... go figure its probably better than sport hunting . Get the fuck off your high horse.

Dandelion
08-14-2015, 06:34 PM
lol this thread. Yea animal sacrifice is part of our culture. We eat the meat we kill... go figure its probably better than sport hunting . Get the fuck off your high horse.

I thought you left the carcasses to rot. This changes perspectives.

Just kidding: I am inventing stuff to rationalise outcry. :p

Visage pâle
08-14-2015, 06:36 PM

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. " Gandhi

Excel
08-14-2015, 06:39 PM
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated. " Gandhi

Ghandi was an idiot, why do people quote him?

Just tired of bullocks.

Arcadefire
08-14-2015, 06:40 PM
I thought you left the carcasses to rot. This changes perspectives.
There is a mass ritual of animal killings and most of the people who perform the killings are not the most efficient butchers nor do they have the best tools. So you can imagine certain amount of the meat probably does go to waste. It is however nothing like the article makes it seem. The article was initially pushed by a Christian blogging site with their anti Pagan rhetoric.

They re-released this article when Nepal went through weeks of earth quakes and made it seem like , it was an act of god to punish the animal sacrificing pagans lol.

Anthony PV
08-14-2015, 06:40 PM
how dare they call themselves humans in the first place?
Oh, get off your high horse, Sally! Humans have killed animals and eaten their meat in order to live since the beginning of times! :eviltongue:

Digusting ungrateful pagans who will burn in he'll.
Shut up, you Jihadist hypocrite! :eviltongue:

wvwvw
08-14-2015, 06:42 PM
As long as they don't sacrifice humans it's all good ;)

Excel
08-14-2015, 06:45 PM
Oh, get off your high horse, Sally! Humans have killed animals and eaten their meat in order to live since the beginning of times! :eviltongue:

Shut up, you Jihadist hypocrite! :eviltongue:

You Arab.

Shah-Jehan
08-14-2015, 06:46 PM
There is a mass ritual of animal killings and most of the people who perform the killings are not the most efficient butchers nor do they have the best tools. So you can imagine certain amount of the meat probably does go to waste. It is however nothing like the article makes it seem. The article was initially pushed by a Christian blogging site with their anti Pagan rhetoric.

They re-released this article when Nepal went through weeks of earth quakes and made it seem like , it was an act of god to punish the animal sacrificing pagans lol.

Are Brahmins of Nepal vegetarian like the majority of Brahmins or meat-eaters like Brahmins of Bengal, Assam and Kashmir?

Arcadefire
08-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Are Brahmins of Nepal vegetarian like the majority of Brahmins or meat-eaters like Brahmins of Bengal, Assam and Kashmir?
Nah we are meat eaters. There isnt enough diversity in vegetation for one to live off of in Nepal. Plus farming in a hilly terrain is virtually impossible without modern machinery.

wvwvw
08-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Ghandi was an idiot, why do people quote him?

Just tired of bullocks.
He did make some great quotes

http://optimistnet.com/posts-images/2014/12/11/27262_419776_0011010001418307608.jpg

http://lifetimequotes.info/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Mahatma-Gandhi-Quotes.jpg

Jihadi Somalis should heed his advice :nod

Arcadefire
08-14-2015, 06:55 PM
I personally feel indifferent to Gandhi. But why does a Somali muslim dislike him? Because of the backlash muslims faced in partitioned India?

Excel
08-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I find Nelson Mandela equally annoying, over hyped meaningless, useless people.

All I love and look up to within mankind is prophet Muhammad pbuh.

Sally the first
08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
animals killed to be eaten are killed in a certain merciful way and we all know that they're only slaughtered according to the ISLAMIC sharia , we don't do that! besides YOU don't participate in the killing process I highly doubt you would kill anything with your own hands to eat it let alone sacrifice for the goddess of blood or whatever like really??????

Vigilance
01-20-2018, 04:22 PM
Technically this isn't Orthodox Hinduism because it isn't conducted by Vedic priests proficient in Vedic rituals using Vedic hymns.

This is "popular masses Hinduism" which incorporates customs outside of "pure Hinduism", a mix of Aryan and non-Aryan. In Tamil Nadu they slaughter goats and chickens. Ritual sacrifice "for the Gods" existed all throughout the world, in different religions.

Vedic rituals did include animals but that method has been abandoned owing to Buddhist influence and vegetarianism of the Brahmins.

I do agree that the practice of the particular people discussed is messed up though.