PDA

View Full Version : Y-DNA J2a vs J2b .. did they enter Europe at different times, from different places?

Sikeliot
01-19-2014, 06:27 PM
Looking through Relative Finder on 23andme, I have many relatives who are J2a, but not many who are J2b.
I am just curious.

Black Wolf
01-19-2014, 06:30 PM
We need ancient DNA results especially from the Mediterranean to know this for sure or not but I do think J2a and J2b entered Europe at different times most likely. I think J2b may have mostly entered Europe during the Neolithic and J2a may have even come later mostly during the Bronze Age. Just my thoughts though which may not be worth much lol.

Sikeliot
01-19-2014, 06:34 PM
I do have some J2b relatives, but more J2a.
J2b seems to be associated with the Balkans, and ancient Greeks and Illyrians whereas J2a is frequent in the Near East.

kabeiros
01-19-2014, 06:35 PM
The split between J2a and J2b is very old and their history within the Mediterranean basin is too complex to make any reliable estimations of their origins. Generally J2b is most frequent in the Balkans (Albanians have 10-15%, Greeks 5-10%, Greeks from Ionia have 5-6%, Sicilians and Cretans have around 4%) but has an elevated frequency in central/south Asia even among lower class Indians. J2a on the other hand is most frequent among Cretans, Cypriots, Pontians, S/Italians, Sicilians, Armenians, Georgians, Iranians, Turks, Lebanese (all have above 20%) but somewhat less frequent in the Balkans and central south Asia.

Omega
01-19-2014, 06:38 PM
There's a really strong overlap distributionwise of J2b & E-V13 in Europe. Imo it entered Europe as a minor lineage aside E-V13 during the Neolithicum. J2a then came later with T and J1 lineages.